Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, TexasBuckeye said:

If Urban while at Ohio State could recruit the best players from under UT, imagine what he could recruit as coach of the Longhorns. National Champs in 3 years.

But he would be crazy to leave his cushy job as one of the talking heads.

He way to successful to go to the Saban school for rehabilitating wayward HCs, he serving time at the ESPN booth version.  

He will be coaching again this time next year, probably getting ready for whichever CCG is relevant.   Or NFL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chooky said:

Texas isn't a place where you have to be a piece of shit to win.

College Station is a place where you have to be a piece of shit to win.

Baylor's best days were with an unrivaled, fetid, steaming piece of shit at the helm and they just learned that they don't have to be hot, liquid feces to win.

Oklahoma is a place where you don't need a piece of shit to win.  But they gravitate toward it.  The shit will always just seep from their pores.  Bud Wilkinson wasn't a piece of shit but the OU fanbase chose Barry Switzer as their legacy because he was a piece of shit and taught them how to take pride in being jagged chunks of shit.  

I don't want a piece of shit at the helm because Texas can win without being pieces of shit.

Texas has been irrelevant for a decade. This is no longer a powerhouse. Spare me the "We're Texas" stuff. I mean, what does that even mean anymore? These recruits have grown up seeing Texas get their shit pushed in for 10 years. They have seen Baylor and TCU dominate us and have more success this decade. Texas is a 'blue blood' program based on its history. They are no longer an elite football program. They have not had a few down years. It has been a down decade. That is bad.

We won our last NC because of an all world QB. That comes around once in a few generations.

How long are you going to keep this idea that Texas does not need an Urban  type coach to win? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Texas has been irrelevant for a decade. This is no longer a powerhouse. Spare me the "We're Texas" stuff. I mean, what does that even mean anymore? These recruits have grown up seeing Texas get their shit pushed in for 10 years. They have seen Baylor and TCU dominate us and have more success this decade. Texas is a 'blue blood' program based on its history. They are no longer an elite football program. They have not had a few down years. It has been a down decade. That is bad.

We won our last NC because of an all world QB. That comes around once in a few generations.

How long are you going to keep this idea that Texas does not need an Urban  type coach to win? 

Better pull the trigger now because the current season ticket subscription count is going to take a BIG hit next year.....  and with all the stadium expansion, oh my.  Wait, I forgot. We're Texas and revenue will be the same with a half empty stadium.

Just my .02 but I think  Texas is always struggling with an identity crisis. You want to be Stanford and you want to be Alabama. Until you realize you can't be both, you'll be neither. I say that with all due respect.

Texas is a sleeping giant and will remain that way until you decide you truly want to be a powerhouse. I'm not proud of the shit that goes on in the SEC but I do enjoy winning so there's that.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Deej said:

But we can be Stanford on the academic side, while being Bama on the athletic side.

I don't think you can. You'd have to pass on a lot of really good athletes that couldn't get in. You can still be a very good program however. Maybe I'm just jaded from all the cheating in the SEC?

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, austintiger said:

I don't think you can. You'd have to pass on a lot of really good athletes that couldn't get in. You can still be a very good program however. Maybe I'm just jaded from all the cheating in the SEC?

We're not Stanford, but we can be Ohio State without the Zach Smith shit. Good academics with a powerhouse football program. We just decide to drag our dicks and give G5 coaches a shot. 

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We're not Stanford, but we can be Ohio State without the Zach Smith shit. Good academics with a powerhouse football program. We just decide to drag our dicks and give G5 coaches a shot. 

Ohio State is certainly a hell of a bar to reach for no doubt. You're right though. You've definitely made some horrible choices at head coach and we would have made the same mistake you did had he not been offered the Texas job. We wanted him as bad as you did. Any LSU fan that says otherwise is full of shit.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, austintiger said:

Ohio State is certainly a hell of a bar to reach for no doubt. You're right though. You've definitely made some horrible choices at head coach and we would have made the same mistake you did had he not been offered the Texas job. We wanted him as bad as you did. Any LSU fan that says otherwise is full of shit.

For sure. For all the shit we give Orgeron, the dude finally figured out to hire smarter people and stay the fuck out of the way. We, unfortunately, have a walking dildo who fancies himself as someone who's "smart", but can't seem to grasp even the basics of the game. It's truly a sight to behold. I'm actually jealous of y'all. 

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

For sure. For all the shit we give Orgeron, the dude finally figured out to hire smarter people and stay the fuck out of the way. We, unfortunately, have a walking dildo who fancies himself as someone who's "smart", but can't seem to grasp even the basics of the game. It's truly a sight to behold. I'm actually jealous of y'all. 

It's fun but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a little voice telling me it's one of those "lightning in a bottle" years and we'll fall back down to earth next season. I do know I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, austintiger said:

It's fun but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a little voice telling me it's one of those "lightning in a bottle" years and we'll fall back down to earth next season. I do know I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

As you should. You're at the very top with a good chance at a NC, so enjoy it while it's there. 

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Aaron Hernandez is not even close to the same thing as what happened at Baylor and the cover up. Why do people keep comparing the 2? Texas had plenty of criminals in our winning days under Mack. But no one cared because we won.

Guarantee if Urban came here and we started to have the success he has had, no one would give two fucks about his past. It's easy to say it now because we suck and morality is the only thing left to cling to.

I feel like Urban would get a kick out of wrecking shop at a place where Herman failed. He’s got that kind of personality. 

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Aaron Hernandez is not even close to the same thing as what happened at Baylor and the cover up. Why do people keep comparing the 2? Texas had plenty of criminals in our winning days under Mack. But no one cared because we won.

Guarantee if Urban came here and we started to have the success he has had, no one would give two fucks about his past. It's easy to say it now because we suck and morality is the only thing left to cling to.

It’s amazing what people forget when it’s convenient. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Like you said, Texas has had as many criminals when Mack was coach. Urban had nothing to do with Aaron being a murderer. All schools recruit bad seeds, and singling out Hernandez because of what happened after he left Florida is stupid. Mack recruited a pedophile, had 3 kids robbing dudes, and there's one or two that spent time in prison. Erik Hardeman is one that I know of. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Like you said, Texas has had as many criminals when Mack was coach. Urban had nothing to do with Aaron being a murderer. All schools recruit bad seeds, and singling out Hernandez because of what happened after he left Florida is stupid. Mack recruited a pedophile, had 3 kids robbing dudes, and there's one or two that spent time in prison. Erik Hardeman is one that I know of. 

I agree with this. It may be unpopular opinion, but it’s not like Urban supplied the gun.

• Like 1

I actually think if tom was better in the press conferences I’d be fine with giving him another year.  I really think all he would have had to do is not have shake voice, and take responsibility for the garbage on the field.  too bad he couldn’t do either of those things.  put me down for $100 of his buyout. 

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

You're a blueblood for a very, very long time. Michigan's last AP National Championship was 1997, and they've been fucking abused by their rival ever since. Nebraska's still a blueblood, FFS. Notre Dame (last NC was ' 88), Michigan, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, Texas, Nebraska, Alabama. That's it.

Meyer has run out of luck, and the NCAA would be up your ass from day one. From an outsider's POV, I don't see any scenario when the divided "powers that be" at UT agree on Urban Meyer. The guy is toxic. Kyle Whittingham is your best bet, and he'll bolt for Austin as fast as Urban bolted for Gainesville, too. 

What you guys have to ask yourselves RE: NCAA goings on: Who knew what at tOSU RE: spousal abuse, and when did they know it? tOSU got lucky that Urban snaked out when he did, and they didn't get kicked in the nuts by the NCAA. Keep the integrity, but go for the throat, and hire Kyle Whittingham. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

You're a blueblood for a very, very long time. Michigan's last AP National Championship was 1997, and they've been fucking abused by their rival ever since. Nebraska's still a blueblood, FFS. Notre Dame (last NC was ' 88), Michigan, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, Texas, Nebraska, Alabama. That's it.

Meyer has run out of luck, and the NCAA would be up your ass from day one. From an outsider's POV, I don't see any scenario when the divided "powers that be" at UT agree on Urban Meyer. The guy is toxic. Kyle Whittingham is your best bet, and he'll bolt for Austin as fast as Urban bolted for Gainesville, too. 

What you guys have to ask yourselves RE: NCAA goings on: Who knew what at tOSU RE: spousal abuse, and when did they know it? tOSU got lucky that Urban snaked out when he did, and they didn't get kicked in the nuts by the NCAA. Keep the integrity, but go for the throat, and hire Kyle Whittingham. 

I get what you're saying, but the NCAA wouldn't do shit to tOSU. University of Ohio would be in deep shit, however. I'd personally like to take a chance on Whittingham, but he's been at Utah for 15 years, and I don't see him bolting. He's Petersen/Harsin/Patterson with his job stability and comfort. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I get what you're saying, but the NCAA wouldn't do shit to tOSU. University of Ohio would be in deep shit, however. I'd personally like to take a chance on Whittingham, but he's been at Utah for 15 years, and I don't see him bolting. He's Petersen/Harsin/Patterson with his job stability and comfort. 

I think he'll bolt. Blueblood vs. being stuck in Salt Lake City? Urban left for less. 

He's someone that both factions of "the powers that be" can have no resignations against. He's a good guy. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

18 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Whittingham walks on water at Utah, RE his job security and stability.

6 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Whittingham walks on water at Utah, RE his job security and stability.

but, he's forced to do more with less.

That's the guy you want. No five-star wants to go to Salt Lake City from out-of-state. If they do, they're probably Mormon from the Pacific Islands. 

Austin? Let's see what he does with 5-stars. Qualifier: I've lived in Boulder for 12 and 1/2 years. Some cities are better than others... and SLC ranks around Tulsa if you're not a Mormon. SLC's beautiful, but the people.... OMG- Tulsa-level.

Edited by BoomerSooner2578

If we are to believe the Houston Chronicle, Tom Herman called the team captains together and told them that despite the news reports he wasn't going anywhere. Days later he left them for the Texas job.  A coach should have the right to move on to another program. Most coaches have been able to navigate this process without leaving their players feeling betrayed and lied to. The man went to strip clubs on recruiting trips, with the explanation that "my wife knew where I was" Some may not have a problem with this but considering what he has admitted to doing, other reports about him seem more credible. These include cheating on his wife numerous times, frequenting massage parlors and using cocaine. With our own eyes, we saw him mocking an opposing player on the sideline during a game. As a fan, I would say that Tom Herman has generally acted like an embarrassing idiot since arriving. Urban Meyer would represent the University of Texas in a much more dignified way.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, futureman said:

I actually think if tom was better in the press conferences I’d be fine with giving him another year.  I really think all he would have had to do is not have shake voice, and take responsibility for the garbage on the field.  too bad he couldn’t do either of those things.  put me down for $100 of his buyout. 

I knew you were one of those BMD's.

I wanted Whittingham the last 2 times we hired a coach. His teams play great D, never look lost, are smart and are fundamentally sound. Sometimes they get out-talented but rarely out coached or lose because of a multitude of mental mistakes.

4 hours ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

but, he's forced to do more with less.

That's the guy you want. No five-star wants to go to Salt Lake City from out-of-state. If they do, they're probably Mormon from the Pacific Islands. 

Austin? Let's see what he does with 5-stars. Qualifier: I've lived in Boulder for 12 and 1/2 years. Some cities are better than others... and SLC ranks around Tulsa if you're not a Mormon. SLC's beautiful, but the people.... OMG- Tulsa-level.

I'd be on board with Wittingham, Campbell, Gundy, Rhule, Harsin, or a coordinator, and probably in that order.

This year is embarrassing. You have sam, dev, sometimes CJ, 2 good RB’s, sterns,bj, Foster, the DL, ossai (whatever position he plays) and you can’t contend for the big xii. I know many were hurt, but that doesn’t excuse being the worst defense. Talent wasted. At least Charlie didn’t have the talent like Tom did. (Before anyone says anything, yes Charlie should’ve been fired/never hired. ) tom has the talent and can’t do anything. Urban meyer would get us to the playoff next year or at least snubbed from the playoffs. Doesn’t matter, we all know he isn’t going to get fired. This summer we will hear about how the new staff is really different this time. The 9.95ers really mean it this time! 10th years the charm right? Maybe with the changes, we’ll squeak past 8 wins. Then the following year we’ll have a freshman qb, hello darkness my constant friend.

This would be how I hope our AD would operate.  Start getting BMDs thinking about being willing to help if a change and buyout of TH needs to happen.  Have a back channel conversation with Urban.  Gauge his interest. Assuming the interest is there, bring up the off the field issues at Florida and Ohio State and ask if he's thought about how he can keep them from happening in the future.  See if he would be okay with some additional off the field help (i.e. oversight) if he were to become coach at Texas.  If he shows no signs of consideration of what he should do differently at his next coaching gig and/or finds additional help/oversight unacceptable, then pass without any public perception that anything has happened.  Move on to plan B, which may just need to be to keep Herman and give him support in hiring the best staff possible.

But if Urban's responses are acceptable and indicate the risks associated with his hire can be mitigated, then come to terms with Urban on a top 3 salary.  Terminate Herman as soon as a public announcement that Urban is our next coach can be made so as to keep the recruiting class from completely disintegrating.

Be decisive and bold so that all of the above plays out one way or the other within the next 2-3 weeks.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Whatever said:
5 hours ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

Read more  

I wanted Whittingham the last 2 times we hired a coach. His teams play great D, never look lost, are smart and are fundamentally sound. Sometimes they get out-talented but rarely out coached or lose because of a multitude of mental mistakes.

We’re wanting to hire another one of Meyers ex-coordinators as our HC? I guess we’re hoping the third time is a charm? 

My main question about Whittingham is, why has he been in Utah for so long if he’s the next great head coach?

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic