Why do we keep fucking this up?

GhostOfTomJoad

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I wonder how much this current generation cares about sports in general. Seems they are not near as passionate about sports as our generations..

It may not be generational, per se (it might be), but the applicant pool and student body is currently not a prime sports audience, that's for damn sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

this is mackovic all over again, arrogant, offensive coach who doesn't know dick about being a HC at a big time program.  He's done.  the question is if it will go another 2 years like it did with mackovic.

QFT. Or rather, quoted for being absolutely 100% dead fucking on.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Because we hire a guy and then let him choose safe hires instead of insisting he get the best coaches available? Or because we go with the “hot name” instead of doing a more thorough search?

Everyone on here wanted Herman. Go back and read the threads.

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

This revisionist narrative that Herman was a panic hire is bullshit. The BMDs fixated on him in year 2 of Charlie. That LSU came open when it did was just gravy for Herman to bid up his contract. 

Do we really know that, though?  Yes a lot of people were talking about him, and by the time we hired him he was the hot commodity.  I was always skeptical.

I guess it's easy to be a critic, but I thought both Strong and Herman had underwhelming resumes.

Just now, closetohumping said:

Not disagreeing but he’d have the lsu job if he did t come here

True, but none of that was foreseen. My problem has always been that Herman was The Anointed One ever since he beat the Gooners and the BMDs just shut down all critical thinking after that. There were red flags all over the place the next two years he was at UH but they were all ignored and nobody else was seriously considered as Strong's replacement. 

• Like 3

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Do we really know that, though?  Yes a lot of people were talking about him, and by the time we hired him he was the hot commodity.  I was always skeptical.

I guess it's easy to be a critic, but I thought both Strong and Herman had underwhelming resumes.

He was only a hot commodity because we wanted him, really. That made LSU want him to. His glory days -- beating FSU and the Gooners -- were long past him by that time. 

Anyone who says we didn’t want Herman is retarded. We didn’t want Tim Beck. We didn’t want Casey Horny. 

But after year 1, it was clear there was issues with the offensive playcalling and staff in general. He hired Herb Hand to fix the Oline. But Tim Beck was allowed to stay on. People give him a pass because he can recruit. We pay a guy 800K year to recruit. Sweet. He didn’t even fire the worthless OL coach. He moved him to coach TEs and special teams. Again. No accountability. Warehimes coaching resume is a joke, and it shows on the field. The special teams and TEs are disasters. So we pay him $500K to take his position group to dinners. Now we have the DB coach, who can legit recruit but he couldn’t coach to save his life. The DBs are some of  the worst coached players on the team. We can talk about Mehringer but why, his own players hate him. Another guy pulling in $400K to wear neat Nike gear and hang out with Tom. 

There is no accountability. Everyone overlooked it because of wins, but those went bye bye this year. And here we are

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

True, but none of that was foreseen. My problem has always been that Herman was The Anointed One ever since he beat the Gooners and the BMDs just shut down all critical thinking after that. There were red flags all over the place the next two years he was at UH but they were all ignored and nobody else was seriously considered as Strong's replacement. 

I think we rushed but everyone that hated Charlie was just looking for someone to cling to and he was a hot coach.  Hottest.  former student team looked amazing for awhile down there

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think we rushed but everyone that hated Charlie was just looking for someone to cling to and he was a hot coach.  Hottest.  former student team looked amazing for awhile down there

True.

I get that fanbases get crushes on hot commodities when times are bad, but BMDs and ADs are supposed to be above that. I really don't think anyone else was even considered. It was Herman or bust and that line in the sand was written a year or more before it became reality.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

The point is that Perrin and the other alums/boosters should have been the adults in the room and they made the same choice as internet posters for similar reasons and with similar amounts of analysis.

• Like 1

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

True.

I get that fanbases get crushes on hot commodities when times are bad, but BMDs and ADs are supposed to be above that. I really don't think anyone else was even considered. It was Herman or bust and that line in the sand was written a year or more before it became reality.

I admit I loved the Herman hire.  It I was beat down by Charlie.  Herman was literally the opposite of Charlie in so many ways.  His teams played fast hard etc.  won with lesser athletes etc.   but I guess his crap only works with lowly recruited kids.  The thought of him winning right down the road was tough to handle

hindsight maybe we should’ve let LSU have him.  

Are we gonna regress this year? 3 losses already. LSU and TCU games were within reach. Ehlinger had his worst night tonight. It's impossible to win games when we fall behind because our D can't get any stops. We basically need to score like mofos to win games against shitty teams. Outlook is gloomy for this year. 

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Put it this way...if Alabama or LSU or Auburn or USC or Georgia or Penn St or OU were in our situation today...is there any question that they'd already be working out Urban's contract and would shitcan the current coach the second it was finalized?

Embarrassed to say I'm ... almost ... there.

• Like 1

Eh, often as not, coordinators don't make good head coaches.  OU got lucky with Stoops after a series of bad hires.  Riley was hand-picked, so he doesn't count.

I'd prefer a longer track record of success as a head coach than 2-3 years at a G5.

Like four fucking FCS NCs in five years.  I like that.  But Klieman's predecessor, who had 3 NCs in six years has kind of stunk at Wyoming.  But probably because Wyoming.

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

Yeah because Surly/Shaggy has always just been dead on correct about everything. It's amusing because we panicked thinking LSU would take him. I said back then that we would be wondering what could've been had he gone to LSU and won there. But hey, we'll give him another year and then move onto the next one. Because we're like Michigan. 

Edited by mdmost

By the end of this season, Herman will average 5 losses per year over three years.  Most of you will claim that 15 losses over three years isn’t a big enough test case.  And that’s because you’re fucking stupid.  

how many times we gotta do this; you fucking children ???

2 minutes ago, Tom Chairman said:

Have you peaked at a USNWR over the last decade?

A couple of months ago I tried to find our trends but I couldn't find it. Do you have them? I wonder what the issue is. 

A big as this site is you'd think there'd be an ongoing thread on academic news with our university. 

Edited by Bruh Man

A couple of months ago I tried to find our trends but I couldn't find it. Do you have them? I wonder what the issue is. 
A big as this site is you'd think there'd be an ongoing thread on academic news with our university. 

All's I know is that we were hovering around 40 nationally when I attended and then dipped down to the upper 50s years later.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Bah, in the 80s and early 90s we showed up in droves for shitty football.  And drank a lot.  We didn't wear orange much, but we made a lotta fuckin noise if there was something worthwhile going on.

The 90s was such a great decade to be a UT student. I think everyone, me included, would have a different colored polo, never Orange, with the Longhorn logo on it 

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

We don’t really want to win.  If we did we would mortgage our integrity and tell Urban to say no.

Exactly right. This is what Alabama did in their pursuit of Nick Saban which took months to pull off in getting him to leave the NFL. Partner I worked under at the firm I was at was a Bama alum who had connections with their AD at the time. He would give me progress reports but they basically hounded him to coach. I like Tom and am not ready to jump ship but this is a results oriented business and Urban is the first person I’d call. He is a proven winner everywhere he is been. 

31 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

This is correct. I think a couple of publics passed us or at least Florida did

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

#48,  Florida #34    imo,  Administration's overall goal is for us to emulate Stanford.  

Relax guys,   just need more fairy dust.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/07/urban-meyer-chastises-tom-herman-for-sprinkle-fairy-dust-quote/

Edited by torre

Exactly right. This is what Alabama did in their pursuit of Nick Saban which took months to pull off in getting him to leave the NFL. Partner I worked under at the firm I was at was a Bama alum who had connections with their AD at the time. He would give me progress reports but they basically hounded him to coach. I like Tom and am not ready to jump ship but this is a results oriented business and Urban is the first person I’d call. He is a proven winner everywhere he is been. 

Why? WTF is there to like about him?

2 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Why? WTF is there to like about him?

I think he is very talented and has everything you want your head coach to when it comes to image, recruiting, fan engagement, etc. He is in his early 40s so he is going to get better you have to assume. I didn’t think much of Orgeron but look at what he has done with their offense. He understood that LSU needed a good QB for once and a young OC with a modern college offense. He did that and you see the results this year. Once the season is over, Tom is going to have a similar realization when it comes to the defense and we are going to hopefully get  a boost in 2020.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

yep.  we hired a guy who when asked(if he was asked)said I'm bringing Houston to Texas(except for Major) or I'm not coming and will go to LSU.  Herman had no idea who the best coaches were that he thought he could get, he had to bring sycophants because the guy had never had a real HC gig in a real conf.

we didn't ask the right questions we just panicked thinking we wouldn't have a date to the dance.  We're Texas but don't really act like Texas.  we kowtow to shitty coaches because we don't know how to prepare to do what needs to be done.

this is mackovic all over again, arrogant, offensive coach who doesn't know dick about being a HC at a big time program.  He's done.  the question is if it will go another 2 years like it did with mackovic.

Spot on. This is exactly like Mackovic's era.

Imho the program is at a crossroads. We talk about being blue bloods and a premiere program in college football but it's a constant let down. 3 fucking conference titles in 22 years and getting owned by Oklahoma is a GD abortion. 

This program was once dominant that feared nobody (the pride and winning tradition......) yet now has become a constant excuse of why they couldn't win this because of x,y,z, etc... 

It's time to make a fucking decision. Is this a fucking blue blood program that competes for national titles annually and fears nobody or does the University of Texas care too much about trying to be Notre Dame and Stanford's peer to turn shit on and dominate?

Edited by RoyalBevo21

13 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Imho the program is at a crossroads. We talk about being blue bloods and a premiere program in college football but it's a constant let down. 3 fucking conference titles in 22 years and getting owned by Oklahoma is a GD abortion. 

This program was once dominant that feared nobody (the pride and winning tradition......) yet now has become a constant excuse of why they couldn't win this because of x,y,z, etc... 

It's time to make a fucking decision. Is this a fucking blue blood program that competes for national titles annually and fears nobody or does the University of Texas care too much about trying to be Notre Dame and Stanford's peer to turn shit on and dominate?

Akers had a decent run for about 7 years

Royal hired Brown basically

if we cared about football we would not hire a coach who had one 7 win year at Tech,  one who was a failed HC at Illinois, and 2 G5 coaches that want to bring along all their flunky friends.

maybe CDC will show us something but my guess is he'll ride the herm train until the wheels fall completely off in 2 years....cause We're Texas

Akers had a decent run for about 7 years
Royal hired Brown basically
if we cared about football we would not hire a coach who had one 7 win year at Tech,  one who was a failed HC at Illinois, and 2 G5 coaches that want to bring along all their flunky friends.
maybe CDC will show us something but my guess is he'll ride the herm train until the wheels fall completely off in 2 years....cause We're Texas

I assume many will lose interest if this shit show lasts two years. When you spend a ton for travel, hotel, home/visitor tickets, why throw good money at bad? Nope. Not doing it.