TCU post game presser

Disco Missile

You could read some of his answers as understanding the basic problem with the defense.  He mentioned "guys flying around," "kids understanding," "not having the right kids on the field," "playing fundamental football." and a number of things like that.

Not saying he does, but if we're gonna parse coachspeak, let's parse that shit.

3 hours ago, tjhooker said:

He started off with winning is hard. muthafucka. 

But this time he said winning on the road is hard. I wish somebody had said, “but you’re paid $5 mil a year to figure out how to do that.”

herman is really a pusillanimous little man. 

4 hours ago, tjhooker said:

He started off with winning is hard. muthafucka. 

he aint lying, it's hard as shit for a shitty coaching staff even with a roster full of 4 and 5 star players. on the other hand matt rhule doesn't find it too hard to win with 2 star players, go figure

I wonder if Herman tries to get feedback from players on their views for why they are so badly underperforming?

My approach with my employees is 1) to let them know that I make mistakes constantly and that they will too, but that the key is having the humility to take an honest look at the situation and understand how we can do better the next time and 2) when we put together a plan and it doesn’t succeed, get feedback from my employees on why they think it failed and what they think we can do to improve moving forward.

I find those sessions to be really enlightening and appreciate getting honest feedback that informs our decisions/process moving forward.

Herman seems like he positions himself as a boss that knows everything and wouldn’t be able to have productive feedback loops with his team because a) there wouldn’t be enough trust for the players to feel like they could speak honestly and b) Herman would be dismissive (at best) and react negatively to any feedback he did get that he perceived as an attack on his genius.

i guess what I’m saying is I think @closetojumping was probably spot on in terms of the leadership pitfalls of Herman’s personality.

14 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I wonder if Herman tries to get feedback from players on their views for why they are so badly underperforming?

My approach with my employees is 1) to let them know that I make mistakes constantly and that they will too, but that the key is having the humility to take an honest look at the situation and understand how we can do better the next time and 2) when we put together a plan and it doesn’t succeed, get feedback from my employees on why they think it failed and what they think we can do to improve moving forward.

I find those sessions to be really enlightening and appreciate getting honest feedback that informs our decisions/process moving forward.

Herman seems like he positions himself as a boss that knows everything and wouldn’t be able to have productive feedback loops with his team because a) there wouldn’t be enough trust for the players to feel like they could speak honestly and b) Herman would be dismissive (at best) and react negatively to any feedback he did get that he perceived as an attack on his genius.

i guess what I’m saying is I think @closetojumping was probably spot on in terms of the leadership pitfalls of Herman’s personality.

Tom: "Tell me why you think we failed up in Fort Worth yesterday, help me understand what we can do better?"

Defensive Player: "Well it's hard for me to get home on a blitz that starts in Weatherford"

Tom: "Well you see blitzes are really hard, sometimes they get picked up so we like to make it to where they never see them coming.  I mean if you blitz and never actually get close to the QB, then he never saw it coming.  Right?  And that's what we want.  You're sneaky and that's what we LOVE about you...let me give you a kiss."

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Tom: "Tell me why you think we failed up in Fort Worth yesterday, help me understand what we can do better?"

Defensive Player: "Well it's hard to get home on a blitz that starts in Weatherford"

Tom: "Well you see blitzes are really hard, sometimes they get picked up so we like to make it to where they never see them coming.  I mean if the blitz never actually gets close to the QB, then he never saw it coming?  Right?  And that's what we want."

rep for weatherford reference