Shut down all athletics at the University

Girdwood

9 minutes ago, BradWilcox said:

OP does have a point other than the one atop his head. Seems like something just ain't right on the 40. Been this way for a long time. Not breaking through to the other side. Another year passes and still looking in from the outside.

Really, with a longer view, things are just right on the 40.  We are a football power because we've been doing it longer than most and mostly at an above-.500 clip.  Our periods of greatness are short and widely spaced.

36 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Maybe we could drop to D2, join the Lone Star Conference and establish a rivalry with UT-Permian Basin?

well, now, we could probably win the lone star conference.  that’d be pretty nice, a conference championship.  and D2 has a legitimate playoff as well, which would be fun.  I’m on board. 

Actually I’m at the point where I agree with this, even after sobering up. Go the Ivy route with athletics with no scholarships and true student athletes. It would certainly get rid of the hundreds of people who do nothing but make a nice living leeching off of our misery. I just made a donation to the Texas Hockey team. Teams like this are the future of UT athletics.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 9:07 PM, Girdwood said:

It’s clear we have no interest in winning championships. Focus on academics and quit giving any fucks about athletics in any capacity.

I mean if what you are saying is true and we have no interest in winning championships than it seems the second sentence is already taking place. Besides it is not like just shutting down athletics is going to help or harm or influence academics in anyway, so let's just keep our mediocre sports engine rolling along.

Edited by Valmy77

Actually I’m at the point where I agree with this, even after sobering up. Go the Ivy route with athletics with no scholarships and true student athletes. It would certainly get rid of the hundreds of people who do nothing but make a nice living leeching off of our misery. I just made a donation to the Texas Hockey team. Teams like this are the future of UT athletics.

Don’t forget about Quiddich.

On 10/26/2019 at 10:21 PM, futureman said:

well, now, we could probably win the lone star conference.  that’d be pretty nice, a conference championship.  and D2 has a legitimate playoff as well, which would be fun.  I’m on board. 

This place would still lose its shit when Colorado School of Mines hung 50+ on us in the playoffs.