Jake Smith

FriendofaFriend

well my thinking is that we have people with inside knowledge. none of the have spoken up on this so i would assume that it's not good news. but i would think that if you have a good player who is disgruntled about playing time, or pass attempts, and you want to keep him, then not playing him would probably reinforce his gripe about playing time and add to his desire to leave. but i'm not herman or mensa, what the fuck do i know?

Edited by crash_davis

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe he should catch better. Maybe not fumble punts. Maybe run a route that isn’t fucking embarrassing on film. Then maybe he’d have a legitimate whine and he’d see a lot more field. 

I’m as anti-Herman as anyone on this board, but the entitlement of some of these pussies is pushing the limits. My view is that Smith would be an idiot to leave, but fuck off if he does. 

as a freshman, he was top 3 or 4 for in catches for most of the games where he played. he didn't register a catch against ou. he and duv lead the team in catches against rice, and he had the most receiving yards in that game. i haven't watched him all year to critique his route running but from his stats as a freshman, i'd say he's been pretty damn productive up until the last two games when something apparently went south. 

he's a true freshman who is 4th on the team in receiving. remove duv and collins, and he and eagles are all we have next year. i don't get the hate for this kid.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

as a freshman, he was top 3 or 4 for in catches for most of the games where he played. he didn't register a catch against ou. he and duv lead the team in catches against rice, and he had the most receiving yards in that game. i haven't watched him all year to critique his route running but from his stats as a freshman, i'd say he's been pretty damn productive up until the last two games when something apparently went south. 

he's a true freshman who is 4th on the team in receiving. remove duv and collins, and he and eagles are all we have next year. i don't get the hate for this kid.

He’s a guy playing regularly and, irrespective of stats, not well, and then threatening to leave on multiple occasions. 

I don’t dislike the player and I haven’t read the thread. Facts are, he’s about to be handed a starting job, the guy in front of him is a border line all-american, and Smith has a shit ton of work to do. So he needs to shut the fuck up, and learn something. 

He runs shit routes. He’s dropped multiple critical passes, including at least one in the OU game. He muffed a critical punt. He’s fine as a freshman that could turn into a star.  But he’s not a star now. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FriendofaFriend said:

I'm getting negged today? After multiple outings of either being a liability or not doing shit? I may have been drunk when I started this thread but the people that think he deserves the attention he got in the first half of the season are mentally incompetent. Look, I'm not saying he will suck forever... I actually think he will develop into a badass... but for now, he doesn't deserve the attention he had been given up to this game. This game is what he deserves... get him out there but don't give him a large part of the target share. Let him develop.

Because he’s fucking 18 years old. I’m gonna give him the benefit of the doubt considering he was one of our highest recruits, and, you know, he’s 18 years old

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

57 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

We have so many pre-madonnas on this team. It’s amazing. 

I’m not sure if I’ve missed something, but has there ever been any sort of reporting that Smith has actually been complaining about playing time? I thought the whole rumor started from an IT game thread where people misinterpreted something Nahlin posted. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not sure if I’ve missed something, but has there ever been any sort of reporting that Smith has actually been complaining about playing time? I thought the whole rumor started from an IT game thread where people misinterpreted something Nahlin posted. 

I’ve seen it reported and discussed here multiple times.  it’s definitely happened. 

• Like 1

TH talked about 5th hand information in the PC last night, and maybe Jake rumors were one of the things he was referring too. It would be absolutely stupid for him to leave. The slot position next year is basically his, and he would transfer somewhere else to try to earn it all over again? There's no logic in that at all. And if he keeps fumbling, dropping passes and punts how's he supposed to earn a position elsewhere?

It's amazing these 5 star athletes think a position should just be given to them. If you want it earn it, and don't exhibit the crappy play CTJ wrote about above. Well, maybe some schools do guarantee you playing time, but I bet those schools don't have a winning record.

I think a lot of people are missing something important when they talk about the entitled pussies and pre madonnas on the team. Herman has bragged openly about recruiting “our type of guys” over and over again, fitting a certain mental profile, Texas not being for everyone, etc. Despite that, here we are with a team full of entitled pussies and malcontents. So is herman and company completely full of shit? Or can they absolutely not identify a player who is a pre madonna they way they think they can? Or are they so shitty they turn decent kids bad? I assume the answer is Yes. 

Because, for example, all we heard about Bryon Vaughns is how he was a great kid, great attitude, hard worker, learning the position. Even his mom jumped feet first into the program. And now we hear rumors of him being unhappy and considering a transfer. So much for recruiting the mental profile of a kid as much as the physical, Tom. 

32 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

TH talked about 5th hand information in the PC last night, and maybe Jake rumors were one of the things he was referring too. It would be absolutely stupid for him to leave. The slot position next year is basically his, and he would transfer somewhere else to try to earn it all over again? There's no logic in that at all. And if he keeps fumbling, dropping passes and punts how's he supposed to earn a position elsewhere?

It's amazing these 5 star athletes think a position should just be given to them. If you want it earn it, and don't exhibit the crappy play CTJ wrote about above. Well, maybe some schools do guarantee you playing time, but I bet those schools don't have a winning record.

So, now we know he expects a position should be handed to him?  Based on what?

10 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

We have so many pre-madonnas on this team. It’s amazing. 

9 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

a lot of post-madonnas as well.

9 hours ago, futureman said:

like a bunch of virgins

9 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Touched for the very first time.

...and on their periods.

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe he should catch better. Maybe not fumble punts. Maybe run a route that isn’t fucking embarrassing on film. Then maybe he’d have a legitimate whine and he’d see a lot more field. 

I’m as anti-Herman as anyone on this board, but the entitlement of some of these pussies is pushing the limits. My view is that Smith would be an idiot to leave, but fuck off if he does. 

This is why I made this thread. The kid was not playing well and, up until this post, it seemed like I was the only one seeing it. Apparently people agree, just not with me. 

2 hours ago, HuntinHorn said:

He’s fumbled a couple of times. Tom always reduces the playing time of fumblers until he trusts them again. Nothing to see here.

Spot on. Until I see more legit sources I'm not worried about Smith. And he's still got a very bright future - just needs to clean up the ball security/drops.

It's similar to Eagles - he missed practice on his birthday (he's a college kid) so he got benched for a game. He was back to his usual role vs. KSU.

On 11/10/2019 at 5:38 AM, Tex Pete said:

Some of you root for things like Jake Smith transferring just so you can bitch about Herman. It’s pathetic.

There’s nothing substantive on this thread, and I’m not sure there’s ever been any legitimacy to the rumor. It’s like you’re begging for it to happen. You’re shitty fans. 

Truth 

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 9:42 PM, closetojumping said:

He’s a guy playing regularly and, irrespective of stats, not well, and then threatening to leave on multiple occasions. 

I don’t dislike the player and I haven’t read the thread. Facts are, he’s about to be handed a starting job, the guy in front of him is a border line all-american, and Smith has a shit ton of work to do. So he needs to shut the fuck up, and learn something. 

He runs shit routes. He’s dropped multiple critical passes, including at least one in the OU game. He muffed a critical punt. He’s fine as a freshman that could turn into a star.  But he’s not a star now. 

The problem I see for him, he needs a lot of work to become a great WR, but the coaching at his position is bottom of the barrel. Chances are he's not going to get the technique coaching he needs to become elite at Texas currently. Yes, he has also dropped 2-3 60+ yard TDs with his stone hands.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Not a fan of The Donnas, huh? I'm gonna guess Courtney Love ain't your bag of tea, either. Though even clean and sober, the Donnas still wouldn't be worth looking at.

I know if I sobered up long enough to realize I was married to her I'd kill myself too.