Jake Smith

FriendofaFriend

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Wtf, didn't even give himself a chance to get healthy and earn a spot in Sark's offense

5 minutes ago, sidis said:

i really don't understand that.  must not be jiving with the new staff.  it isn't like the wrs impressed in the spring and he's lost his job.  along with whittington and bijan, jake was someone I was looking forward to seeing what Sark would do.

Limited upside guy IMO. likely would not have seen the field much with Omeire, Moore, Whittington, Worthy, Washington, and Dixon.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Limited upside guy IMO. likely would not have seen the field much with Omeire, Moore, Whittington, Worthy, Washington, and Dixon.

yeah as soon as I saw this bumped, I knew what the news was

wasn't everyone else expecting him to transfer? because from the start he seemed like a contributor level player at best and there was a disconnect between attitude and aptitude 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

wasn't everyone else expecting him to transfer? because from the start he seemed like a contributor level player at best and there was a disconnect between attitude and aptitude 

Yeah feels like he's been unhappy since day 1.

• Like 1

XAkjviN.gif.ca4ad928483fe7fe5d871e9963424862.gif

My guess is that we are going to run out O, Whittingon, and Moore on 3 WR sets and Worthy had begun to creep up on him in the rotation since he did not practice this summer due to his injury and so they both are on equal footing in the coaches eyes..

I guess he realized that Big O and Whittington are for sure and with Sark passing to the RBs, tending to have 2 TEs more frequently and so his limited targets were going to require him to do some work, and so its time to go out west...

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Laxtonto said:

XAkjviN.gif.ca4ad928483fe7fe5d871e9963424862.gif

My guess is that we are going to run out O, Whittingon, and Moore on 3 WR sets and Worthy had begun to creep up on him in the rotation since he did not practice this summer due to his injury and so they both are on equal footing in the coaches eyes..

I guess he realized that Big O and Whittington are for sure and with Sark passing to the RBs, tending to have 2 TEs more frequently and so his limited targets were going to require him to do some work, and so its time to go out west...

Kelvontay Dixon is competition for him as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Kelvontay Dixon is competition for him as well.

Totally forgot about him..

And technically Dixon had the summer in Sarks system so he might be ahead of him on the depth chart already. Sark did say that they were going to evaluate everyone on their merits and let the best play... I guess he saw the writing on the wall and finally pulled the trigger. I am more curious how many times he got talked out of it before hand by the previous staff and is this Sark just calling his bluff so to speak...

35 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Meh. That’s a bunch of guys who have yet to play much or any and/or who have been chronically injured. And Moore, who is...fine.

Im not saying you’re necessarily wrong, just that there’s a lot of wishful thinking there, and I like Smith as much as any of those guys.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

when you get a white boy that is damned fast, it turns heads. When you get a white boy that is damned fast with average at best hands and no great skill or aptitude as a route runner, you turn to the next guy that might actually help the team. Good luck to Jake, but he has quit about three times already.....let him go....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

He’s not going anywhere. Herman recruits have shown a habitat of quitting on the team and coming back like nothing.

5 hours ago, tokamak said:

Yeah feels like he's been unhappy since day 1.

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

So he's going to Tennessee?

5 hours ago, 6th Street said:

What an idiot - did he not see Devante Smith last year?

Fuck the little diva bitch.  He's played this card before. Fine, let him hit the portal and slam the door behind him.

Man, I had hopes that he’d put it together.  I agree with the need to thin the WR room a bit but I’d rather thin it from the bottom of the talent/experience pool rather than from the meaty part of the group. He was definitely going to play and likely a lot as long as he remained productive. Let’s be real, our WR room is not murderer’s row. If he doesn’t want to be here because he’s unhappy, can’t fix that. If he doesn’t want to be here because he’s afraid he can’t get on the field because we’re too deep, then he’s not very confident or not very smart. 

I'm usually more pessimistic than optimistic, but I really thought Jake would click in this offense. I thought this was his year. 

What offense? Tom Herman’s? Sarks? Because sark is different than Tom and sark also had probably 7 of 9 5 stars playing for him last year.

Point is we all don’t know what his offense will look like. But apparently Jake wasn’t going to be a part of it.

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

What offense? Tom Herman’s?

Yes, I thought Sark would run Tom's offense.

Because sark is different than Tom

Did you figure that out all by yourself? Do you have a team of monkeys working around the clock on this?

sark also had probably 7 of 9 5 stars playing for him last year.

Jake was a borderline 5 star and a top ten WR in his recruiting class. 

Point is we all don’t know what his offense will look like

You are right. He could run the wishbone. He could line up in a power I every play. Why would Sark have any interest in running something similar to the highly successful offense with which he just won the national title?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Yes, I thought Sark would run Tom's offense.

Did you figure that out all by yourself? Do you have a team of monkeys working around the clock on this?

Jake was a borderline 5 star and a top ten WR in his recruiting class. 

You are right. He could run the wishbone. He could line up in a power I every play. Why would Sark have any interest in running something similar to the highly successful offense with which he just won the national title?

I think that this is markstanco’s first coaching change. There’s no need to respond to his posts. Everyone was new once. 🤷‍♂️

I don't understand this shit. He's not going to the NFL, get a degree and enjoy the experience. Someone has got to reality check some of these guys - there isn't a spot in the draft for everyone that plays D1 ball and there's even fewer for guys that play less than half the games because they are hurt all the time. 

Good luck to him, but I hope he knows his best shot at virtually everything is at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't understand this shit. He's not going to the NFL, get a degree and enjoy the experience. Someone has got to reality check some of these guys - there isn't a spot in the draft for everyone that plays D1 ball and there's even fewer for guys that play less than half the games because they are hurt all the time. 

Good luck to him, but I hope he knows his best shot at virtually everything is at Texas. 

I'm sure he has the Edelman/Amendola/Welker/Beasley fantasy.  It's even possible that it happens.  Unlikely at this point, but possible.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

No it's not. Did you watch those guys in college? 

I said unlikely. He's got what two years eligibility?  He played sparingly in a fucked up offense.  Get him in one that's a better fit and he might be able to turn it on.

And I don't think anyone watched Edelman in college except Kent St. fans and their opponents.

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I said unlikely. He's got what two years eligibility?  He played sparingly in a fucked up offense.  Get him in one that's a better fit and he might be able to turn it on.

And I don't think anyone watched Edelman in college except Kent St. fans and their opponents.

They sure as fuck didn't watch him play WR at Kent St.

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, immamac said:

It’s his life. Don’t you forget it.

1 hour ago, immamac said:

No it's not. Did you watch those guys in college? 

I was thinking that, if Jake had an opportunity in an offense that didn't constantly and immediately shift away from what worked, that he had a chance to be one of those guys. Is it a certainty he would be one of those guys? Of course not....not even close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Since 2020 doesn’t count, he could actually play 3 more years. Plenty of time to make that happen somewhere else (theoretically).