Criminalizing free speech: MA prosecutes another woman for encouraging boyfriend's suicide

clapclapclap

Case probably hinges on the admissibility of his final text: "It's not You, it's me."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7622273/Former-Boston-College-student-charged-involuntary-manslaughter-boyfriend-suicide.html

Former Boston College student, 21, is charged with involuntary manslaughter for 'sending her boyfriend, 22, hundreds of texts urging him to commit suicide' before he jumped to his death from parking garage on graduation day

Inyoung You, 21, indicted for May 20 death of Alexander Urtula, 22

You is currently in South Korea and could face extradition if she refuses to return to Massachusetts voluntarily 

Urtula, Boston College senior, was 90 minutes from walking in commencement ceremony when he jumped to his death from a parking garage 

Suffolk District Attorney Rachael Rollins said You was present in the garage at the time of Urtula's death  

You was described as physically, verbally and psychologically abusive during their 18-month relationship 

Investigators found 75,000 text messages exchanged between the pair; in many missives, You allegedly made demands and threatened self-harm

Rollins said You urged Urtula to take his own life in hundreds of texts 

snip

20288744-7622273-image-m-63_157228240823

Same same, but different from Michelle Carter's case.

20287708-7622273-image-m-58_157228068472

Edited by clapclapclap

I don't think this is a case of criminalizing free speech, this is a case of accountability for the actions that led a mentally ill person to kill themself. Especially if she was there in the parking garage (presumably, with him?) When he jumped. 

If her prosecution is one against free speech, then every prosecution of criminal accomplices to a violent act in which personally they didn't do anything but use words is also a prosecution against free speech. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I don't think this is a case of criminalizing free speech, this is a case of accountability for the actions that led a mentally ill person to kill themself. Especially if she was there in the parking garage (presumably, with him?) When he jumped. 

If her prosecution is one against free speech, then every prosecution of criminal accomplices to a violent act in which personally they didn't do anything but use words is also a prosecution against free speech. 

That’s ridiculous. If you think anyone should ever face any sort of negative consequence for anything they say, you’re a commie libtard & you hate free speech.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Ummm right.  Private action versus state action.

can you elaborate? i can't tell if you are actually agreeing with me or not.

i will also elaborate, but i'm not a lawyer, so i'll probably screw something up.

but, i view this as no different than solicitation for murder. she is just trying to solicit him to murder himself.

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

can you elaborate? i can't tell if you are actually agreeing with me or not.

i will also elaborate, but i'm not a lawyer, so i'll probably screw something up.

but, i view this as no different than solicitation for murder. she is just trying to solicit him to murder himself.

The Second First Amendment doesn't apply to actions by private citizens or organizations that curtail free speech.  The content or context is irrelevant. Tl:dr Surly can do whatever the fuck it wants.  You knew this at some level, I'm sure.

This prosecution, however, is state action, where the Second First Amendment applies with full force.  The content and context is very important.

I'm not saying the prosecution is clearly in violation of the Second First Amendment.  It does provoke some interesting questions, though.

Edited by TwiceHorn
Dumbass

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Second Amendment doesn't apply to actions by private citizens or organizations that curtail free speech.  The content or context is irrelevant. Tl:dr Surly can do whatever the fuck it wants.  You knew this at some level, I'm sure.

This prosecution, however, is state action, where the Second Amendment applies with full force.  The content and context is very important.

I'm not saying the prosecution is clearly in violation of the Second Amendment.  It does provoke some interesting questions, though.

*First Amendment

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Second Amendment doesn't apply to actions by private citizens or organizations that curtail free speech.  The content or context is irrelevant. Tl:dr Surly can do whatever the fuck it wants.  You knew this at some level, I'm sure.

This prosecution, however, is state action, where the Second Amendment applies with full force.  The content and context is very important.

I'm not saying the prosecution is clearly in violation of the Second Amendment.  It does provoke some interesting questions, though.

i assume you mean first amendment.

i can't tell person x to go kill person y with a serious motivation - that's a crime. how is this different?

i can't tell person x to go kill person y with a serious motivation - that's a crime. how is this different?
This may not be much different. Your first post in this thread was way out in left field about what surly does with posters telling other posters to kill themselves. That's not a 1st amendment issue because the 1st amendment doesn't apply to surly.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Serious motivation is one aspect of it.  How serious?  How can you tell?

But Surly's banning actions may be based on free speech principles, but the First Amendment doesn't apply to Surly.  Or any other private citizen.

When the government takes action against a citizen based on speech, the First Amendment does apply.

Just now, elfenix said:
5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

This may not be much different. Your first post in this thread was way out in left field about what surly does with posters telling other posters to kill themselves. That's not a 1st amendment issue because the 1st amendment doesn't apply to surly.

ah, yes, of course, but my purpose was that we as a society, even here, view that as pretty much offside. 

you are right, it was not a complete thought.