What did my dog drag up?

z-PMMo-Fz-JNu-GRBBtr-RWbo-JWWCs-QMDNEOZd

e-Bhxeg-Ms-Pf-Rs-I8-Mb9pqdww-Xj-Ho-GO6-G

Found this on my covered deck this morning. It's nonmagnetic and spherical. Looks like it has about a .06 thick crust that appears crystalline. Reddish color makes me think iron oxide but,again, it is not magnetic. It would be valuable if it is a meteorite so we can rule that out. My luck doesn't run that way. We have lots of geodes in the area but most that I have seen are hollow and much rougher texture on the outside. My house backs up to an abandoned limestone quarry.

There isn't a hole in the deck roof so it must have been dropped there by a critter? I haven't mowed in a couple weeks so I don't think it was tossed by the mower. I go out that door often, I doubt it has been laying there long. Any of you geology types know what I have?

39 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

You found a rock in your backyard that you didn't know what it was, so you hopped down to the local college, grabbed a professor and had him take a looksie? 

He's an old man with time on his hands.  And things need knowin'!

Ask your team how hematite pisoliths are formed and if the  crystalline stuff is calcium carbonate. Then ask why there is so much of the stuff on Mars. JK, don't get your hopes up as the ones found by the rover appear to be smaller than half an inch. Maybe yours was formed by an undersea volcano as I can't figure out how the concentric banding would be formed if it came from a larger concretion that was rounded by weathering (like river rock). And no I'm not a geologist.

Edited by Bevo

41 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I for one think it is pretty cool that you have a team of professors to consult but you felt it important to ask the Surly group first. Smart.

FIFY.

small school.

Small? That sounds like home schooling.

Close. Maybe 500 students. With the religious leanings of the school, I was surprised that I wasn't told the rock was less than 4000 years old. The professor wasn't a geology prof. Chemistry with a geology background. I don't think they like to discuss with their students how rocks were most likely formed.

• Like 1

Hematite helps to absorb negative energy and calms in times of stress or worry. Hematite is a very protective stone and is great to carry to help you stay grounded in many situations. Hematite is also good for working with the Root Chakra, helping to transform negative energies into a more positive vibration.

Gradulations!