Traces of Texas' new Collaboration with Texas Highways Magazine

Hornius Emeritus

40 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Nice job.  I would have spent another couple hours looking at those photos and reading the captions.

Thanks for the kindly comments.  Next month I'm doing cowboys (the old west variety, not the Dallas kind) and I've got a SLEW of great photos and wonderful quotes.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Thanks for the kindly comments.  Next month I'm doing cowboys (the old west variety, not the Dallas kind) and I've got a SLEW of great photos and wonderful quotes.

Wonderful stuff, man. The Van Horn photo cracked me up. They obviously staged it and almost seemed to want to tell a story about the town. Did you notice the two ladies in full dress holding tennis rackets? I mean, it's possible Van Horn had a tennis court back in the early 1880s, but the fact they felt compelled to bring 'em to the big photo shoot leaves me wondering exactly what they were trying to communicate. I'm intrigued.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Oh, yeah. I've been cleaning up his photos all day long. He was amazing.

I don’t know what version of photoshop he used, but the clarity and lack of defects in the photos I’ve seen were absolutely amazing, given the subject matter.  Thanks again for what you do, many more people appreciate the history  you’ve opened up than you’ll ever know.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I don’t know what version of photoshop he used, but the clarity and lack of defects in the photos I’ve seen were absolutely amazing, given the subject matter.  

He knew how to use lighting, and was patient both in taking and developing the photos.

I have a batch of family photos from the 1860s and 1870s I'll be scanning/photographing soon and restoring and making prints, and it was clear which photographers/studios knew (and cared about) what they were doing, and which were out to make a quick buck.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/1/2019 at 5:06 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Thanks, Rat.  The current issue has an OUTSTANDING article about Caddo Lake  by S.C. Gwynne, who wrote "Empire of the Summer Moon"  about Comanche chief Quanah Parker. . The photos are haunting, too:

https://texashighways.com/things-to-do/on-the-water/lakes/against-all-odds-caddo-lake-prevails/

As I say, I'm pretty proud of what the magazine has become. It's way better than it was 10-15 years ago.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Ha ha. I was amazed. I got a screenshot of it but I wonder if any of y'all saved the game on your DVRs and could send me a video? Here's what the screenshot looks like.

Flip Lehman's photo of Chas McCormick on the World Series broadcast.jpg

We all saw it at Lavaca St and were like HOLY SHIT THATS OUR GUY!

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Thank you.  I have received two DMs from folks concerned about the fact that I referred to Mick Jagger as a British tourist. One said "I don't want to embarrass you publicly, but that is Mick Jaggar, the lead singer of the Rolling Stones, with Stevie Ray Vaughan." 

My sense of humor apparently doesn't translate as well to the interwebs as I would like it to.

Did you ask this person what year he/she graduated from A&M?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Thank you.  I have received two DMs from folks concerned about the fact that I referred to Mick Jagger as a British tourist. One said "I don't want to embarrass you publicly, but that is Mick Jaggar, the lead singer of the Rolling Stones, with Stevie Ray Vaughan." 

My sense of humor apparently doesn't translate as well to the interwebs as I would like it to.

You be you. Great work and much appreciated. 

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It wasn't readily apparent to me that that was Mick. 

However, was it, I would have understood the joke. 

Love that SRV quote. He left out the part about then playing like SRV, which is somewhat important.