Bored at work? How about a live brain surgery?

chesthair

When I was a kid my father had tons of medical books in the house. He was a physician, not a serial killer, and many had pictures of surgeries. They were fascinating to Young Me. I have seen some videos of surgeries and even though I never had the aptitude for that sort of thing it is amazing what they can do.

When I was a little boy I was in a wreck, my brother was driving, and I had my forehead grabbed & sliced off by the windshield. I needed numerous surgeries to cut out the scar and to make my forehead look less like a pizza.  I had an aversion to being put to sleep so they did it with a local and I had one of the nurses hold a mirror so I could watch a bit of what the doctor was doing. 

It was grisly as hell as I think about it now. But again, to Young Me, it was cool as shit to watch.

I might have to take a look at this. Hopefully it is not like that monkey brains scene in the Indiana Jones movie.

Surprised this topic made it here.  Glad to see my profession got a little bit of love (guy showing the words to the patient), even if it is a shitty competitor.  I trained with Dr. Patel many years ago, great surgeon.  I'm not too familiar with his colleagues performing the procedure but it appears they did a good job.  I was surprised they actually broadcast the procedure until I saw that it was a venous malformation that appeared to be somewhat superficial.  Overall, a pretty "low risk" brain surgery

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

When I was a kid my father had tons of medical books in the house. He was a physician, not a serial killer, and many had pictures of surgeries. They were fascinating to Young Me. I have seen some videos of surgeries and even though I never had the aptitude for that sort of thing it is amazing what they can do.

When I was a little boy I was in a wreck, my brother was driving, and I had my forehead grabbed & sliced off by the windshield. I needed numerous surgeries to cut out the scar and to make my forehead look less like a pizza.  I had an aversion to being put to sleep so they did it with a local and I had one of the nurses hold a mirror so I could watch a bit of what the doctor was doing. 

It was grisly as hell as I think about it now. But again, to Young Me, it was cool as shit to watch.

I might have to take a look at this. Hopefully it is not like that monkey brains scene in the Indiana Jones movie.

Holy fuckballs man.

Like part of your brain on the front end or did it just get your skull?

Also....pics or gtfo.

21 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Holy fuckballs man.

Like part of your brain on the front end or did it just get your skull?

Also....pics or gtfo.

It wasn’t THAT dramatic. I mentioned it in another thread although I forget which one. I hit the windshield, made an indent with my forehead and as my head was pulling away the windshield grabbed my forehead and sliced off a lot of it. It took a bit off my nose too.

My brother picked up my forehead and brought it to the hospital and they cleaned it up and sewed it back on. The chunk off my nose got a graft off my thigh. It’s kind of funny because I have a square on my nose that tans differently and once a month I have to shave the one hair that grows.

i did almost lose my eyes, or at the very least come close to having them damaged. That was the most dramatic aspect I guess, other than me covered in blood walking the 300 yards back home while resembling the prom scene in the movie Carrie.

Coolest thing for 12-year old me was I touched my skull when feeling my forehead, minus the skin of course.

Everything I said really happened.

CSB.  About 20 years ago, my older brother was in a terrible car accident and sustained several injuries, including his heart stopping a couple of times on Life Flight.  About 6 months afterwards he was suffering from a lot of headaches and dizziness and confusion and eventually they diagnosed that he had a subdural hematoma from the wreck and needed surgery to relieve the pressure on the brain.  They told us that putting him under was an option, but they preferred to have him awake because the anesthesia could cause some more swelling.  So he was wide awake while they drilled a hole in his head and poked around on his brain.  He said he was chatting and joking with the surgeon and crew the whole time.  Crazy.

• Like 1