NCAA to Allow Players to be Compensated for their Names, Likenesses, and Images

Seasick Sailor

14 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I can’t wait to see all the female athletes bitching that they don’t get paid as much as their male college counterparts.  Twitters will be lit 

this will be the fun part.  farrah fawcett posters for the vball team might be moneymakers though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You misinterpreted the word "now" in my post. I'm not saying you've said the things in the first paragraph in the past, just that others have frequently said them. 

So are you in fact saying what you implied? That the athletes are the ones who create value for their athletic programs? 

Definitely no about a yes, certainly a maybe regarding no, i think. 

@Huckleberry

You are still clinging to this commercial value idea - which really I have no problem with college players and legitimate commercial dealings.  Let Sam do a Boot City commercial, and I have no problem whatsoever.  I don't care if it nets some players millions and others get shit.  In a perfect world, this is a very good move.

But you choose to ignore that the value corrupt actors would place on these athletes outweighs their actual commercial value, especially in football.  It's the reason these rules are overly restrictive to begin with.  And that's ingrained in the history of college football - not a theory about what might happen in the future.

In the real world, this can be a good move with the right restrictions in place to prevent tampering/corruption, but I'm far more skeptical about overshooting the correct balance than undershooting it.

Edited by JBJ

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

@Huckleberry

You are still clinging to this commercial value idea - which really I have no problem with college players and legitimate commercial dealings.  Let Sam do a Boot City commercial, and I have no problem whatsoever.  I don't care if it nets some players millions and others get shit.  In a perfect world, this is a very good move.

But you choose to ignore that the value corrupt actors would place on these athletes outweighs their actual commercial value, especially in football.  It's the reason these rules are overly restrictive to begin with.  And that's ingrained in the history of college football - not a theory about what might happen in the future.

In the real world, this can be a good move with the right restrictions in place to prevent tampering/corruption, but I'm far more skeptical about overshooting the correct balance than undershooting it.

Moving the payments above the table means they're not corrupt actors anymore. And if a dumbass wants to pay a 5-star recruit $5M to star in a commercial then who gives a shit? That will happen exactly as many times as it takes for the 5-star recruit to be someone like Speedy Noil. And if people want to keep blowing their money on player commercials then whatever, it's really not that big of a deal. For fuck's sake we paid Charlie Strong something like $30M or whatever to coach our football team. Then we paid him some of that to coach someone else's football team (a far wiser investment). Sometimes the overpayments to a 5-star recruit will get Vince Young to a program. And sometimes they'll get Max Browne.

Not that the NCAA rules are necessarily, or even likely, going to allow that kind of payment. We're all arguing about this before the rules have even been discussed.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Nothing is keeping college players from getting a job at pizza hut or an unpaid internship at Dell. You want to argue that a player should be able to play in the NFL and college at the same time go right ahead.

I am talking about getting jobs specifically because of what you're doing at the University of Texas. I received academic scholarships that covered tuition, fees, and books at UT. I got a good paying summer internship because I was a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Texas with a good GPA. Why shouldn't athletes be able to get good paying jobs (better than the average college student job) because they're athletes at the University of Texas with good stats?

27 minutes ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Obviously, the devil will be in the details. I don't think the NCAA is backing "open the checkbooks and recruit to the highest bidder."

In case you're wondering, Texas will always be the highest bidder. We have more cash, more potential to earn and generate cash, and more deep pocketed donors ready to fund anything than any other team out there. We've bemoaned the SECSECSEC bagmen because we didn't want to play the "against the NCAA rules" game (at least publicly, to that degree - my naiivete has its limits). If there are no restrictions, we won't lose on money, ever.

If the limits are set high, it will cause the cannibalization of other sports at lesser funded (that is, all the rest of them) schools. I'm not certain how many schools in the Big 12 could support that kind of financial crush before abandoning the concept.

we have never and will never set the market value. Texas is good at making money and making money means never being the highest bidder.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Didn't Dabo say he would quit coaching if the NCAA ever decided to pay players?

In 2014, answering a question about players forming a union to negotiate for themselves, he said, “As far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that’s where you lose me. I’ll go do something else, because there’s enough entitlement in this world as it is.”

I bet he rides his 9.3 million dollar contract all the way into the iceberg.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

I don't. Most kids won't make a lot of money on their name and likeness.

Agreed, but maybe you do something where tuition is offset by payments received. Nike would pay a guy like Tua or Zion a million a year to sponsor them. No reason the school should have to cover their tuition. 

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Nothing is keeping college players from getting a job at pizza hut or an unpaid internship at Dell. You want to argue that a player should be able to play in the NFL and college at the same time go right ahead.

The issue isn't the pay the issue is the pay disparity. What the universities are making off of the athletes and what the athletes are receiving is not even close to being an equal exchange anymore. But I don't think this problem is fixable in our current system and is due for a total collapse.

Yes it is. Scholarship athletes are barred from working. They can work in the summer but must get permission from the NCAA and the school. 

2 minutes ago, pops said:

Agreed, but maybe you do something where tuition is offset by payments received. Nike would pay a guy like Tua or Zion a million a year to sponsor them. No reason the school should have to cover their tuition. 

Couldn't the school figure that out for themselves and, you know, not pay for his tuition anymore?

3 minutes ago, pops said:

What is the point of this molehill for you guys?  The schools don't give two shits about tuition money of Tua or Zion, so why do you want the school to get it back?

32 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Didn't Dabo say he would quit coaching if the NCAA ever decided to pay players?

Yeah, maybe if the “NCAA” decides to pay players, he’ll quit. His boosters, however...

Edited by fattyflattie
Fuck. Can’t link twitter story about Clemson players new house.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

The next thing that needs to go is the three year rule. If an NFL team wants to take a risk on an 18 year old kid out of high school, why the fuck should the kid be denied that money? 

That’s a terrible idea, don’t college basketball up football.  One and done would be a recruiting nightmare, they will already be getting paid let’s not get crazy. 

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

That’s a terrible idea, don’t college basketball up football.  One and done would be a recruiting nightmare, they will already be getting paid let’s not get crazy. 

The NFL has no desire to waste time with 18 year olds, so the 3 year rule is here to stay.  Why draft and pay a guy to sit on the bench as he physically matures when you can just pay absolutely nothing and let the colleges get him ready?

24 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

What is the point of this molehill for you guys?  The schools don't give two shits about tuition money of Tua or Zion, so why do you want the school to get it back?

Not a molehill at all. Id just rather see that scholarship go to a golfer or a women's rower or whatever if the stud on the football or basketball team clearly doesn't need it. 

1 minute ago, pops said:

Not a molehill at all. Id just rather see that scholarship go to a golfer or a women's rower or whatever if the stud on the football or basketball team clearly doesn't need it. 

WTF? You understand that if a football or basketball player no longer gets a scholarship that it will just go to a different football or basketball player, right?

I’m trying to catch up, and just skimmed an article that seems to state much is left to be determined as to how this plays out. “Names, images and likenesses” covers a lot of ground.  Perhaps “11” jerseys at the Co-op next year may have the name “EHLINGER” on the back, and Sam gets a piece. I wonder how many “10” jerseys Vince sold. And didn’t make a penny.

2 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

That's the problem with this model that no one has addressed, yet.  The coach/school aren't signing the paychecks.  You think it's hard to manage the utes now?  Just wait til their being paid by someone without allegiance to the program.

Yep.  What if the booster has a bet on a particular game and asked his “legally” paid player to have a bad game.  Wink wink.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

WTF? You understand that if a football or basketball player no longer gets a scholarship that it will just go to a different football or basketball player, right?

I mean you understand that every scholarship athlete isn't on a full scholarship, right?  While basketball and football might be 1:1, most minor sports aren't. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Not that the NCAA rules are necessarily, or even likely, going to allow that kind of payment. We're all arguing about this before the rules have even been discussed.

This we can agree on.  I said in the other thread this wasn't going to be the wild, wild west that most people are dreading/hoping.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Just the final nail in the coffin for my interest in college sports. It will become a giant shit show mess. Time to move onto other life pursuits.

Same, not really interested in free agency. The transfer portal and redshirt rule has already been abused. Looks like I'm about to get really good at bass fishing in the fall. Can buy a hell of a lot of lures on what I've spent on Texas merchandise the last 20 years. Good luck the rest of the way University of Texas. 

10 minutes ago, pops said:

Not if you still limit roster size. 

Your position is that lots of football teams will have more than 40 guys making bigtime endorsement money? Football rosters are limited to 125 players. 

5 minutes ago, pops said:

I mean you understand that every scholarship athlete isn't on a full scholarship, right?  While basketball and football might be 1:1, most minor sports aren't. 

How is that relevant to this conversation? Football teams and basketball teams will use up their scholarship numbers. If a player goes off scholarship then another player on that team will get the scholarship. 

5 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

This will go well for about 20-30 teams. The rest will lose players through the transfer portal and free agency or will not be able to afford the outcomes of the  inevitable Title XI lawsuits. 

So much overreaction everywhere.

Also, learn what Title IX actually is so you don't bring up irrelevant issues that aren't really issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

its gonna be a shitshow just like the portal is.  and whoever said it above "yes Texas will fuck this up" is correct.  others will be far out in front of this.

the faster they go to a minor league and get rid of the 3 year rule the better.

we'll have Texas playing Oklahoma till the day i die but it will be with lesser athletes.  I'll be there to watch(as long as Orlando isn't the DC). maybe my 5' 9" 160 pound grandson might get to play for Texas.

Hmm Lesser athletes & 5'9" 160 lbs... Sounds like we've reverted to pre-1960 era football. 

Those against this realize that, had the NCAA continued to bury its head in the sand, a "revolution" of sorts was coming? Unequivocally, at some point fairly soon the players were going to lawyer up in mass and do their damnedest to (rightfully) tear the system down. I honestly don't understand how anyone can be against the NCAA looking for potential solutions before the issue inevitably blew up in their face.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So much overreaction everywhere.

Also, learn what Title IX actually is so you don't bring up irrelevant issues that aren't really issues. 

If you don’t think people will try to use Title IX to demand that women rowers be paid the same as football players, you are more optimistic than me. 

• Like 1