NCAA to Allow Players to be Compensated for their Names, Likenesses, and Images

Seasick Sailor

On 10/29/2019 at 2:33 PM, DaysOff said:
On 10/29/2019 at 1:48 PM, babysdaddy said:
Texas needs to press as far ahead as they can to take advantage of this.  There is no official line yet so don't worry about crossing any.  Get the best players and money whip the fuck out of everyone.  We now have a decided schematic advantage over almost everyone.

Lol. We're going to fuck this up.

We'll fuck it up just like realignment

I'm highly conflicted on this.

On the one hand, I agree that athlete should get paid whatever they are worth for their involvement in the sport. NCAA sports make a ton of money and it's a bit ridiculous that they don't get a cut of that.

On the other hand, I've always felt they do get paid in the form of acceptance into the university, coaching, training, and a stage on which to audition for the NFL. Some would argue that is chump change compared to their actual value. Perhaps that's true, but schools like UT relax their academic admissions standards to get these players onto the football team, and there's a huge value that comes with that. Other college applicants with much better credentials are turned away from an institution that has the primary purpose of academics. If a player is getting ushered through the VIP door when their academic ability is marginal, then that's a priceless benefit. If they aren't happy with that, their alternative is to not play college sports.

I don't know exactly how to reconcile those feelings. A part of me wants schools to be forced to hold athletes to the same admissions standards as the rest of the student body. That would obviously hurt a school like UT. That same part of me wants athletic scholarships to be eliminated or completely restricted, forcing the athletes to pay their own way or earn an academic scholarship, just like 99% of the rest of the student body. The trade off being that the truly good athletes can get paid on their own from jersey sales and endorsements, but no more free tuition and board for these guys just on the basis of playing football.

At the end of the day I think the connection between NCAA sports and college universities is incredibly tenuous and the most reasonable thing is to sever those ties completely. Although that completely destroys any college sports fan's emotional investment in the game, and none of us would be happy with that outcome.

Expand the minor league systems. Let the universities build new programs from the ground up but restrict the salaries of ADs, coaches, etc. Come up with some structure for TV contracts and merchandise sales in a way that attempts to funnel money back into the respective schools for the sake of academics, research, etc. You would lose a lot of the elite athletes but I would rather watch a squad of less talented players who actually want to be a student-athlete at UT. I think that would be more fun than a land of free agency where everyone is merely using college football as a prep league, and someone will switch from Bama to OU if the Big Red Sports Imports offers a lucrative endorsement.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Dead serious -- then UT should drop to D3.  WE have many posters claiming that they'd like to see "real students" competing and not "quasi-professionals" and that the name on the front of the jersey is what's really important, and this would accomplish that.  

My daughter goes to a D2 school, and I'll admit, it's fun to see a team full of guys majoring in engineering and computer science kicking everyone's asses.

But 90+ percent never go pro, so it really wouldn’t make too much a shit in this scenario. 

• Like 1

Just a hypothetical situation

Jake Bartell gets a part in a show about highly ranked high school QB's.  He's considered one of the best QB's in the country.  Goes to Ohio State, signs a contract with Little Red Motors to be their "spokesman".  Little Red Motors has locations in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Kentucky.

Jake redshirts his first year but has plenty of time to visit each location in each state.  He's paid $3500 per visit.  Everybody loves Jake as he is the next great QB at Ohio State.

Dustin Fields plays for Georgia.  He doesn't believe he got a fair shot to play QB so decides to enter transfer portal in the offseason and likes Ohio State the best.  Ohio State likes Dustin too.

Now Jake realizes he's not guaranteed the QB spot like he thought he was.  He decides he wants to transfer to another school where they need QB's.  

Except he's got a contract with LRM through Ohio State.  And he owes taxes for income earned in 4 different states.

This is all hypothetical though, I'm sure a scenario like this would never play out IRL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Jake Bartell gets a part in a show about highly ranked high school QB's.  He's considered one of the best QB's in the country.  Goes to Ohio State, signs a contract with Little Red Motors to be their "spokesman".  Little Red Motors has locations in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Kentucky.

Jake redshirts his first year but has plenty of time to visit each location in each state.  He's paid $3500 per visit.  Everybody loves Jake as he is the next great QB at Ohio State.

Dustin Fields plays for Georgia.  He doesn't believe he got a fair shot to play QB so decides to enter transfer portal in the offseason and likes Ohio State the best.  Ohio State likes Dustin too.

Now Jake realizes he's not guaranteed the QB spot like he thought he was.  He decides he wants to transfer to another school where they need QB's.  

Except he's got a contract with LRM through Ohio State.  And he owes taxes for income earned in 4 different states.

This is all hypothetical though, I'm sure a scenario like this would never play out IRL.

His contract isn't though Ohio State though.

They are grown enough to get paid they are grown enough to get fucked by Uncle Sam.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Yeah the Michigan locals would love having Jake the Ohio State QB making appearances at the car dealership.

11 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

If a player can’t make $1,500 off their likeness at UT, then they can’t make $1,500 off their likeness at any other school, either, so how would that make them transfer? 
You think schools don’t already have bag men that just pay guys directly? All this will do is create a legal, reported market for paying players, instead of the black market that currently exists. Making it above board benefits the players and schools like UT.

I doubt Shane could have sold enough jerseys or whatever at UT to earn as much as he’ll earn at SMU.

The bag men I’m talking about are those who might agree to buy jerseys or whatever in bulk to keep content those players with less earnings capacity. Some school can exploit this down the entire roster, some have no hope of doing so.

Of course, UT could have enough bag men to fund Shane and everyone else, but only if it’s allowed. Texas doesn’t cheat on an institutional basis. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Grammer and spelling

2 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

So he would have scored the same contract by going to Pitt

If Pitt has a Little Blue Motors that wants to pay him,then sure. 

I agree that there are plenty of ways for players to screw up the money.  That's true for 18-year-olds (and 59-year-olds) in all walks of life, not just college athletes.

Like I said it's all a hypothetical.  I'm sure none of that would ever happen.

Logistically you're inviting a nightmare scenario by doing this.  It's a bit like drinking alcohol.  Outside of a temporary feeling of happiness/relief/fulfillment, there is literally zero positive gain.  Zero.  Can't think of one.

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should"

This coming from someone who would absolutely love to see NCAA football back on the game platforms.  I'm calling it right now.  This shit will fail because people don't know what they don't know what they don't know.  If I'm wrong, I'll fucking own it.

Between this and the rule changes, the game is going to turn into something I honestly don't know if I will ever enjoy as much as I have in the past and I'd be highly surprised if many others here and away feel exactly the same.

and that's really fucking sad.

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I've always felt they do get paid in the form of acceptance into the university,

Nobody likes to talk about that part. It's always been a quid pro quo. What percentage of UT football players could actually get into UT if Admissions couldn't discount their HS grades and board scores? It's not a lot. 

Of course, the schools fucked up the quid pro quo by not allowing the players to maximize the value of their education, forcing them into worthless majors and requiring the scholarship be redeemed concurrently with playing major college football. The NCAA model would have worked a lot better if the athletes could bankroll their scholarship "credits" and return to use them as full-time students once their football careers were over. 

8 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

And so what if it did?

7 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

3 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Like I said it's all a hypothetical.  I'm sure none of that would ever happen.

Logistically you're inviting a nightmare scenario by doing this.  It's a bit like drinking alcohol.  Outside of a temporary feeling of happiness/relief/fulfillment, there is literally zero positive gain.  Zero.  Can't think of one.

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should"

This coming from someone who would absolutely love to see NCAA football back on the game platforms.  I'm calling it right now.  This shit will fail because people don't know what they don't know what they don't know.  If I'm wrong, I'll fucking own it.

Between this and the rule changes, the game is going to turn into something I honestly don't know if I will ever enjoy as much as I have in the past and I'd be highly surprised if many others here and away feel exactly the same.

and that's really fucking sad.

Yet another poster following the same two step process of fail.

1. Coaches start making millions - I HOPE MY TEAM PAYS MORE MONEY!
School administrators start making millions - GOTTA KEEP UP, PAY THEM MONEY!
NCAA administrators start making millions - IT'S A BIG JOB, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?
Athletes start making thousands - Now wait a gotdamn second.

2. Comes up with some weird hypothetical that involves the school directly paying the player or otherwise being contractually involved with the payments despite the fact this entire situation is only about schools and the NCAA possibly no longer preventing third parties from paying players.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No but his contract in your hypothetical is though the Little Red Motors, not Ohio State. Maybe they stipulate if he transfers it's void but you aren't making a real point by saying he's contracted though Ohio State for his $. 

I get it though, this shit is going to get sideways really fast, it's legal to pay players now.

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

NCAA administrators start making millions - IT'S A BIG JOB, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

2. Comes up with some weird hypothetical that involves the school directly paying the player or otherwise being contractually involved with the payments despite the fact this entire situation is only about schools and the NCAA possibly no longer preventing third parties from paying players.

lol thank you for having a functioning brain. 

I'm down for athletes making money, I just wish they would've put a program in place for the school to help handle it better so we don't wind up with 1000s of Vince Youngs. 

The school should provide them with sports agents for free to help them with contracts and handling their $. 

That way they aren't trying to juggle "student-athlete" and professional spokesman for Nick Saban's shell companies. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yep.  Mullet is full of fail on this thread.  Not sure why there are people who still can't understand point #2.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I'm down for athletes making money, I just wish they would've put a program in place for the school to help handle it better so we don't wind up with 1000s of Vince Youngs. 

The school should provide them with sports agents for free to help them with contracts and handling their $. 

Or they could, you know, hire an agent themselves who works off commission from the contracts he helps them get.  The agent might even be helpful in procuring said contracts!

Edited by Beau Vine

55 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Or they could, you know, hire an agent themselves who works off commission from the contracts he helps them get.  The agent might even be helpful in procuring said contracts!

lol they have to help fucking NFL players not get screwed by fake agents dude they would really need to help kids fresh out of high school not get screwed hiring Uncle Pete to take care of the contracts and money...

Fuck the NCAA, allowing kids to make money based off of their talents/likeness whatever is the right call, but the NCAA is so institutionally stupid and clumsy that there is just no way this won’t be a complete and total clusterfuck.

man, some kids are gonna get fucked over, probably in ways that can’t be foreseen yet, but an obvious one is some kid signs with a school for 50-100k, acts like the kid he is and spends it all, doesn’t do well on the field, no money after that initial payment, but now the taxes are due and he spent it all thinking he was gonna be paid in college until he went in the first round of the draft.  

I mean, if you think about NFL busts who end up broke and with a shitty life, it’s gonna be worse for lots of college washouts. Just as many friends/relatives with their hands out, less money, and a much higher bust chance.

If they really wanted to do right by these kids, they would need to be very careful in writing the rules here and making sure schools or some other centralized entity takes some responsibility to help manage things- set aside money in escrow for taxes, etc. 

I’m sure schools will find ways to monetize this too, “sign with us and you’ll get access to a marketing department and financial guidance, for just 20% of your earnings” 

I've never liked the business side of sports at any level. I realize that college athletics are a huge business and that athletes should get a cut of the profit, but I guess in my perfect little fantasy land I wish that college athletics were not as big of a business. I'd like to see college players be student-athletes rather than semi-pro players. There needs to be a separate pathway (i.e. minor league baseball) for guys who are ready to monetize themselves.

And for the argument that coaches and administrators are making millions, I wish that would be capped as well. It's ridiculous to pay Charlie Strong or Tom Herman millions to lose football games while we have Nobel Prize winning faculty who earn far less.

I realize that will probably never happen. The NFL has no incentive to create a minor league when they can allow the NCAA to do that for them. The possibility of a 3rd party minor league football organization is also slim because there is too much established competition with the NCAA and NFL.

So we're stuck with what we have, but that doesn't mean I have to like it and I'm not crazy about college athletes getting paid because it's one more step in the wrong direction.

Edited by wild_turkey

4 hours ago, Zavala said:

lol they have to help fucking NFL players not get screwed by fake agents dude they would really need to help kids fresh out of high school not get screwed hiring Uncle Pete to take care of the contracts and money...

And they easily  could free-ride off of this by only hiring NFL-certified or NBA-certified agents.

2 hours ago, Jebus said:

Fuck the NCAA, allowing kids to make money based off of their talents/likeness whatever is the right call, but the NCAA is so institutionally stupid and clumsy that there is just no way this won’t be a complete and total clusterfuck.

man, some kids are gonna get fucked over, probably in ways that can’t be foreseen yet, but an obvious one is some kid signs with a school for 50-100k, acts like the kid he is and spends it all, doesn’t do well on the field, no money after that initial payment, but now the taxes are due and he spent it all thinking he was gonna be paid in college until he went in the first round of the draft.  

I mean, if you think about NFL busts who end up broke and with a shitty life, it’s gonna be worse for lots of college washouts. Just as many friends/relatives with their hands out, less money, and a much higher bust chance.

If they really wanted to do right by these kids, they would need to be very careful in writing the rules here and making sure schools or some other centralized entity takes some responsibility to help manage things- set aside money in escrow for taxes, etc. 

I’m sure schools will find ways to monetize this too, “sign with us and you’ll get access to a marketing department and financial guidance, for just 20% of your earnings” 

Or you could treat them all like adults, and if they make childish mistakes, they suffer the consequences, like in real life. 

If Pickens would've lasted a few more months, guarantee there would've been a $1B+ trust in place to fund OSU football players in perpetuity.  This will eventually happen with schools with a big enough fish willing to fund it. Good enough for a football scholarship at Texas and you're good enough to be a "spokesman" for Cooter Brown's Trust at $100,000 per season. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Or you could treat them all like adults, and if they make childish mistakes, they suffer the consequences, like in real life. 

except that 17 & 18 year olds that have never lived away from home don't have any experience or life skills for dealing with a sudden influx of $100k.  You can say all you want about how their parents should have taught them better or prepared them better for "real life", but I'd be willing to bet that plenty of people on surly or anywhere else would willingly admit that they would have fucked themselves up pretty good if someone had said come up to them their first day of college and said "here's $100k, have fun".

My point is not that the players should not have any responsibility, it's that the organizations, coaches, etc. that all go on and on about "molding young men" and "educating people that wouldn't normally be able to go to college" and the purity of student athletics shouldn't just say "hey guys, you're adults, figure all this shit out on your own, this is not our problem."

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jebus said:

except that 17 & 18 year olds that have never lived away from home don't have any experience or life skills for dealing with a sudden influx of $100k.  You can say all you want about how their parents should have taught them better or prepared them better for "real life", but I'd be willing to bet that plenty of people on surly or anywhere else would willingly admit that they would have fucked themselves up pretty good if someone had said come up to them their first day of college and said "here's $100k, have fun".

My point is not that the players should not have any responsibility, it's that the organizations, coaches, etc. that all go on and on about "molding young men" and "educating people that wouldn't normally be able to go to college" and the purity of student athletics shouldn't just say "hey guys, you're adults, figure all this shit out on your own, this is not our problem."

I enjoy all the handwring about kids getting a sudden influx of cash and what they might do with it, yet the same collegiate system doesn’t seem to worry what kids might do if we loaned them a big chunk of cash instead. 

12 hours ago, Jebus said:

They'd figure it out what to do.

spacer.png

16 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

If Pickens would've lasted a few more months, guarantee there would've been a $1B+ trust in place to fund OSU football players in perpetuity.  This will eventually happen with schools with a big enough fish willing to fund it. Good enough for a football scholarship at Texas and you're good enough to be a "spokesman" for Cooter Brown's Trust at $100,000 per season. 

The early abuse won’t be paying top athletes 6-figures. The early abuse will be paying in-state seniors on scholarship to give up their scholarship in exchange for switching to walk-on status, thus allowing programs to skirt scholarship limits. 

Cheaper than throwing $100k/ yr at an unproven recruit, less egregious, shorter financial commitment. 

Also, 18 year old kids sometimes do stupid things. Regardless of a decision maker’s attachment to their favorite college football team, making a young knucklehead the public persona of a business carries a lot of reputation risk. BMDs giving money behind the scenes is a lot different than BMDs risking their company’s reputation on the hope that same knucklehead doesn’t get arrested for beating his girlfriend, or whatever. 

Edited by Randolph Duke

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

The early abuse won’t be paying top athletes 6-figures. The early abuse will be paying in-state seniors on scholarship to give up their scholarship in exchange for switching to walk-on status, thus allowing programs to skirt scholarship limits. 

You'll also see some 5-star athletes walk on for a fee of scholarship + salary to get around scholarship limits.

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Also, 18 year old kids sometimes do stupid things. Regardless of a decision maker’s attachment to their favorite college football team, making a young knucklehead the public persona of a business carries a lot of reputation risk. BMDs giving money behind the scenes is a lot different than BMDs risking their company’s reputation on the hope that same knucklehead doesn’t get arrested for beating his girlfriend, or whatever. 

I should have written that as "spokesman".  There won't be one player getting paid that has to do anything to cash that check.

The way I see it going is you'll see a group of BMDs get together and spread the money around to fund an entire team.  As a result, there will be the University of Texas Quarterback depth chart sponsored by Leif Johnson Autos.  The aggy Linebacker Crew sponsored by Massingil.  Etc.  

25 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

You'll also see some 5-star athletes walk on for a fee of scholarship + salary to get around scholarship limits.

I should have written that as "spokesman".  There won't be one player getting paid that has to do anything to cash that check.

The way I see it going is you'll see a group of BMDs get together and spread the money around to fund an entire team.  As a result, there will be the University of Texas Quarterback depth chart sponsored by Leif Johnson Autos.  The aggy Linebacker Crew sponsored by Massingil.  Etc.  

Publicly traded companies will be VERY cautious about bringing college football recruits onto the payroll as spokespeople. Too much reputational risk, too much of a risk of a derivative suit against the exec who pushed the idea for converting company funds to personal gain.

It would have to be a sole proprietorship, or a very closely held entity where the investors were all in agreement.

Also, paying a recruit $100k/yr as a spokesperson to attend a school will set an expectation that the recruit will be paid his entire college career (or the employment agreement will have a stated four tear term). Even successful companies can burn cash quickly by having multiple college "spokesman" kids on the payroll at $100k+/yr. Marketing budgets have their limits. Wasting millions on personal interests (college sports) isn't always the best way to grow a business.

At first, BMDs who want to play the game will first go after the low hanging fruit, which would be to essentially fund scholarships above the NCAA limits, and then pay the players who develop a presence in the marketplace.

A company may choose to pay a recruit, but they still have the responsibility to show the transaction had a legitimate business interest (for tax purposes), and wasn't simply entered into to promote a college football program, at the expense of the company. One or two sham transactions to "buy" recruits for a program could easily result in tax fraud charges, especially state tax fraud charges when the alumni from a competing program look to go after their rival program.

The idiot parents who bribed their kids' way into the various schools will soon learn the tax angle. The guy receiving the bribes ran them through a 501c3, and you know the parents deducted the bribes as charitable contributions. A quid pro quo for an illegal act is not deductible, just as sham "marketing contract" with an 18-year old that confers little, if any, benefit to the company. Back taxes, penalties, legal fees, and the specter of having the tax man run through your filings with a fine-tooth comb are all legitimate reasons for the BMDs to tread lightly.

Most BMDs would rather enter enter into a defined, one-time payment behind the scenes over getting their personal businesses intertwined with the actions of an 18-year old kid for four or five years.

Edited by Randolph Duke

RD, I don’t disagree with what you said, but my guess would be the big SEC teams and their boosters are already working on this.  They’ll be ahead of everyone else without a doubt.  And I’m guessing there are plenty of rich boosters from each that could make a dent. 50k here and there from 2-3 dozen crazed boosters would field a hell of a team. That’s what a gently used Tahoe costs.  It’s doable. 

Edited by fattyflattie

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

RD, I don’t disagree with what you said, but my guess would be the big SEC teams and their boosters are already working on this.  They’ll be ahead of everyone else without a doubt.  And I’m guessing there are plenty of rich boosters from each that could make a dent. 50k here and there from 2-3 dozen crazed boosters would field a hell of a team. That’s what a gently used Tahoe costs.  It’s doable. 

It's certainly doable, but the projections that corporate money is going to flow to 18-year old high school recruits as an incentive to pick a school are far overblown. An in-state scholarship is worth about $25k/ semester to an athlete. A one-time payment to a senior scholarship holder as an inducement to switch to a walk-on and make room under the 85-man limit is far more attractive to any booster than establishing a $400k four year commitment to an unproven recruit.

How paying college players evolves is truly anyone's guess, but the promise of riches and a one-off influx of cash to sign a small, short term endorsement deal for a local business, coupled with the prospect of big money in a year or two should the player deliver, is a much more realistic model for how paying player will initially be effected.

As a theoretical example, if Wheels Up suddenly offers Bijan Robinson $100k as a spokesman if he signs with Ohio State, it would instantly set off alarm bells in Austin, and beyond. If there was any evidence the endorsement deal was conditioned on his first signing to play, there would be accusations the endorsement deal was not a legitimate business deal, but rather an improper inducement. Not that it would be successful, any Austin company who had agreed with Robinson on an endorsement deal based on the fact he already committed to UT and had some value in the Austin marketplace could claim the actions of Wheels Up constituted tortuous interference with a contract, and would be are off to the courthouse with subpoenas, depositions, and all that fun.

Guys like Bryan Bresee, Flowe, Ringo, etc, should know their long term endorsement value would be FAR greater if they kept their reputations clean and walked carefully into the endorsement landscape. Their being caught up in an endorsement scandal early in their career could easily cost them millions later.

The first big change will be that these kids are retaining professional representation at age 18. If the NCAA were smart, they would follow the lead of the NFLPA and require professional representatives to be registered, to display some basic level of competence, to follow a code of ethics, and for the endorsement contracts to be registered with the NCAA so that some oversight could be maintained, and proper controls instituted over time.

But if the NCAA were smart....

19 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Good luck proving that.

Once subpoenas start getting tossed around, the incentives to execute a cover-up begin to diminish.

A corporate executive steering corporate money directly as income to football recruits of his preferred college football program with little discernible benefit to the corporation constitutes conversion of corporate property to the personal use of the executive. It would be akin to a CEO padding the payroll with family members who provide no true honest services. Even if it is a sole proprietorship, it could constitute tax fraud. If it was a publicly traded corporation, the problems are far more serious.

One derivative lawsuit and the subpoenas start to fly. And if you don't think the competitive nature of college sports will motivate individuals to file derivative suits in perceived cases of sham endorsement payments, I would respectfully disagree.

The recent college enrollment scandal, which started as a securities fraud investigation, should show people that when the dollar amounts get high enough, there is plenty of incentive for legal action to follow. There will be plenty of young prosecutors wanting their shot at making a name for themselves on the national stage. Blowing up a massive, corrupt college football "recruiting endorsement" scandal would be a huge opportunity for an ambitious individual.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Wouldn't be difficult to just cap the roster sizes, as we see with the NFL.  Scholie or not, you get "X" amount of players.  Tweak what we have now in any number of variations.

Edited by BabaYaga

25 minutes ago, 'stache said:

A scholarship is a form of compensation, but can we stop pretending that it's market value or anything close? Tua gets the same scholarship as 'Bama's backup punter. That is not a free market result. 

We also need to quit saying that a scholarship is worth $X, using the cost of tuition as an input.  P5 football players pretty much aren't able or even allowed to take real classes -- a degree in Physical Culture and Sport or Youth and Community Studies from UT is not worth several hundred thousand dollars.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Nebraska announces first-ever program to help athletes with “brand building” ahead of NIL legislation 

https://footballscoop.com/news/nebraska-announces-cutting-edge-program-to-help-athletes-with-brand-building-ahead-of-nil-legislation/ 

Nebraska has announced today that they will be the first to launch a custom program designed to help their student athletes build their individual brands. The program – OpenDorse – will work with all 650+ Cornhusker athletes to provide some really valuable tools.  

Blake Lawrence, a Nebraska football alum, founded OpenDorse and noted that he and his company have been preparing for this moment for over seven years.  How will it work? Well, the Ready Now Program will offer every Nebraska student athlete a current valuation of their brand and will also review and flag content that could have a negative impact on their brand and provide insight to help increase the individual’s brand value as well, the announcement points out. Currently, OpenDorse works with over 10,000 athletes worldwide including players in the NFL, PGA tour, and MLB among a host of others.

A traditionalist in a lot of ways, Frost shared just six months ago that he wasn’t convinced that the NIL movement to pay players was a great idea, calling it a “slippery slope” in a piece by Omaha.com.  However, as more and more states have introduced NIL legislation forward, it has become a matter of “when” an “how” compensating players for name, image, and likeness is going to look in college athletics moving forward, and it is no longer considered an “if” as it once was. For Frost and his staff, it sounds like being on the cutting edge has become a matter of player development.

Frost shared the following thoughts on being the leader in this space via an announcement from the school:   “We believe social media is at the core of this next frontier for player development,” Nebraska Head Coach Scott Frost said. “There’s an opportunity for our players that transcends compensation today – we as coaches and leaders can provide our student-athletes the tools to maximize their future value while they’re competing for the University of Nebraska.    Regardless of what change comes in NIL legislation, we want every Nebraska athlete to be prepared with the blueprint for success beyond the field. With Ready Now and the unrivaled passion of the Husker fanbase, I believe a current student-athlete’s brand can be considerably more valuable at Nebraska.”

Edited by LTtxfan

• 3 months later...
On 11/2/2019 at 10:40 AM, 'stache said:

A scholarship is a form of compensation, but can we stop pretending that it's market value or anything close? 

what is the market value of getting someone who's not even remotely academically qualified into college? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/us/lori-loughlin-pleads-guilty.html

like $500,000.....?