NCAA to Allow Players to be Compensated for their Names, Likenesses, and Images

Seasick Sailor

6 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

If a player does make some money from a third party, should the school be able to then charge him for the cost of his education, training, coaching, housing, etc?

edit: sorry if this has already been discussed, I didn't read the entire thread.

Why would they want to?  Spite?  You think a player is going to come to Texas and pay for their training vs another school where it will be free?  You think school with a successful football program is worried about those breadcrumbs or will they continue doing whatever it takes to have a winning football program?

45 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

If a player does make some money from a third party, should the school be able to then charge him for the cost of his education, training, coaching, housing, etc?

edit: sorry if this has already been discussed, I didn't read the entire thread.

Why would they do this? If a regular student is on academic scholarship and they get a job during school or over the summer, do they get their scholarship reduced by how much they made that year? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Why would they want to?  Spite?  You think a player is going to come to Texas and pay for their training vs another school where it will be free?  You think school with a successful football program is worried about those breadcrumbs or will they continue doing whatever it takes to have a winning football program?

I was assuming that it would be policy across the entire NCAA. If not, then of course a school wouldn't do that.

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Why would they do this? If a regular student is on academic scholarship and they get a job during school or over the summer, do they get their scholarship reduced by how much they made that year? 

Serious question, which I don't know the answer to: what is the financial source of most academic scholarships? What is the source of athletic scholarships?

But I don't think the income from the type of job someone on an academic scholar ship would get while they are still in school can be compared to money athletes would make from third parties using their likenesses and images (or whatever the term was).

Regardless, we act like athletic scholarships are more or less the same as academic, financial, or whatever scholarships. They aren't.

17 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

But I don't think the income from the type of job someone on an academic scholar ship would get while they are still in school can be compared to money athletes would make from third parties using their likenesses and images (or whatever the term was).

I agree, college should cost more for rich people.

That's where you were going with this, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

I wasn't clear. When I said

I don't think the income from the type of job someone on an academic scholar ship would get while they are still in school can be compared to money athletes would make from third parties using their likenesses and images

I didn't mean compare in the sense of amounts. The money a student on a full academic scholarship makes working at Wendy's 15 hours a week should not be equated to or treated the same as the money an athlete gets from a third party for using their likeness and image.

In other words saying this idea or that idea regarding the issue of student athletes getting paid sucks or is awesome because we don't do that to the money money academic scholars makes is not a sound argument.

Athletic scholarships are a whole different ball game than academic scholarships.

6 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

My answer is YES.   Wendy's isn't using the uniform and logo of the university if it hires a student.  If the auto-dealership wants an athlete's 'image' you can bet they want that image to be in uniform.  That's the U's IP and they can get a piece of the action. Of course the dealership will pay through the U or an affiliate so the athlete never sees the dollars he doesn't get.

In the 5 minutes of PACN I watched last year, the athletes are posing in full uniform saying "next on the PAC Twelve Network, something weird."  There the conference got all of the estimated 10 cents in revenue from the athlete's work.  So I doubt the will just give up that control for nothing.  I've said from the beginning when the dust settles, the grownups will still take the lion share of the 'image likeness' whatever and the athlete will get some chicken feed. 

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I was assuming that it would be policy across the entire NCAA. If not, then of course a school wouldn't do that.

Serious question, which I don't know the answer to: what is the financial source of most academic scholarships? What is the source of athletic scholarships?

Regardless, we act like athletic scholarships are more or less the same as academic, financial, or whatever scholarships. They aren't.

57 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I wasn't clear. When I said

I didn't mean compare in the sense of amounts. The money a student on a full academic scholarship makes working at Wendy's 15 hours a week should not be equated to or treated the same as the money an athlete gets from a third party for using their likeness and image.

In other words saying this idea or that idea regarding the issue of student athletes getting paid sucks or is awesome because we don't do that to the money money academic scholars makes is not a sound argument.

Athletic scholarships are a whole different ball game than academic scholarships.

True. Football scholarships have a way higher ROI than any of the other scholarships you mentioned, so since they already make the University the most money, we should definitely deplete the money those athletes could make individually by forcing them to pay back their scholarships on top of it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I hadn’t thought of this. If endorsements, etc. are handled like outside scholarships, it could be handled similarly.

Currently, if a player receives an outside scholarship that is based - in part or in whole - on their athletic achievements, the NCAA considers that akin to an athletic scholarship. They reduce the athletic scholarships for that sport at that school by an equivalent amount.

Maybe that only happens in equivalency sports, meaning sports where partial athletic scholarships are awarded.

For example, if each school is limited to 12 equivalency scholarships and a roster limit of 30, they can give anything from nothing to a full scholarship (or anything in between) to individual athletes, but the parts cannot combine for a total of more than 12 full scholarships. If an athlete receives an outside scholarship based in any way on athletics, the school has to either reduce that athlete’s scholarship by that amount or withhold that amount from the total available to other athletes.

Clear as mud?

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

To me, a more likely scenario is that scholarship limits won't really mean shit anymore. Coaches will oversign and when they hit their limit then they will talk kids into walking on with boosters paying their way instead of scholarships.

"So Jalen, we've hit 25 scholarships this class but if you'd like to come here I have a contract from Big Red Sports and Imports, they want to pay you $100k for you to do some commercials... Oh and it comes with the use of a company car...."

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...