Mack Brown's Legacy

Born Burnt

Mack Brown's Legacy  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Now that's he's been gone over four years, what are your feelings about Mack?

• Brought the program back to prominence…that's why he's a Longhorn Legend.
    • Did some good things, did some bad.
    • Got fat and lazy. Stayed too long.
    • Will never forgive him for leaving like a baby back bitch.
    • All of the above, dipshit.

Two Conference Titles in 16 years.  The two years we won we went to the MNC game.  Should have won more of those Texas-OU games and that 2008 Tceh game and we wouldn't be debating this.

Because he didn't win those games he is not legendary and his giving up on recruiting after 2005 and bitchassed "killing myself" stuff made it worse.

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

246- 15.   Four Black Saturdays in Dallas.  

The worst losses in the history of Texas football.   Brown did some good things but those unbridled cluster fucks will never go away.

Those four plus the loss in the CCG giveaway to Colorado in 2001 are the ones I could never forgive him for.  He was already dead to me before VY's magic in '04 and '05.

• Hook 'Em 1

As a non-long time Texas fan, I just noticed over the years that he seemed to get less out of more ungodly great recruiting classes than anyone else.   I really was jealous of many years where you hauled in a ton of talent.  And then did not win championships.  Like Number 11 in baseball at FSU.    Always around the brass ring, but not grabbing it as often as he should.

Vince was Vince.  And he recruited him, so...

I remember when Chance Mock was still on the Horn recalling Vince's recruitment. It was particularly vivid for him he said due to the fact he was getting killed running the zone read in practice while Davis was selling Vince that they would run the offense he was suited for if he committed.

Being tagged with the pejorative Coach February while denying the credit for the fruits great recruiting produced is just monotonous re-heated disconnect.

He's the only other coach besides Royal to win a NC at Texas, in an age of scholarship limits, in a conference with OU (and to a lesser extent, Nebraska), played for another one and should have played for a third. Despite the OU blowouts and lack of conference titles, those are pretty commendable high water marks.

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

As a non-long time Texas fan, I just noticed over the years that he seemed to get less out of more ungodly great recruiting classes than anyone else.  

This perception definitely existed, but was way overblown IMO. Mack was a great recruiter and got a ton of talent, no doubt. But, there existed a narrative that he had #1 national classes every year. It just wasn't the case. Starting in 2002 (first Rivals rankings), his classes were ranked #1 (VY class), #15, #10, #20, #5, #5, #14, #5, #3, etc. Very good classes, but they were made out to be consensus top-3, and they weren't anything like that. There were a handful of programs over this period that recruited just about as well who did not have significantly more success than Mack did. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slick16 said:

Those four plus the loss in the CCG giveaway to Colorado in 2001 are the ones I could never forgive him for.  He was already dead to me before VY's magic in '04 and '05.

I still get ragey when I think about that fucking game

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2005/11/28/153820/61

Edited by Texas007
English is hard

5 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

How do you beat someone 41-7 (IIRC) in one game and six weeks later lose to that same team?

You play not to lose because you're coached by Mack Brown. Playing not to lose doesn't work well against teams that play to win. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This perception definitely existed, but was way overblown IMO. Mack was a great recruiter and got a ton of talent, no doubt. But, there existed a narrative that he had #1 national classes every year. It just wasn't the case. Starting in 2002 (first Rivals rankings), his classes were ranked #1 (VY class), #15, #10, #20, #5, #5, #14, #5, #3, etc. Very good classes, but they were made out to be consensus top-3, and they weren't anything like that. There were a handful of programs over this period that recruited just about as well who did not have significantly more success than Mack did. 

I would love to see recruiting rankings by teams over time.  Bama is killing it now.  Bobby Used to dadgum kill it in the 90s.  I wonder who was better than mack over his run.

Edited by Gatorubet

I would love to see recruiting rankings by teams over time.  Bama is killing it now.  Bobby Used to dadgum kill it in the 90s.  I wonder who was better than mack over his run.
I vaguely recall dorking out at one point and was was surprised recruiting services' averages placed Georgia ahead of Texas during Mack's golden era of recruiting, tho I could be mistaken.

Yeah, in those exact years I couldn't tell you off the top of my head. OU was just about as good for most of the Stoops era. Florida St, Miami for a while, Ohio St, USC, Georgia. 

Mack got great talent, but it's not like UT always had the most "talented" team around. Even in '05, Ohio State and USC teams had about equal levels of talent. Hell that Ohio St team's entire defense played in the NFL, many of them 1st-round picks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

How do you beat someone 41-7 (IIRC) in one game and six weeks later lose to that same team?

Yeah that game was the worst. 

However - that CU team also found something later in that season. Remember - they ran Nebraska (who ended up playing for the national title) off the field the day after Thanksgiving, I think scored over 60 on them, which was stunning at the time. CU found that running game that was very good. Add in the Chris SImms meltdown, the play in which our two best offensive players (Benson and Mike Williams) ran into each other and knocked each other out of the game, and the final nail - the roughing the punter penalty that effectively ended the game - and that whole night was beyond frustrating. (side note: I may have overreacted and freaked out after the roughing penalty by screaming a string of obscenities at whoever's house I was at (it was just me and a wine and cheese crowd), falling drunkenly to my knees and pounding the floor with my fist yelling "why?! why?! why?!" over and over.)

Mack is a legend and one of the best to ever coach here. We are lucky to have had him.

That being said, I was ready to see him leave at the end and stand by those feelings. As good as he was, he created a soft and entitled country club program with no sense of competitive drive and consequence, and that was the biggest source of the issues that have kept us back the last 5 years. Mack's solutions after Colt went down vs Bama (and really since 2006 with the lense of hindsight, we just had Colt being a big band-aid) were like taking MDMA to cure cancer. Sure, you probably feel pretty good but you still have a tumor festering inside of you and sucking the life out of you. Not to start a Charlie debate, but him gutting the program and creating the roster pit which we're finally about to crawl out of was probably a pretty good solution, and we needed to be de-Mack-ified.

He had a weird arc. 

His teams underperformed for several years, highlighted by five straight losses to ou, two of which were the most embarrassing displays I've ever seen by any team I care about.

Then we had an absolutely great six-year run.  Four BCS bowls and three wins.  A national title, another that was stolen by an injury, and another chance that was stolen by voters.  But we were finally where we should always be - contending most of the time and still winning 10 even in the rebuilding years.

Then the wheels came off.  Mack became surly and allowed entitlement to fester.  In the last couple of years, he quit recruiting and our classes dropped into the 20s.  He somehow managed to leave the program worse than he found it.

I still maintain that Colt's injury ruined Mack.  I suspect his plan was to beat Alabama and ride off into the sunset.  I could be wrong about that, but regardless, the man was never the same after that.  It broke his heart and his will followed.

So, overall, it has to be said that Mack's teams underperformed more often than they met expectations.  There's no denying it.  

It's also worth noting that I always trusted Mack to represent us well in the media and run a clean program.  The importance of these things cannot be overstated.

But "legend" is a strong word.  I don't think 1 natty and 2 conference titles in 16 years is enough to get that title.  Not at Texas.

For someone who is clinically insane on all baseball posts this one is incredibly right on the mark. Good post.

Key point is that he did indeed leave the program worse off than he found it.

It’s a complicated thing to try and judge Mack’s tenure at Texas. Who could have done better? To wrangle all the bullshit that encircles this program. The political, financial, and overwhelming presence of self entitled Billionaire boosters, not to mention the hyperactive social media. It’s almost an impossible situation, and one that very few people could handle. 

DKR is a Texas Legend. But I cannot help but believe deep in my heart, if the exact same forces existed in the 1960s that exist today, DKR would not have three MNCs. 

DKR would have been fired in 1967.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
3 hours ago, Gidnik said:

i get so sick of the mack bashing.  we can never pay him back for all he did for the university.  obviously nobody else has been able to win the way he did while he was here.  

And we still haven’t recovered because he stayed here too long.

Mack made himself bigger than the program and we are still paying the price. People who allowed him to do that bear much of the blame. He absolutely deserves major criticism. He is the one who decided he was entitled to give 60% effort for several years at the University of Texas. We pay entirely too much money for that. And some of you still don’t get it, 15 years after he started to mail it in. 

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Mack made himself bigger than the program and we are still paying the price. People who allowed him to do that bear much of the blame. He absolutely deserves major criticism. He is the one who decided he was entitled to give 60% effort for several years at the University of Texas. We pay entirely too much money for that. And some of you still don’t get it, 15 years after he started to mail it in. 

If Colt hadn't gotten injured, we would have won the MNC. Everyone had a good feeling that if that had happened, Mack was set to retire and leave the keys to Muschamp.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

If Colt hadn't gotten injured, we would have won the MNC. Everyone had a good feeling that if that had happened, Mack was set to retire and leave the keys to Muschamp.  

I don't think win is even the right word here. Before colt went down Alabama was lost. They were completely getting blasted, their fans were so deflated because they knew there was a 0% chance of winning. 

Colt getting a freak injury doesn't take the championship away from Alabama, but they were going to get blown out. 

Mack would have been a legend retiring after that game and handing the keys to muschamp, from muschamp coaching resume since then I think it's safe to say anyone that took over from Mack was going to have a bad time, just not charlie fucking strong levels of bad time. I think muschamp would have been hermanesque at best. 

That tells you everything you need to know about the man's legacy. He didn't know when to hang it up to undoubtedly cement his legacy for Texas and it cost him everything. 2005 was VYs MNC not Mack Browns. He doesn't get to be around the program any more. He doesn't rub elbows with the BoR or BMD. He's a fucking nobody, cast off to a UNC school that plays patty cake every weekend but 3 so he can feel good about 8 win seasons as his butter teeth slowly melt away.

Mack Brown Mr. Fuck You Pay Me

On 4/7/2018 at 8:02 AM, 52-80 said:

2nd best winning record (w sufficient sample size) for one of the biggest football programs in history....

During my time on campus, Texas won 10+ games, was in national championship contention every year, racking up 2 straight legendary-BCS-games, culminating with the crystal trophy.

How many fans have had that experience?

For that, they should erect a statue of him outside the stadium, as far as I'm concerned.

What a horrible take. All of that is true through 2009 and you would have been right. What he did after that is what destroyed everything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Including Muschamp, who apparently had been told by Mack that his HCIW title was about to bear fruit, and that he, Mack, was planning to step down after hoisting the Crystal Ball. After McCoy went down, and next year's QB, Squints Gilbert, couldn't find his helmet or his receivers. I don't blame Gilbert, because Mack blew off his real backup QB, junior Sherrod Harris in favor of the Gatorade HS POY, but only gave him an end-game, run-the-clock  playbook. Nuschamp's D held Bama scoreless for the second half, until desperation plays in the last minutes resulted in Bama scoring twice more.

After the game, Mack apparently told Muschamp that he wasn't leaving the HC position after all. Boom was not happy, accusing Mack of lying to him, but the silver-tongued used car salesman informed him that he did not lie... he was planning to leave, but his plans had changed. Boom may or may not have been able to keep things rolling for us if he'd taken over right then and there. Yeah, yeah, I know... Fla, SC and all, but consider that Boom almost certainly would have immediately fired GDGD (which he did accomplish later), and he was on record as wanting Holgo the Barbarian as his new OC, which I believe was exactly what should have happeneed, but Mack put his silver tongue in action to prevent Holgorsen from being brought aboard.

The bbottom line, for me and I believe for the majority if Surlies, is that Mack fell apart after Vince, was extremely lax in recruiting, and had nothing more in his mind than hanging on for a few more years and supplanting the record of DKR. 

When it finally became obvious that Mack had passed his expiration date, he shit all over the program on his way out the door. The same morons in the AD, Admin, and Big Dogs' kennel who had bowed to Mack when he begged for "thrree years to turn things around" - problems which he'd just spent the previous few years creating - gave him those three years. And he failed to change a damn thing. Muschamp left and without his D, Mack was only able to reach 8-5 type years instead of the 10-3 ones.

Mack Brown was, and is, a Good Coach. He has never been a Great Coach.

Fuck you, pay me, indeed. 

Naaah. Fuck Mack Brown. Sideways. With a rusty fireplace poker.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, immamac said:

2005 was VYs MNC not Mack Browns.

Come on dude, don't do this.  I'm not invalidating your other points, but you can't just take away the 2005 NC from Mack Brown's resume.  Yes, VY was instrumental in winning the title.  Brown recruited him.  Brown chose to let him play quarterback.  Brown and Davis chose to redesign their entire offense around this generational talent and took the shackles off to let Vince be Vince.  That resulted in a national title.  Vince won it sure, but his coaches enabled him to win it.

Compare with Vince's stint in the NFL where Fisher had Vince permanently shackled and refuse to ever let Vince be Vince.  To this day, I think Vince would have won a Super Bowl if he had a coach who actually understood how to use him.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

Come on dude, don't do this.  I'm not invalidating your other points, but you can't just take away the 2005 NC from Mack Brown's resume.  Yes, VY was instrumental in winning the title.  Brown recruited him.  Brown chose to let him play quarterback.  Brown and Davis chose to redesign their entire offense around this generational talent and took the shackles off to let Vince be Vince.  That resulted in a national title.  Vince won it sure, but his coaches enabled him to win it.

Compare with Vince's stint in the NFL where Fisher had Vince permanently shackled and refuse to ever let Vince be Vince.  To this day, I think Vince would have won a Super Bowl if he had a coach who actually understood how to use him.

History is written by the winners. Mack Brown is not a winner. 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

25 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

eh, Mack is that ex where you had some good times for sure, but what you really remember how she burned the house down on the way out.  I'll give Mack some credit for 2005, mostly for recruiting (not just Vince but that whole team was fucking stacked).  Game day coaching was never Mack's thing anyway so it's not like he was some X's and O's genius who out schemed USC.  He also made demonstrably bad hires in his assistants, was waaaay too loyal to GDGD.  "Getting out of Vince's way" is the bare-fucking-minimum for a generational talent like that.  Sorry, you don't get extra credit for that.

If Mack had left after the 2009 loss, he would have a completely different reputation in the Texas fanbase.  He'd be venerated, people would have wished for him to stay, he might have that statue someday.  Instead he's the guy who couldn't take the loss, then got lazy and complacent, cratered the program's recruiting and put us back into the wilderness that we're still trying to get out of.  He didn't do it alone, Deloss and the BMDs helped but he did his part to fuck us hard.  His shit talking us after the fact and on the way out hasn't helped either, he's acted petty and jilted.  So fuck him.

It is still hilarious to read our fans take on the 2010 title game. Bama wasn’t exactly getting “blasted” yet, they had one drive that ended in a stupid fake punt that Gideon stupidly picked off on the sideline. We had 2 chunk plays before colt went down. If he never gets hurt we probably win, but it wasn’t going to be some epic beat down. We still had Mack, GD, and a weak oline still sore from getting assfucked by Suh a few weeks prior. Saban & Bama would’ve settled in at some point. I think we would’ve won by 7-10 points or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Oh come on. He’s the second winningest coach in the history of the University of Texas. He has a national championship. He’s in the college football hall of fame.

You’re an aggy who runs a Texas fan site. What do you know about winning?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

we havent recovered because nobody has been as good.  Mac is a top 5 coach of the 2000's. we havnt had anyone since that can sniff his jock.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

It is still hilarious to read our fans take on the 2010 title game. Bama wasn’t exactly getting “blasted” yet, they had one drive that ended in a stupid fake punt that Gideon stupidly picked off on the sideline. We had 2 chunk plays before colt went down. If he never gets hurt we probably win, but it wasn’t going to be some epic beat down. We still had Mack, GD, and a weak oline still sore from getting assfucked by Suh a few weeks prior. Saban & Bama would’ve settled in at some point. I think we would’ve won by 7-10 points or so.

lolno

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Nah, it wouldn't have been close.  The score was 6-0 at this point in the game, following the plays you mentioned.  These plays included the Colt injury (on the Bama 11 yard line), 4 failed attempts at gaining 1 yard from the Alabama 1 yard line, and a kickoff recovery that started us on the Alabama 30.  If Colt had played the whole game, it would have been 14-0 at this point.  The offense stalled hard and suddenly when Colt exited the game.  Gilbert was having to settle for field goals (in part due to a limited playbook for a green freshman quarterback, and Alabama now being able to sell out to stop the run), whereas Colt would have made sure we got into the end zone each time.  Colt was totally in the zone that evening and he had Bama figured out.  

I had friends who were trainers on the team during this time and they were with Colt in the locker room following his injury.  When he learned that he would not be able to play again, he was devastated.  He had a sort of breakdown, speaking and thinking out loud to himself, in earshot of everybody, about how he had spent the past month studying, living, and breathing Alabama football film; about how the game that night had slowed down for him; and about how he could see what the Alabama defense was doing before they did it.  Our guy had gone Matrix mode, but he didn't get his chance to really show it.  All we have is his opening drive, where he carved up Bama effortlessly and drove us right down inside the red zone before the watershed moment of Texas football this century occurred. 

I still blame Gideon here.  If he just knocks the ball down on the fake punt instead of stupidly intercepting it, Colt would've started 20 yards closer (already in Bama's red zone) and the specific play we ran where he was injured would not have been called.

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

Winning a game by 7-10 points feels like blasting somebody these days.

No doubt in my mind we win that one if Colt doesnt go down. Keep in mind that was far from Bama's best championship team, and Saban hadnt really been introduced to Big12 ball at that point in time. Their defense was built to stop the run and rush the passer...not actually defend against a good QB who could dump the ball to an open reciever less than 3 seconds after the snap.
  • Like 1

OU blowouts:  I could probably have dealt with these if Mack had filled in the blanks a little better during his time here.  Of course, if he had filled in the blanks, the OU losses would probably not have been blow outs.  What I mean by filling the blanks is picking up those games that I think Texas should have won along the way that despite whatever we did with OU.  Such as:

1998 @ Tech.  Loss costs Texas the B12 South title, which aggy won.

1999 NC State: Inexplicable Special teams gaffs.  Made no difference by the end of the season which ended with  3 straight losses.  Still 10 wins v. 9.

2000  Stanford and then Oregon in the Bowl game: 1st OU blowout.

2001 OU:  Not sure if a win was for certain, but a lot of this loss was on coaching.

2001 Colorado:  Been covered.  Costs Texas appearance in MNC champ game and B12

2002: @ Tech:  Costs Texas B12 South again, despite OU loss.

2003 Washington State (#15): Loss knocks Texas out of a certain top 5 finish. Mack was on thin ice here with me as Texas seemed to be stuck in a 2-3 loss pattern. 

2004: Kind of a repeat of the 2001 OU loss.  The same but different.  Mack never learns.

2006 @ K-State: Loss Costs Texas B12 South Title.

2006 aggy: Loss also costs Texas B12 South Title.

2008 @ Tech: Loss costs Texas B12 South Tittle, B12 Title, Shot at MNC.

Win four of those games and one of either 2006 K state or aggy, keep Colt Upright against Bama and you are looking at a whole different resume.   I would say reasonably.

2-2 In MNCs.

and 3 more B12 Championships plus some better rankings along with another B12 south crown.

Ifs and buts and all that, but the thing with those losses is that there were some repeating themes and a whole lot of close games that were victories that should not have been all that close.  Fans blame Davis or the DCs over the years, but there just seemed to be an unreadyness to play sometimes with Mack's teams and it would cost them dearly.

Throw in the OU blowouts and the 2010-2013 seasons and you have a coaching legacy narrative that is in question.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:51 AM, immamac said:

I don't think win is even the right word here. Before colt went down Alabama was lost. They were completely getting blasted, their fans were so deflated because they knew there was a 0% chance of winning. 

Colt getting a freak injury doesn't take the championship away from Alabama, but they were going to get blown out. 

Mack would have been a legend retiring after that game and handing the keys to muschamp, from muschamp coaching resume since then I think it's safe to say anyone that took over from Mack was going to have a bad time, just not charlie fucking strong levels of bad time. I think muschamp would have been hermanesque at best. 

That tells you everything you need to know about the man's legacy. He didn't know when to hang it up to undoubtedly cement his legacy for Texas and it cost him everything. 2005 was VYs MNC not Mack Browns. He doesn't get to be around the program any more. He doesn't rub elbows with the BoR or BMD. He's a fucking nobody, cast off to a UNC school that plays patty cake every weekend but 3 so he can feel good about 8 win seasons as his butter teeth slowly melt away.

Mack Brown Mr. Fuck You Pay Me

What a horrible take. All of that is true through 2009 and you would have been right. What he did after that is what destroyed everything. 

In fairness to Mack, its really hard to do what Nick Saban does and NOT get complacent.  The whole coaching staff got complacent on recruiting after 2005.  And then they had really good years the next 4 years, not giving them that incentive to pick it up.  By that time, the talent was depleted and just wasn't top 10 caliber, regardless of what the recruiting rankings said.  And the offense was too dependent on the QB.  Gilbert didn't have "it" and Ash had concussions.  So we were left with someone recruited to be a taxi squad QB-Case McCoy.  We were mediocre and then we hired a truly lazy and stupid coach and got worse.

• Like 1

OU blowouts:  I could probably have dealt with these if Mack had filled in the blanks a little better during his time here.  Of course, if he had filled in the blanks, the OU losses would probably not have been blow outs.  What I mean by filling the blanks is picking up those games that I think Texas should have won along the way that despite whatever we did with OU.  Such as:
1998 @ Tech.  Loss costs Texas the B12 South title, which aggy won.
1999 NC State: Inexplicable Special teams gaffs.  Made no difference by the end of the season which ended with  3 straight losses.  Still 10 wins v. 9.
2000  Stanford and then Oregon in the Bowl game: 1st OU blowout.
2001 OU:  Not sure if a win was for certain, but a lot of this loss was on coaching.
2001 Colorado:  Been covered.  Costs Texas appearance in MNC champ game and B12
2002: @ Tech:  Costs Texas B12 South again, despite OU loss.
2003 Washington State (#15): Loss knocks Texas out of a certain top 5 finish. Mack was on thin ice here with me as Texas seemed to be stuck in a 2-3 loss pattern. 
2004: Kind of a repeat of the 2001 OU loss.  The same but different.  Mack never learns.
2006 @ K-State: Loss Costs Texas B12 South Title.
2006 aggy: Loss also costs Texas B12 South Title.
2008 @ Tech: Loss costs Texas B12 South Tittle, B12 Title, Shot at MNC.
Win four of those games and one of either 2006 K state or aggy, keep Colt Upright against Bama and you are looking at a whole different resume.   I would say reasonably.
2-2 In MNCs.
and 3 more B12 Championships plus some better rankings along with another B12 south crown.
Ifs and buts and all that, but the thing with those losses is that there were some repeating themes and a whole lot of close games that were victories that should not have been all that close.  Fans blame Davis or the DCs over the years, but there just seemed to be an unreadyness to play sometimes with Mack's teams and it would cost them dearly.
Throw in the OU blowouts and the 2010-2013 seasons and you have a coaching legacy narrative that is in question.

The 2000 bowl game against Oregon is on absolutely no one but the receivers who kept dropping end zone passes at the end of the 4th quarter.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, YeeYeeCTE said:

The 2000 bowl game against Oregon is on absolutely no one but the receivers who kept dropping end zone passes at the end of the 4th quarter.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I guess they were not ready to play.  I remember that game and although Oregon was a good team (ranked higher than Texas), that win would have put Texas in the top 10 and gotten some positive momentum indicative of a program on the rise to big time football.  As it was and at the time it seemed like the 99 and 00 seasons were a step back from 98.  Not the worst loss and no huge implications, but a big disappointment considering how Texas rebounded after OU and how winnable the game was. 

8 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I guess they were not ready to play.  I remember that game and although Oregon was a good team (ranked higher than Texas), that win would have put Texas in the top 10 and gotten some positive momentum indicative of a program on the rise to big time football.  As it was and at the time it seemed like the 99 and 00 seasons were a step back from 98.  Not the worst loss and no huge implications, but a big disappointment considering how Texas rebounded after OU and how winnable the game was. 

Just watched that 2nd to last drive.  I remember those catches being more difficult.  Those were some bad drops. 2 on BJ and one on Williams .