PlayStation Vue Shutting Down Service Jan 30th, 2020

LTtxfan

I just switched from almost 3 years with PSVue to YouTube TV.  I was really happy with PSVue but when I heard they were killing it, I decided to check out the YouTube TV free trial (after some research) as more of a what the fuck than anything.  Happy to report it’s way better than PSVue.  Better overall functionality and WAAAAAY better DVR.  Plus it’s a little cheaper.

As for channels, it doesn’t have LHN which I decided I could live without, at least for now, since all I ever really watched on it were the 1-2 crappy football games a year. I can cross that bridge next football season.  Other than that, if they’re missing any channels, it must not be a channel I watched because I haven’t seen anything missing.

To my knowledge, AT&T is the only other one that has LHN but from everything I’ve heard, their interface and DVR sucks.

Added bonus, PSVue didn’t have Judge Judy.  It had her channel and she was listed on the program guide, but for whatever reason, she was blacked out.  YouTube TV has her!

Took about 10 minutes of learning curve to figure out the very intuitive change in functionality.  Even the not so tech savvy wife picked it up very quickly and thinks it’s better.  So, went ahead and canceled PSVue.  Wish I’d done it a long time ago.

And agree a big part of what killed PSVue had to be their name.  Needed to change that shit to Vue TV or something.  I’m sure there was a conflict there as most likely certain departments of the company wanted people thinking you needed a PlayStation for it.

tl;dr - switched to YouTube TV, glad I did

On 11/2/2019 at 3:51 PM, Landomatic said:

I just switched from almost 3 years with PSVue to YouTube TV.  I was really happy with PSVue but when I heard they were killing it, I decided to check out the YouTube TV free trial (after some research) as more of a what the fuck than anything.  Happy to report it’s way better than PSVue.  Better overall functionality and WAAAAAY better DVR.  Plus it’s a little cheaper.

As for channels, it doesn’t have LHN which I decided I could live without, at least for now, since all I ever really watched on it were the 1-2 crappy football games a year. I can cross that bridge next football season.  Other than that, if they’re missing any channels, it must not be a channel I watched because I haven’t seen anything missing.

To my knowledge, AT&T is the only other one that has LHN but from everything I’ve heard, their interface and DVR sucks.

Added bonus, PSVue didn’t have Judge Judy.  It had her channel and she was listed on the program guide, but for whatever reason, she was blacked out.  YouTube TV has her!

Took about 10 minutes of learning curve to figure out the very intuitive change in functionality.  Even the not so tech savvy wife picked it up very quickly and thinks it’s better.  So, went ahead and canceled PSVue.  Wish I’d done it a long time ago.

And agree a big part of what killed PSVue had to be their name.  Needed to change that shit to Vue TV or something.  I’m sure there was a conflict there as most likely certain departments of the company wanted people thinking you needed a PlayStation for it.

tl;dr - switched to YouTube TV, glad I did

Thx for info...

Still bummed PSVue is going away.... 😠

On 10/30/2019 at 11:24 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

You Tube TV is fairly close to what you want. Find a relative or friend with direct tv and throw them 50/yr for their access for ESPN app/LHN. 

The relative or friend have to get LHN in their cable package for this to work right??

Assuming they have LHN, what's involved in getting their access and does it matter if you are in a different city in Texas??

Generally, if they have LHN or most of the ESPN package, their logon email and pw for their cable provider will permit full access to espn through the watchespn.com website or the espn app.

The ideal process is to have them create an email from their cable provider, LTtxfan@fuckyoupayme.com, for example, and password and give it to you, which should permit you to login to the website/app and cast or stream LHN.

You may have to use their email, as secondary emails may not work.

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2019 at 9:17 AM, msudawg said:

What options are you specifically looking for. 

Go here.. and select what channels you want and see what you can get. 

https://www.suppose.tv/tv

this blows.   this site is awesome but there is no one streamer that has everything i want.  except playstation vue

i might have to go back to directv

Using YouTube TV now for a couple weeks.  I think it's still probably better than PSVue overall, but I have run across some things I really don't like...

1. When you pause the screen, it shadows everything out so you can't really see it.  PSV would let you exit out of that while keeping it paused.  I can't get YTTV to do that.  I often pause because I want to read something long or study something in more detail.  This makes that pretty much impossible.  Kind of sucks but more annoying than anything.
  2. There are no program descriptions at all.  Just the name of the show and the name of the episode (which is worthless).  This sucks when picking certain shows.  For example, something like a Dateline or 20/20.  I'd like to know a little what the episode is about to see if it's anything I'm interested in.  Without it, the only way to really find out is to sit through the intro, but by then, I feel like I've seen the whole damn thing.  That sucks.
  3. There are far more commercials on YTTV than PSV.  Seems like a ton of shows make the recorded version "unavailable" after it airs and force you to watch the on demand version, which has all the commercials yellowed out so you can't forward through them.  That really sucks!
  • Like 1

Just got my email from att tv about rate hike. I’m on the grandfathered go big package, and it’s going from 50 to 60 (was 40 when I first signed up) so now it will cost more than YouTube. 

but it has lhn. And I don’t feel like finding another source for lhn. 

Yttv carries all the espn/abc channels except lhn. That should have been thrown in for free during negotiations. 

On 10/30/2019 at 11:24 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

You Tube TV is fairly close to what you want. Find a relative or friend with direct tv and throw them 50/yr for their access for ESPN app/LHN. 

I do something that is not really all that different. We have a vacation cabin with Dish Network’s Dish Outdoors service. DO is mainly used by people who have travel trailers or RVs, and you turn it on and off as needed and you only pay for the days it’s activated. 

I activate our cabin service when there are games I want to watch on LHN via the ESPN app, then deactivate it when I’m tired of Lowell Galindo. It costs me less than $50/year for those days.

I’m thinking about switching from Hulu Live TV  to Philo ($20 a month). They have a good channel lineup, but no sports networks or local channels. I don’t watch much “cable” sports except for occasional games. For those, I can use Dish Outdoors. I have Locast for local tv, and it’s pretty slick (but no dvr).

I’m not sure if the Philo dvr is good. I switched from Hulu TV to PSV for a while (for LHN), but I switched back because I didn’t like PSV’s dvr  

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

You can stream any lhn game on reddit streams.  All you need is a laptop or phone/tablet and the right cable to connect to your tv.   Its super easy and high quality.  If you only watch the lhn for a handful of games, I wouldn’t sweat losing the channel.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:09 AM, BoomMF said:

It's a shame if you're a Longhorn sports fan and only watch LHN for a few football games. You're missing out on some cool content.

I will agree with that... even as a casual "fan" per say.. I enjoy watching the baseball games and sometimes some of the interesting documentaries. Minus when they recap the 98 cotton bowl... 

On 11/8/2019 at 9:19 AM, Landomatic said:

Using YouTube TV now for a couple weeks.  I think it's still probably better than PSVue overall, but I have run across some things I really don't like...

1. When you pause the screen, it shadows everything out so you can't really see it.  PSV would let you exit out of that while keeping it paused.  I can't get YTTV to do that.  I often pause because I want to read something long or study something in more detail.  This makes that pretty much impossible.  Kind of sucks but more annoying than anything.
  2. There are no program descriptions at all.  Just the name of the show and the name of the episode (which is worthless).  This sucks when picking certain shows.  For example, something like a Dateline or 20/20.  I'd like to know a little what the episode is about to see if it's anything I'm interested in.  Without it, the only way to really find out is to sit through the intro, but by then, I feel like I've seen the whole damn thing.  That sucks.
  3. There are far more commercials on YTTV than PSV.  Seems like a ton of shows make the recorded version "unavailable" after it airs and force you to watch the on demand version, which has all the commercials yellowed out so you can't forward through them.  That really sucks!

1. That SUCKS. I do that all the time....when you rewind, what's the default time? the 10 second period i hated on vue. 

2. that really sucks also, will have to google episode 2 x 07 to figure out shit is now. 

3. I read about that... the vast majority is on demand really quickly... and thus no skipping commercials.....I hate... commercials.... 

8 hours ago, msudawg said:

1. That SUCKS. I do that all the time....when you rewind, what's the default time? the 10 second period i hated on vue. 

2. that really sucks also, will have to google episode 2 x 07 to figure out shit is now. 

3. I read about that... the vast majority is on demand really quickly... and thus no skipping commercials.....I hate... commercials.... 

1)  This has been fixed.  When paused, all you have to do is click the the back button once (using Amazon FireTV) and the overlay goes away.  Maybe that functionality has been there the whole time, but I think I would have noticed if it had.  Pretty sure that's a recent fix by YouTube TV.

2)  Still no solution for this that I can find for this, which sucks.

3)  No doubt this is a big thing compared to PS Vue.  It's not all networks (or shows or whatever drives it), but it seems to be the case more often than not, at least on the shows we watch.  It's to the point that we're forgoing watching a lot of shows we used to watch when we see that they are on demand only (thereby forcing you to watch commercials) and a ton of them are forcing that within what feels like about 24 hours.  Almost defeats the purpose of a DVR if you ask me, as the whole point of being able to record shows is to stockpile them and be able to watch it several days or weeks later.  Maybe that's how YouTube TV is able to make the numbers work as compared to PS Vue, which apparently couldn't make the numbers work.  Either way, it's a fucking beating and a huge change from DirecTV and PS Vue.

I think overall, with the much better functionality, better DVR and slightly better price, YouTube TV is still a little better than PS Vue.  But numbers 2 and 3 above (especially number 3) make it a lot tighter race than I had originally thought.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

1)  This has been fixed.  When paused, all you have to do is click the the back button once (using Amazon FireTV) and the overlay goes away.  Maybe that functionality has been there the whole time, but I think I would have noticed if it had.  Pretty sure that's a recent fix by YouTube TV.

2)  Still no solution for this that I can find for this, which sucks.

3)  No doubt this is a big thing compared to PS Vue.  It's not all networks (or shows or whatever drives it), but it seems to be the case more often than not, at least on the shows we watch.  It's to the point that we're forgoing watching a lot of shows we used to watch when we see that they are on demand only (thereby forcing you to watch commercials) and a ton of them are forcing that within what feels like about 24 hours.  Almost defeats the purpose of a DVR if you ask me, as the whole point of being able to record shows is to stockpile them and be able to watch it several days or weeks later.  Maybe that's how YouTube TV is able to make the numbers work as compared to PS Vue, which apparently couldn't make the numbers work.  Either way, it's a fucking beating and a huge change from DirecTV and PS Vue.

I think overall, with the much better functionality, better DVR and slightly better price, YouTube TV is still a little better than PS Vue.  But numbers 2 and 3 above (especially number 3) make it a lot tighter race than I had originally thought.

Thanks for the info on 1. as mentioned, I'm all the time pausing a scene to look at things in the background or writing on a paper that flys by fast.. to see the jokes the producers put in. 

2 - I just found this on reddit.. sure it doesn't fix the issue directly but I will keep this tab open on my phone or maybe keep a tablet by the couch with it open now.

https://streamingtvguides.com/YouTube-TV/Guide

3 - Seems YTTV made a change about a year ago and you should be able to select the DVR version of shows  on all the following shows

The full list of channels that now support playback choice are as follows: AMC, BBC America, SundanceTV, IFC, WE tv, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, SEC Network, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Freeform, FOX, FX, FXX, FXM, Fox News, Fox Business Network, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, Big Ten Network, Fox RSNs, NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, Golf Channel, Olympics Channel, MSNBC, Syfy, USA Network, Bravo, E!, Oxygen, Universal Kids, Comcast RSNs, Universo, Telemundo, CNN, HLN, TNT, TBS, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, and TruTV.

The key is though, you have to have recorded the shows. if you signup for YTTV and say you want to binge watch a show or older than current episodes. they will all be OD only. 

Is this what you have experienced?

1 hour ago, msudawg said:

Thanks for the info on 1. as mentioned, I'm all the time pausing a scene to look at things in the background or writing on a paper that flys by fast.. to see the jokes the producers put in. 

2 - I just found this on reddit.. sure it doesn't fix the issue directly but I will keep this tab open on my phone or maybe keep a tablet by the couch with it open now.

https://streamingtvguides.com/YouTube-TV/Guide

3 - Seems YTTV made a change about a year ago and you should be able to select the DVR version of shows  on all the following shows

The full list of channels that now support playback choice are as follows: AMC, BBC America, SundanceTV, IFC, WE tv, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews, SEC Network, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Freeform, FOX, FX, FXX, FXM, Fox News, Fox Business Network, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, Big Ten Network, Fox RSNs, NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, Golf Channel, Olympics Channel, MSNBC, Syfy, USA Network, Bravo, E!, Oxygen, Universal Kids, Comcast RSNs, Universo, Telemundo, CNN, HLN, TNT, TBS, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, and TruTV.

The key is though, you have to have recorded the shows. if you signup for YTTV and say you want to binge watch a show or older than current episodes. they will all be OD only. 

Is this what you have experienced?

2)  That's a good resource for live TV.  I rarely watch live TV though and so still need a solution for shows in the DVR.

3)  Quick check through a few of the shows I watch, that list might be accurate.  Looks to be about 50 out of 70 which doesn't seem too bad.  Apparently I watch a quite a few shows on the 20 that aren't on that list though.  And yeah, I'm talking about just the ones that I'm recording.

26 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

So what’s the go to if having LHN is a requirement? Being able to watch all homr baseball games if I can’t make it to the Disch has been a life saver in recent years

To my knowledge, AT&T Now (or whatever they’re calling it these days) is the only one that has LHN.  And my understanding is it’s pretty shitty at pretty much everything else.

16 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Well fuck. So with YTTV I could conceivably still stream the games but it would only be the games not the rest of the LHN content?

I myself very rarely am on the att tv app to watch anything. I mostly use the apps for the specific channels, that I use my att tv credentials to gain access. 

biggest drawback is using on demand instead of dvring content, but the dvr is rubbish. 

YTTV: For the channels that do replace recorded shows with on-demand versions...as long as you start watching your recorded version before it gets replaced you can still access it if you do it in one session.  Not great but better than having to deal with commercials.  What I mean is that lets say you have a show that runs 7-9p.  As long as you start watching it before 9p and finish it in one sitting, you can fast forward normally.  We did this for CBS BIP.

43 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Don't discount Watch Espn App for LHN.  

It's been posted that LHN won't work on WatchESPN unless your provider has LHN like AT&T Now.

For example if you get YouTube TV which does not have LHN, you can sign on to WatchESPN using YTTV access but won't get LHN...

24 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Not 100% sure.  PS Vue does not have an agreement with Watch Espn.  It did allow me to search for 'Rewind with Tom Herman'  I want to say in the past, it would let you stream live content.  Don't take that as a guarantee.

I've had PSVue for over 2yrs and sign on to WatchESPN using PSVue access all the time.  I have the midlevel PSVue membership that includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews and FS1/FS2 channels...

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I've had PSVue for over 2yrs and sign on to WatchESPN using PSVue access all the time.  I have the midlevel PSVue membership that includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews and FS1/FS2 channels...

Yeah but PSVue also has LHN so that’s why your credentials work on WatchESPN app.  YouTubeTV does not have LSN so your credentials won’t work.  I just checked it to be sure and it tells me I don't have access when trying to play LHN.

Edited by Landomatic
Checked it

23 hours ago, Hozz said:

YTTV: For the channels that do replace recorded shows with on-demand versions...as long as you start watching your recorded version before it gets replaced you can still access it if you do it in one session.  Not great but better than having to deal with commercials.  What I mean is that lets say you have a show that runs 7-9p.  As long as you start watching it before 9p and finish it in one sitting, you can fast forward normally.  We did this for CBS BIP.

CBS always replaces with ON Demand and doesn't allow you to fast forward

https://www.techhive.com/article/3310937/youtube-tv-lifts-dvr-ad-skipping-restrictions.html

The only catch? A handful of channels don't support this feature, including CBS, CBS Sports Network, and The CW.

Yeah but they don't replace your recording with their on demand until after its done airing live.  And as long as you started watching what you are recording before it ended, you have a buffered live stream until you turn it off or it times out.  So you can fast forward.  We did this weekly for the various Bachelor shows.

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

Yeah but they don't replace your recording with their on demand until after its done airing live.  And as long as you started watching what you are recording before it ended, you have a buffered live stream until you turn it off or it times out.  So you can fast forward.  We did this weekly for the various Bachelor shows.

Well, I guess that’s kind of a solution.  But not really.  So, for a 1 hour show, you’ve got a 59 minute cushion to get in there and get it started to be able to watch it sometime before clicking off?  That’s hardly DVR.  I watch about 100% of my shit days, weeks or months after it originally airs.  And I rarely know, with a couple exceptions, what day most of it originally airs to begin with.  Better than being forced to watch live?  Sure.  But only by like :30 to a couple hours.  Pretty much the same as live TV but instead of “Hey honey the Bachelor’s on at 8:00 tonight” it takes it to “Hey honey the Bachelor’s on sometime after 8:00 tonight.

Edited by Landomatic

21 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Well, I guess that’s kind of a solution.  But not really.  So, for a 1 hour show, you’ve got a 59 minute cushion to get in there and get it started to be able to watch it sometime before clicking off?  That’s hardly DVR.  I watch about 100% of my shit days, weeks or months after it originally airs.  And I rarely know, with a couple exceptions, what day most of it originally airs to begin with.  Better than being forced to watch live?  Sure.  But only by like :30 to a couple hours.  Pretty much the same as live TV but instead of “Hey honey the Bachelor’s on at 8:00 tonight” it takes it to “Hey honey the Bachelor’s on sometime after 8:00 tonight.

Yeah that is exactly right.  Worked very well for us, especially with a 2 hour show like those often are.  And I agree its not the same as having it in the cloud and being able to watch at your leisure some time in the next 6 months while skipping forward at will, it beats having to watch ads over the course of a 2 hour show.  For the ones we missed (or fucked up by stopping after the live show had ended), we just never watched those episodes again.

On 11/9/2019 at 4:21 AM, kevwun said:

You can stream any lhn game on reddit streams.  All you need is a laptop or phone/tablet and the right cable to connect to your tv.   Its super easy and high quality.  If you only watch the lhn for a handful of games, I wouldn’t sweat losing the channel.

LHN Baseball games also? Never tried streaming off reddit.  Hell I don’t even know how to use reddit. Lol

On 11/8/2019 at 9:19 AM, Landomatic said:

1. If using Roku press the up arrow and it will be a normal pause screen 

2. It's a pain in the ass to get to but it's there. I just looked up when the Born Identity was on AMC last night. I can't remember how I got there but I know it has the full info on most shows (will look tonight and report back tomorrow)

3. This is BY FAR my biggest and really only complaint with the service. It's a Viacom problem, any Viacom channel forces you to watch On demand if you don't want it or start it when it airs. I would pay $20 more like you can with Hulu to get rid of that shit and also allow me to stop hearing my wife bitch about it. 

On 11/9/2019 at 6:21 AM, kevwun said:

but the football is not

Ok I can’t find any streaming service that has everything that PS Vue has and I’m not happy. I expect one of you to find me a viable solution before Vue goes away or hell will be coming your way and I’ll be coming with with it.

I require the LHN and a great sports package like Vue. I don’t want a bunch of damn cable boxes again. Why can’t we just have nice things?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

Ok I can’t find any streaming service that has everything that PS Vue has and I’m not happy. I expect one of you to find me a viable solution before Vue goes away or hell will be coming your way and I’ll be coming with with it.

I require the LHN and a great sports package like Vue. I don’t want a bunch of damn cable boxes again. Why can’t we just have nice things?

I think your best bet is YouTube TV for $50 a month with ESPN Plus for $5 a month.  I think that's still cheaper than what PSVue was.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It doesn't.

If you buy it as a stand-alone it doesn't?  I just went and checked it out the other day and used my login credentials from YouTube TV.  LHN was there, but I just couldn't access it.  I assumed it was because YTTV doesn't have LHN, therefor my login credentials couldn't access it.  What's it there for then if nobody can access it?  Or what do you have to do to access it?

Just now, Landomatic said:

If you buy it as a stand-alone it doesn't?  I just went and checked it out the other day and used my login credentials from YouTube TV.  LHN was there, but I just couldn't access it.  I assumed it was because YTTV doesn't have LHN, therefor my login credentials couldn't access it.  What's it there for then if nobody can access it?  Or what do you have to do to access it?

You have to have a login with service that has LHN (Direct TV for example) in order to access it.   

21 minutes ago, Skipper said:

You have to have a login with service that has LHN (Direct TV for example) in order to access it.   

Well, that's crap.  You'd think it would at least come with the thing you're buying directly from ESPN.

So, the answer to @Mileslong's question is ATT Now is the only solution.

I just can't see how LHN is worth enough to make the rest of my TV watching experience suck (which I've heard ATT Now does).  I mostly just watch the 1-2 crappy football games on it per year and I figure I'll gladly forgo that for the rest of the year not sucking.  I can cross that bridge when I get to it (go to a sports bar or something).  Besides, by then, there will undoubtedly be another solution.

Edited by Landomatic
Used to be DirectTV Now
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Well, that's crap.  You'd think it would at least come with the thing you're buying directly from ESPN.

So, the answer to @Mileslong's question is ATT Now is the only solution.

I just can't see how LHN is worth enough to make the rest of my TV watching experience suck (which I've heard ATT Now does).  I mostly just watch the 1-2 crappy football games on it per year and I figure I'll gladly forgo that for the rest of the year not sucking.  I can cross that bridge when I get to it (go to a sports bar or something).  Besides, by then, there will undoubtedly be another solution.

This is where I'm at and have stuck with YTTV.  Although I kind of question whether there will be another solution.   I don't think ESPN cares enough about LHN to prioritize pushing it on other platforms and I wonder if part of the agreement with ATT Now (or anyone else) is that ESPN won't offer it as a stand alone product.   Who knows but you would think if there weren't some contractual agreement in place that it would already be on ESPN+ (or you could order it as an add on).