PlayStation Vue Shutting Down Service Jan 30th, 2020

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is where I'm at and have stuck with YTTV.  Although I kind of question whether there will be another solution.   I don't think ESPN cares enough about LHN to prioritize pushing it on other platforms and I wonder if part of the agreement with ATT Now (or anyone else) is that ESPN won't offer it as a stand alone product.   Who knows but you would think if there weren't some contractual agreement in place that it would already be on ESPN+ (or you could order it as an add on).

Yeah, that all makes the complete sense.  There must be some kind of non-compete agreement in place between ESPN and AT&T.  And I agree, I don't see ESPN putting a dime more than they have to into LHN from here on.  ATT&T backend money deal is probably enough to somewhat slow the bleeding for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok look. My professional life is full of making decisions so I’m to the point I don’t want to make decisions in my personal life anymore.

I don’t want to pick healthcare programs, or energy companies or home and car insurance carriers etc etc so I either hire or beg people to do it for me.

I know listening to horn fans, shaggy, surly advice will usually either land you in jail or alone in this world but would some of you please just pick a got damn service for me to use when PlayStation Vue ends? Something with similar content?

My only stipulation is that I don’t want cable again, there is a monopoly in my area and I refuse to go back to those assholes, on principle, who wouldn’t give a penny discount even after five years with them.

Cost doesn’t matter I just want quality content and quality of picture (no reddit streaming stuff )

I need the LHN so that may rule out YouTube TV and ATT.

Is sling box my only real option at this point? Does sling box require any special equipment like its own receiver etc?

I have both Apple TV and Chromecast and an iPhone and IMac if that matters

Thank you I’m advance for your non smart ass responses...my future happiness is in your hands.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
How do you get local channels with Sling?  We'll need that for live sports. It seems you need an antenna and switch between inputs? PITA.

I would also like to know this.

After checking their website, ATT says I can’t get their streaming service at my home location. Does that make any sense?

• 3 weeks later...

So I bought YouTube TV today and was going to add SlingTV so I can have the Longhorn network. You have to have the Orange package and add the Sports Package to get it, those combined are $35. The Blue package gives you the NFL network for same price but you can’t get the Longhorn network with it!

You would have to add the Blue-Orange network for $35 and another $10 for sports package to get both. For a total of $95 combined services to get what I had with PSvue and that’s about what I was paying for cable previously. Grrrrrr

57 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

So I bought YouTube TV today and was going to add SlingTV so I can have the Longhorn network. You have to have the Orange package and add the Sports Package to get it, those combined are $35. The Blue package gives you the NFL network for same price but you can’t get the Longhorn network with it!

You would have to add the Blue-Orange network for $35 and another $10 for sports package to get both. For a total of $95 combined services to get what I had with PSvue and that’s about what I was paying for cable previously. Grrrrrr

Yep, my cable bill is 160 and change for errthang.  Cord cutting is now a marginal proposition.

My only options for lhn are streaming or satellite since I’m not in Texas.  Cable bundling with internet would be nice and save me money for a couple of years but no lhn. 
But I already have the devices and would still need them for other apps like D+ and Netflix, so at&t tv it is until they shut it down or really fuck with the price. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I just get this email from YouTube TV. That I switched to after Vue’s demise.

Does this mean starting Saturday I can no longer get Fox Sports Southwest? That’s a deal killer for me.

————-

Hi there,Our goal with YouTube TV is to offer you the content you love, delivered the way you want.To make this happen, we need to enter into deals with our partners.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair to continue to carry the FOX Regional Sports Networks and YES Network.Starting February 29, 2020, you will no longer be able to watch live, on demand, or recorded content from your local FOX Regional Sports Network or YES Network.

Please know that we do not take this decision lightly. We value your membership and will continue to strive to build the best streaming experience possible.

Sincerely,

The YouTube TV team

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Is all of this going to drive people back to taping the cable back together?

Not likely.  Because...

22 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I still haven't signed up for anything new. Running basic hulu and netflix and the family is very happy.

...this ^ more and more every day.  Mrs Landomatic and I used to have a DVR full of stuff, but it seems like little-by-little, every time we go to our DVR to watch something, the outcome is, "we don't have shit."  Then we switch over to see what we can find on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon and usually find something really good.  I still have YouTubeTV and I'll keep it for the foreseeable future (mostly just for sports anymore), but seems more and more, anything worth a fuck is on one of the streaming services.  My kid has never even logged into the YouTubeTV app.  Literally everything watched is on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.  Appears to be where everything is headed.

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Not likely.  Because...

...this ^ more and more every day.  Mrs Landomatic and I used to have a DVR full of stuff, but it seems like little-by-little, every time we go to our DVR to watch something, the outcome is, "we don't have shit."  Then we switch over to see what we can find on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon and usually find something really good.  I still have YouTubeTV and I'll keep it for the foreseeable future (mostly just for sports anymore), but seems more and more, anything worth a fuck is on one of the streaming services.  My kid has never even logged into the YouTubeTV app.  Literally everything watched is on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.  Appears to be where everything is headed.

I've long been procrastinating the move to streaming. I need live sports -- Stars hockey, football of all kinds (save XFL, I guess), big-time soccer (EPL and Champions League) and the Rangers if/when they get good again -- the local channels, HBO, Bravo (sorry not sorry), Comedy and FX/FXX and perhaps a few others. Is there a magic bullet? I don't want 10 different providers that I have to pay per month if I can avoid it but I also don't like paying $125-$150/mo if I don't have to.

34 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've long been procrastinating the move to streaming. I need live sports -- Stars hockey, football of all kinds (save XFL, I guess), big-time soccer (EPL and Champions League) and the Rangers if/when they get good again -- the local channels, HBO, Bravo (sorry not sorry), Comedy and FX/FXX and perhaps a few others. Is there a magic bullet? I don't want 10 different providers that I have to pay per month if I can avoid it but I also don't like paying $125-$150/mo if I don't have to.

YouTubeTV, until tomorrow when Sinclair pulls FSSW, was that magic bullet; $50/mo with an unlimited DVR for everything you listed above except Comedy Central.  HBONow is ~ $15, iirc, and runs on most new TVs and streaming devices.

I think (maybe more hope) Sinclair and YouTube will reach an agreement on the regional FSNs and YES at some point before baseball season starts.

Edited by Dutch

51 minutes ago, C-Man said:

17 minutes ago, Dutch said:

YouTubeTV, until tomorrow when Sinclair pulls FSSW, was that magic bullet; $50/mo with an unlimited DVR for everything you listed above except Comedy Central.  HBONow is ~ $15, iirc.

I think (maybe more hope) Sinclair and YouTube will reach an agreement on the regional FSNs and YES at some point before baseball season starts.

Yeah, I've learned to live without a few things here and there (LHN) for the savings.  Our old cable bill was right at $150/month and YouTube TV is right at $50 so a couple channels here and there that I can mostly take or leave for $1,200 a year seems like a no-brainer to me.  If I can't find enough to watch between YouTube TV's 70+ channels and all the shit on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime...I figure I should probably get off my fat ass and go outside and do something.

Click this and put your zip in and see what you think is missing and if it's enough that you can/can't live without...

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Edited by Landomatic

PS Vue had an obscure/niche station Smithsonian Channel that is available on some on-demand or other options or as part of a Satellite package. The channel didn't make enough new content to justify paying keeping a subscription or premium package for. But on the PS Vue you could use the dvr feature and watch nearly any show that had been aired in the past month. They had some deep content on military history, it was all fact based (not like the History and other channels) and used tons of archival footage with minimal talking heads or fancy graphics. Last year they had a six part documentary about the Apollo Moon landing program, the previous year they had an eight part series of colorized video from the Pacific theater in WW II. Many programs were coproduced with public television from other countries. Anyway, its worth getting the channel for a short binge on history programming, and its kinda sad that you have to point out that the programs are fact based and not dramatized or speculative shows like what is on History or H2.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

PS Vue had an obscure/niche station Smithsonian Channel that is available on some on-demand or other options or as part of a Satellite package. The channel didn't make enough new content to justify paying keeping a subscription or premium package for. But on the PS Vue you could use the dvr feature and watch nearly any show that had been aired in the past month. They had some deep content on military history, it was all fact based (not like the History and other channels) and used tons of archival footage with minimal talking heads or fancy graphics. Last year they had a six part documentary about the Apollo Moon landing program, the previous year they had an eight part series of colorized video from the Pacific theater in WW II. Many programs were coproduced with public television from other countries. Anyway, its worth getting the channel for a short binge on history programming, and its kinda sad that you have to point out that the programs are fact based and not dramatized or speculative shows like what is on History or H2.

Fucking loved smithsonian when Vue was still around.

14 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

13 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Fucking loved smithsonian when Vue was still around.

hulu has live sports. 

also has the smithsonian channel. 

so far, hulu is treating me pretty well.

On 2/27/2020 at 9:56 PM, Mileslong said:

So I just get this email from YouTube TV. That I switched to after Vue’s demise.

Does this mean starting Saturday I can no longer get Fox Sports Southwest? That’s a deal killer for me.

————-

Hi there,Our goal with YouTube TV is to offer you the content you love, delivered the way you want.To make this happen, we need to enter into deals with our partners.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair to continue to carry the FOX Regional Sports Networks and YES Network.Starting February 29, 2020, you will no longer be able to watch live, on demand, or recorded content from your local FOX Regional Sports Network or YES Network.

Please know that we do not take this decision lightly. We value your membership and will continue to strive to build the best streaming experience possible.

Sincerely,

The YouTube TV team

If dropping FSSW was a deal breaker for you, looks like you won't have to for now. I was probably going to stick with YoutubeTV and just do without the sports carried on those networks, but it would've sucked and I would've been keeping on eye on alternatives.

https://thestreamable.com/news/these-are-the-fox-sports-regional-sports-networks-dropped-by-youtube-tv

• Like 1