Stick to sports

cactusflinthead

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

The ringer is all i can think of

Yeah, I admit that I am not too familiar with it, but my tolerance for Bill Simmons has worn out at about the same pace as everyone else's seems to, so I haven't poked around there too much. 

Magary posted a link to some other site that he writes for that I have never heard of that I'm just now taking a look at - gen.medium.com - and it seems promising. I'm also going to try paying closer attention to my daily Longreads emails, but I'm pretty pissed about this completely unnecessary void in my dumb little routine... 

17 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Yeah, I admit that I am not too familiar with it, but my tolerance for Bill Simmons has worn out at about the same pace as everyone else's seems to, so I haven't poked around there too much. 

Magary posted a link to some other site that he writes for that I have never heard of that I'm just now taking a look at - gen.medium.com - and it seems promising. I'm also going to try paying closer attention to my daily Longreads emails, but I'm pretty pissed about this completely unnecessary void in my dumb little routine... 

here's a great article from the ringer about deadspin, and the trend toward gutting journalists:

https://www.theringer.com/2019/10/31/20942249/deadspin-g-o-media-fired-quit-sports-illustrated-maven-sports-media

edited to say: you can peruse the ringer and avoid simmons snark. i think it's a great little website. 

losing deadspin is a bit like losing espn page 2 back in the day. that place was also special. early bill simmons, ralph wiley, fucking hunter s thompson. 

that was a great little piece of the internet back in the day.

ha, and here is an, ahem, deadspin article about when page 2 ceased to be:

https://deadspin.com/espn-is-shuttering-page-2-5901778

ESPN.com's Page 2 is closing today. What that means for you depends on how old you are.

There's a generation that knew it as ESPN's entrée into attitude-inflected sportswriting: Back in 1999, crazy though the thought might be, ESPN was a couple of television channels, rather than a Synergistic Norbytastic Multimedia Platform Powerhouse. Hiring Hunter S. Thompson and Ralph Wiley and David Halberstam meant something.

That era of Page 2 faded, as eras do, and in came the Bill Simmons/DJ Gallo/Jim Caple era, when the site was more about humor than literary titans. But in the pre-sports-blog era (or in the era before the reader would discover sports blogs), it was funny and fresh and cool and a welcome upgrade to the jokes the local sports columnist would run alongside his Sunday column. (I'm in this generation, and I remember loving the yuks I found in their corner of the web when I was 15. This is how under-the-spell I was: I looked forward to reading Gregg Easterbrook.)

Then the Sports Guy became bigger than Page 2, and ESPN.com grew still. Rick Reilly showed up. ESPN hired an army of sportswriters to work independent of the broadcast presence. And the Page 2 conceit no longer made sense, not because its style was outdated but because so much of ESPN's internet presence had adopted its style. (And perhaps Lynn Hoppes' arrival had a little something to do with the site's demise.) What is Grantland, really, but a resuscitation of Page 2 with one contributor, rather than several, as its star?

The site's relaunching Monday as something called ESPN Playbook, which will probably irritate us all. (The name seems to conjure a screeching Norbygasm.) But if you're planning on eulogizing Page 2, don't: it's everywhere now.

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 2

Insane that Deadspin went from one of the few sites I would religiously visit multiple times per day to nonexistant within a week.  A shame.

(And yes, I understand that this has all been percolating behind the scenes for much longer, but that void will still be there.)

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 2:58 PM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

it seems to me that a profitable model evidently was having a bunch of guys write about a bunch of things with tie-ins to other issues in the world.  the bosses want it more focused.  can't they all just move to a new platform and be just as successful?

Most of those guys moved from other platforms that went under for similar reasons 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I wonder if Nick Denton regrets outting Peter Thiel or running Hulk Hogan’s sex tape.   

Probably given that he completed a capital raise that valued Gawker Media at $250 million a few months before the Hogan verdict.  Of course, digital media valuations have completely collapsed since then.  The evil private equity overlords bought all of the Gawker legacy sites plus The Onion from Univision for only $20 million in April.  

7 hours ago, alincoln said:

Deadspin was an interesting place that was always becoming less interesting while somehow remaining interesting. It consistently maintained a roster consisting some of the most talented writers on the internet coupled with something else.  In Leitch's era, that other consisted of a bunch of guys who capably wrote about sports in an indistinguishable Deadspin snark voice.  In Daulerio's era, that something else consisted of shit-posting fuck ups who made me laugh more often than not.  Most recently, the something else consisted of a bunch of navel-gazing, self-important and humorless cunts who will struggle to find permanent positions in an industry already overflowing with themselves.  

Here.   Deadspin used to be a go-to for the longest time.    But it just became unreadable, not so much because of the / any political slants but just the overriding theme of self-importance of pretty much every piece. There's only so much good work you can do when you're 50% focused on the your keyboard and 50% focused on the mirror you're looking into. 

I don't really follow Barstool / Portnoy.   He can twist the knife as much as he wants and there is some sophomoric comedic value in it. Just as there will be when someone is twisting a separate knife in his abdomen.  That will occur, inevitably. 

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The Ringer is great (although there is a lot of noise and some mediocre writers mixed in).  And, frankly, Simmons is better and more enjoyable now that he isn't sniveling at ESPN.

18 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Has the Funbag resurfaced anywhere? 

Besides on the front of a hosehound? 

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ywa9q5/is-it-acceptable-to-walk-around-a-hotel-without-shoes

Edit.  Here's a handy link to his contributions since he left the corpse of Deadspin:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/contributor/drew-magary

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1