Gender identity politics gone nuts...?

PHLaggie

WTF did I just read...

of course had to be a tweet by a "journalist".

"Not all women menstruate and not all who menstruate are women. Period equality is simply about equality. Period. #NationalPeriodDay"

What is Surly opinion on this? Am I too aggy to not get it? Or am I too Texan to get it but not care? I'm trying to care... but is this an example of taking things a bit too far to the crazy? Biologically we're all either male or female, and only females can menstruate, right? It's another matter that some identify as the opposite gender from what they were born.  Am I wrong?

8 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

WTF did I just read...

"Not all women menstruate and not all who menstruate are women. Period equality is simply about equality. Period. #NationalPeriodDay"

What is Surly opinion on this? Am I too aggy to not get it? Or am I too Texan to get it but not care? I'm trying to care... but is this an example of taking things a bit too far to the crazy? Biologically we're all either male or female, and only females can menstruate, right? It's another matter that some identify as the opposite gender from what they were born.  Am I wrong?

The problem you're having is not uncommon at all, and in fact it is frequently exacerbated by the transgender rights groups themselves. You are conflating sex with gender despite trying not to do so. 

Women is describing a gender. Female describes a sex. There are females who identify as men. If they are still physiologically female but identify as a man then they may be a man who menstruates. On the other hand, there are males who identify as women. They are women who do not menstruate.

It's a total societal mindfuck at this point, and like I said previously, it's a common mistake even among those who are fighting for transgender rights.

• Like 3

Serious question, how do some of you live near Aggies?  Work closely with Aggies?  Have Aggie in-laws?  

we live on a quiet and modest little cul-de-sac in South Austin.  11 homes.  Not one Aggie among us.  An Aggie tried buying one of the homes at the end of the street a few years back.  That didn't happen.  And it never will.  I've never hired an Aggie.   And I never will.  I'm not blood or legally related to an Aggie.  And I never will be. 

They have no right living among us, you ask me.  This is just further proof.  

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The problem you're having is not uncommon at all, and in fact it is frequently exacerbated by the transgender rights groups themselves. You are conflating sex with gender despite trying not to do so. 

Women is describing a gender. Female describes a sex. There are females who identify as men. If they are still physiologically female but identify as a man then they may be a man who menstruates. On the other hand, there are males who identify as women. They are women who do not menstruate.

It's a total societal mindfuck at this point, and like I said previously, it's a common mistake even among those who are fighting for transgender rights.

Thanks, Huckleberry; agree with your observations.

I hope I don't get negged for this, but I think Huckleberry and SuingToGetAMessageBoard have good takes. I'm not good with logic, but perhaps a different way to view it is to reframe it slightly to understand that she is talking more about equality than she is menstrual cycles.

For example:

Not all women walk, and not all who walk are women. Accessibility equality is simply equality.

Disability activists participating in the "Capital Crawl" on March 12, 1990.

It isn't quite the same thing, and I am not very good with words, but that was the idea. But, drawing out one little thing and focusing on the menstrual cycle or the wheelchair misses the bigger picture about the governance of our country and who we elect to represent us.

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I hope I don't get negged for this, but I think Huckleberry and SuingToGetAMessageBoard have good takes. I'm not good with logic, but perhaps a different way to view it is to reframe it slightly to understand that she is talking more about equality than she is menstrual cycles.

For example:

Not all women walk, and not all who walk are women. Accessibility equality is simply equality.

Disability activists participating in the "Capital Crawl" on March 12, 1990.

It isn't quite the same thing, and I am not very good with words, but that was the idea. But, drawing out one little thing and focusing on the menstrual cycle or the wheelchair misses the bigger picture about the governance of our country and who we elect to represent us.

I see your point, but also question what is being asked here; are transgendered people currently not given equal access to menstruation health and hygiene products? They can buy the same range of products that women can, isn't it?

45 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Is this terminology the generally accepted at this point, i.e. men/women terminology relating to gender and male/female relating to sex?

First you have to understand that within feminism, there are those who do not count transgender as women for purposes of that movement.  They are known as TERFs.  Trangender Exclusionary Something Feminists.  The pro-TERFs and anti-TERFs kinda hate each other.

Then you have to understand that a certain segment of feminists believe that it is highly discriminatory that feminine hygiene products are not widely and freely available like, I guess, toilet paper?  I suspect most TERFs firmly believe this.  I also suspect that some non-TERFs don't care because it isn't an issue for them and defines the feminism in a way that tends to discount them.

So, you can see how the second issue might play into the first.  

And some of the TERFs are also members of the Peoples Liberation Front of Judea  . . . .

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Is this terminology the generally accepted at this point, i.e. men/women terminology relating to gender and male/female relating to sex?

Fair question. All I know is that it's the dictionary accepted terminology at this point and as a straight cisgender male engineer that's as far as I've looked. 

• Like 1

I see your point, but also question what is being asked here; are transgendered people currently not given equal access to menstruation health and hygiene products? They can buy the same range of products that women can, isn't it?
Transgender people, like members of all marginalized groups, have rights/access/equity disparities at pretty much every level of our existence.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Fair question. All I know is that it's the dictionary accepted terminology at this point and as a straight cisgender male engineer that's as far as I've looked. 

I think that the sex/gender distinction is fairly well recognized at this point, but the terminology is still a mess even among people trying to be very cognizant of the issues.   

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I can't rep any more today, but that's a great description of it. 

There should just be one restroom with 20 separate stalls each with proper doors that don't have 1/2" panel gaps. There's a machine on the wall vending aspirin, tampons, and Turkish ticklers. Something for everyone.

Edit: also, wood deepa

4 hours ago, elfenix said:

There should just be one restroom with 20 separate stalls each with proper doors that don't have 1/2" panel gaps. There's a machine on the wall vending aspirin, tampons, and Turkish ticklers. Something for everyone.

Edit: also, wood deepa

Then it would be 20 stalls with pee on their seats.  Gotta have a full time attendant also. Beaver style 

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m guessing the most obvious and possibly superficial thing would be no tampon machines in men’s bathrooms, creating an issue for trans men that still menstruate. 

An inconvenience similar to when there were rarely diaper changing stations in men’s rooms, but more existential. 

No changing tables in the men's room was a blessing, not an inconvenience. "Sorry, honey, I would love to change the baby's diaper in a nasty, public bathroom, but the only changing table is in the women's room." I feel bad for men today with babies that can't use that excuse much anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aggies starting threads? Actual humans responding? How stupid are we, folks? You know back in the day we were smart, we never would've put up with it. You don't even want me to say what they would've done with the Aggies.

Get 'em OUT! We have to get them out. We'll build a big, beautiful wall, folks, because they're not sending their best. They're not sending their best.

Make Surly Great Again

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Xian said:

Then it would be 20 stalls with pee on their seats.  Gotta have a full time attendant also. Beaver style 

Solved with a separate room of urinals for you dudes who simply cannot/will not aim your dongle properly (yes, I know all about the split-streams that can happen)

16 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

WTF did I just read...

Did you actually read the article linked, or did you just get yourself all worked up in a bitch fit because of a tweet?

The linked article basically just talks about how a lot of women don't have access to proper "period care" (IE tampons, etc.) and how some doctors misdiagnose things like endometriosis. Do you find anything wrong with that?

It also has a blurb about how women are stigmatized IE "imagine president Hillary on her period omg lol", and how that shouldn't happen. Do you find anything wrong with that?

If you actually read the article and your reaction is anything but "yeah, cool, that makes sense", then you need hobbies and/or to get laid. Fuckin' no attention span having ass snowflake motherfuckers getting all worked up about a tweet without actually reading the underlying content which is completely inoffensive. Our leadership is, unsurprisingly, as dumb and lacking in intellectual curiosity as most of our population.

Good job, OP. Here's your dunce cap.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2