Austin's DWI Dude, Jaime Balagia, Goes Down

TwiceHorn

Centex attorney and former APD vice cop Jaime Balagia, billing himself as the DWI Dude, is convicted of conspiracy to commit money laundering, obstruction of justice, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and attempting to violate the Kingpin Act.

What was his scheme?  Defrauding Colombian drug dealers out of $1.5M by representing that he could get their charges dropped.

Bold strategy there, Dave, er Jaime. 

13629-2961.jpg

Balagia achieved some notoriety around town back in the 80s and 90s because he investigated and arrested most of the West Campus student bookmakers.  They all got their charges dismissed when it was revealed that Balagia and other vice cops were providing protection to massage parlors for money and poon tang.

Somehow managed to keep his cop dirt off his record and get a law license.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They all got their charges dismissed when it was revealed that Balagia and other vice cops were providing protection to massage parlors for money and poon tang.

If anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon... cause I’ve worked is a lot of departments and i tell ya people do that all the time.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Y'all need Jesus.  it is an allusion to Penn's role in Carlito's way.  Ripoff lawyer for the druggies.

Yes, Dave is David Kleinfeld, Carlo Brigante's sometime friend and lawyer.  He took money from the mob, spent it on hookers and blow, etc.

Need to see that film if you haven't.  It's a pretty good 80's drug movie.