2020 astros offseason

elfenix

12 minutes ago, Scraps said:

This deal has no bearing on Reddick getting moved.  This was to allow Straw to be the cheaper replacement defense/pinch runner.  

Reddick can still be moved  the Astros are just going to have to pay the majority of his salary so not sure how keen they are on doing that instead of just letting him rot for a year 

I would think any part of his salary that they don't have to pay would still be a win.  He's not going to get regular playing time unless there is an injury.

This deal has no bearing on Reddick getting moved.  This was to allow Straw to be the cheaper replacement defense/pinch runner.  

Reddick can still be moved  the Astros are just going to have to pay the majority of his salary so not sure how keen they are on doing that instead of just letting him rot for a year 

I would think any part of his salary that they don't have to pay would still be a win.  He's not going to get regular playing time unless there is an injury.

In a predictable move, Jake Marisnick has been traded to the New York Mets. An Astros fixture in recent years, Marisnick’s superb defense has made him a valuable reserve for Houston, though his contact issues held him back from ever locking down a regular role. He’ll project to a similar role with the Mets, succeeding Juan Lagares, and should be able to continue similar levels of production. The emergence of Myles Straw had made Marisnick redundant for the Astros, who have very little room underneath the Competitive Balance Tax threshold and will save $3M as a result of this deal. The savings won’t be the only benefit, however, as two prospects will be joining the Astros organization in return. Here’s a look at what each brings to the table:

Blake Taylor, LHP, 24

A second round selection by the Pirates in 2013, Taylor is no stranger to moves, as he was acquired by the Mets originally in a trade for Ike Davis back in 2014. At the time, Taylor was seen as a projectability guy with an advanced curveball and sinking life on his fastball, per this piece from Marc Hulet. It has been a slow rise for Taylor since then, whose ERA has floated in the 4 range with largely poor strikeout and walk numbers- until last season. The southpaw seemed to figure some things out in 2019, as his walk numbers dropped considerably, resulting in much fewer runs allowed.

Notably, 2019 was Taylor’s first season as a full-time reliever, which seems to suit him much better. Jacob Resnick, a Mets prospect writer, notes below that Taylor was up to 97 after moving to shorter stints, which is especially impressive from the left side. Paired with his curveball, the improved heater should give Taylor the necessary tools to get outs in a major league bullpen if his command improvements stick. After spending much of 2019 at the Double-A level, look for Taylor to receive a difficult assignment to Round Rock in 2020, where he will have the opportunity to pitch his way into the Houston bullpen, which has been short on lefties in recent history.

Kenedy Corona, OF, 19

When news of this trade came across the wires and I took a look at Corona’s player page, the first thought to enter my mind was that he shares many similarities with Astros prospect Adonis Giron, who was similarly acquired in a small-scale trade with Miami for international spending money, which the Marlins used on the Mesa brothers. Corona is listed at 5’11”, 185 lbs., similar to Giron’s 5’10”, 190 lbs. frame. Neither was an especially notable international prospect- Corona signed very late in the process this April as a 19 year old- but put themselves on the map with flashy statistical performance in their rookie ball debuts, which apparently caught the Astros’ eye in both cases.

I just do not get what they see in tucker that makes him untouchable.  I get that he's young, but his development just doesn't really move the needle to me.  his swing is long and awkward, and he appears often over matched at the plate.  
Mr. Beisbol thinks there's a whole in his swing.

Jake news makes me sad.

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

But how do you feel about Reddick?  Don't hold back.

20 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Acquiring Contreras would be a big move. Definitely top 10 at his position. With 3 years of team control, he’s going to be expensive in terms of prospects. I wonder if we have the minor league depth to get him. 

I think he may be available at a lower price than most think. I think I read that most teams think of him as a generally poor defensive catcher and that the Cubs may be disappointed with the return they get for him. 

He is a good hitter, though in the season (2018) in which he played the most games (138), he had his worst offensive performance (100 wRC+ - exactly an average hitter). 

But I'd love to get him, assuming he doesn't cost too much in the way of prospects. 

15 hours ago, Scraps said:

I have always been ok with letting Cole walk....if it were to a west coast team.

Fuck this shit.

Trade Greinke tomorrow and throw a shit load at this dude. The Yankees cannot get him. Fuck.

I don't think Gerrit Cole wants anything to do with the Astros anymore, especially in light of the scandal.

On 12/4/2019 at 8:03 PM, TexArcher said:

It's already the deepest and most jagged Houston fan scar in my collection.

Close to the Bills debacle and the time we beat the Steelers but didn't beat the Steelers. Any trade rumors regarding how the heart of the order is going to stop striking out, or hitting into DPs with runners on base? Ok. I got that out of my system. It was like a burp that wont come up or something. But now I'm ok.

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I don't think Gerrit Cole wants anything to do with the Astros anymore, especially in light of the scandal.

Which another reason why I believe the Yankees and the New York media went all in on the "scandal."  I still don't buy that the accusations will ever rise to that level of malfeasance alleged and firmly believe that the accusations of sign stealing in the ALCS and those since have been greatly exaggerated and perpetuated by the Yankees and the New York media simply to undermine the Astros, and not for the greater good of the game. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the origin of the whole "cheating" fiasco didn't originate with one or both.  Just one fan's opinion.

I'll miss Jake from Rake Farm.

6 hours ago, David Dennison said:

eh, whatever.  he loves the fans and seems to love his teammates.  and the money is green no matter where he goes.

if he signs elsewhere, it won't have shit to do with the "scandal".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

eh, whatever.  he loves the fans and seems to love his teammates.  and the money is green no matter where he goes.

if he signs elsewhere, it won't have shit to do with the "scandal".

Agreed.  He’ll go for the best offer.  

I don’t see how we get Contreras without surrendering Whitley.  

51 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Why would Cole ever want to pitch for Hinch after that bitch ass World Series shit?

I thought I read somewhere that Hinch said that he and Cole had agreed on strategy prior to the game. They agreed the strategy was to only bring him into the game with the lead and at the start of an inning. So when Cole stood up and started stretching and warming up it was on his own accord.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, houston1108 said:

I thought I read somewhere that Hinch said that he and Cole had agreed on strategy prior to the game. They agreed the strategy was to only bring him into the game with the lead and at the start of an inning. So when Cole stood up and started stretching and warming up it was on his own accord.

You go in with a strategy, it changes when you get into the 7th with a one run lead.

I don’t see how we get Contreras without surrendering Whitley.  

Good riddance to Whitley then. I’ll take a known quantity over potential. Especially when that known quantity is an elite bat at catcher with 3 years of team control left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

You go in with a strategy, it changes when you get into the 7th with a one run lead.

Yeah who could have foreseen such a crazy scenario when developing the plan?

Edited by WBT
  • Haha 1

The Astros were never going to sign Cole, regardless of the WS result, sign-stealing, etc, after the season he had. 

They're bumping up against the luxury tax threshold as it is. Tucker is the only OF (who seems like a regular, and he's no sure thing) under contract beyond next season, and there aren't really any upper-level OF prospects that figure to plug in.  Meanwhile, there is no viable catcher on the roster, and the rotation and bullpen could use a boost. 

The Astros aren't going to give Cole more than $30 million annually for 6 or 7 years, which would blow them past the luxury tax threshold at least for the next couple of seasons. Not when you either have to extend or replace Springer and Brantley next offseason, then Correa the following year. 

If Verlander and Greinke were coming off the books this year, or maybe even next year...sure. But they aren't. 

This is an era in which the Red Sox are supposedly shopping Mookie Betts - one of the 3 or 4 best players in baseball - because they don't want to pay a luxury tax. The Yankees and Dodgers have been mostly fiscally restrained in recent years. The Astros don't figure to be the ones to buck the trend. They were never going to be a player for Cole. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 9:44 PM, Pimphand said:

Why would Cole ever want to pitch for Hinch after that bitch ass World Series shit?

You don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. Cole threw 5 pitches during his bull pen warmup in Game 7. 2 of them almost left the bullpen and the other 3 didn't even come close to hitting the catchers mitt 

On 12/7/2019 at 9:30 AM, Hank Chinaski said:

Tucker is the only OF (who seems like a regular, and he's no sure thing) under contract beyond next season, and there aren't really any upper-level OF prospects that figure to plug in. 

Problem...

On 12/7/2019 at 9:30 AM, Hank Chinaski said:

This is an era in which the Red Sox are supposedly shopping Mookie Betts - one of the 3 or 4 best players in baseball - because they don't want to pay a luxury tax.

... meet solution.