2020 astros offseason

elfenix

Gurriel is a natural 3rd baseman and Bregs is a natural shortstop. Plug a spare at 1st and let Strom work his magic with Castillo. What is there not to like?

Yuli at 3B on a regular basis is a terrible answer

Yuli at 3B his first couple of years in the MLB is fine, but not anymore
He did not look good there the few chances he was getting recently
And you significant downgrade 1B defensively with that move as well.
  • Like 1

Moving Bregman to short will already be a downgrade.  Correa, when he is playing, has a better arm and range.  If you move Yuli to 3rd, you will have also downgraded there and most likely with his replacement at 1st as well.  So 3 positions would be worse off defensively than before the trade, 2 of those would be significantly worse.  That is not a good solution.  You can live with Bregman at short and be ok, but they need to get a 3rd baseman. 

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

I know the idea has been shot down before, but without Cole, Correa, Reddick, & Marisnick on the payroll next year can Lunow figure out a way to pay Rendon? That solves every problem. I know it's a pipe dream, but Lunow is a master and if anyone can get it done, he can. He said he's willing to go right to the luxury tax limit so who knows. I'm just looking for anything positive as the last few months for all the teams that I follow have totally sucked. 

5 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I know the idea has been shot down before, but without Cole, Correa, Reddick, & Marisnick on the payroll next year can Lunow figure out a way to pay Rendon? That solves every problem. I know it's a pipe dream, but Lunow is a master and if anyone can get it done, he can. He said he's willing to go right to the luxury tax limit so who knows. I'm just looking for anything positive as the last few months for all the teams that I follow have totally sucked. 

Problem is, none of those guys were making that much money yet. Plus Altuve's new deal is kicking in. Add in that we now have Greinke for another 2 years, Verlander making over $30 million for two more years, and the fact that Tucker is the only OF under contract beyond next season. 

If this Correa trade happens, I could maybe see signing Donaldson, who will sign for significantly fewer total dollars that Rendon because he's older and may sign a 2/3 year-deal. But you're still talking about $20 million annually. 

I agree that Yuli at 3B isn't a good solution. If Correa is moved, I'd expect the club to acquire a SS or 3B via trade.  Not sure who is out there and available...and not sure how expensive Kris Bryant would actually be. But he'd work at 3B. 

28 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I'd be ecstatic with Bryant, except that he's not a FA so he'll cost us players. Rendon only costs dollars, albeit a lot of them. 

Right, but that's why it seems more likely. I have no idea what the Cubs would want, and he's got the grievance still going with his service time complaint - so he may have 1 year left or two. If it's one, he'd obviously be much less expensive. If it's 2, I can't imagine what the Astros would have to give...probably more than we have. 

22 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

uh...wut?  you are not "saving" any money by trading corlabia and signing rendon.  he's going to command 20-25 per.  

If your referring to Rendon, he’s already turned down 7/$210mm. He’s getting closer to $35mm/yr. Not happening here. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

bregman is not the answer as an every day short stop on a team with WS aspirations.  that talk needs to end.  

Please explain this to me.

I just watched a team with Trea Turner at SS win the World Series so what you said makes zero fucking sense.

Bregman is better in the field and at the plate. We’d be upgrading at SS by moving him there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

bregman is not the answer as an every day short stop on a team with WS aspirations.  that talk needs to end.  

Just now, Cooder said:

Bregman is better in the field and at the plate. We’d be upgrading at SS by moving him there.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Bregs would be fine at SS, but he is not an upgrade over Correa defensively. I do not like the idea of moving Yuli to 3B and moving Bregs to SS, but if we acquired Rendon (we aren't) or traded for Bryant (we probably can't) and moved Bregs to SS, our infield defense would be fine. 

3 minutes ago, Cooder said:

Arm strength is the only thing Correa has over Bregman defensively. And Bregman has plenty of arm to play SS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correa is 5 inches taller and is still faster and more agile.  He has a much better range than Bregman.  The play Correa made behind 2nd in the ALCS is one Bregman can't make.

3 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

These aren't binary choices. In a vacuum, on paper, Correa is clearly a better defensive SS than Bregman. But is the team better with a marginally worse SS who is more durable and with a pitcher like Castillo? I think that is pretty clear. 

Yep. Carlos is elite when he's on the field. The problem is he often isn't. 

You just proved my point.  That throw barely got to first.  Correa uncorked a 95mph throw flatfooted.  You are letting Correa's bitchassedness cloud your judgment. It is ok to admit he plays a better shortstop than Bregman.  Bregman will be fine there and do it for the entire season, while Castillo hopefully eases the loss of Cole.

Edited by kevwun

You just proved my point.  That throw barely got to first.  Correa uncorked a 95mph throw flatfooted.  You are letting Correa's bitchassedness cloud your judgment. It is ok to admit he plays a better shortstop than Bregman.  Bregman will be fine there and do it for the entire season, while Castillo hopefully eases the loss of Cole.

What the fuck? Bregman was running into right center and had to do a 360 and accurately got the ball to 1st in plenty of time. Don’t tell me Bregman doesn’t have Correa’s range. Go sell that bullshit somewhere else.

22 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

These aren't binary choices. In a vacuum, on paper, Correa is clearly a better defensive SS than Bregman. But is the team better with a marginally worse SS who is more durable and with a pitcher like Castillo? I think that is pretty clear. 

You forgot about 3B...

if they pull the trade they may be able to get the rendon thing done, or they may decide it's worth it to pay the LT his contract would likely cause.  Of course, you then have the Springer problem the following year at which point you have:

Rendon - 25+

Bregman - 20+

Altuve - 20+

Verander 30+

Grienke 30+

that's a ton of cash locked up.  where do you get another 25-30 for springer.  cannot happen.  

3 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Hey Urinal face (Dont get what portapotty boy means)- still waiting on more info. Will pass along when I have it

3 hours ago, runthebone said:

Being called Portapotty boy/girl or craps table MILF are huge compliments, trust me

Indeed - this was meant as a compliment reserved for those with only the most classified of non-public information that we degenerates care about. Keep it up!

Edited by Planet Houston