2020 astros offseason

elfenix

My source just said deal is agreed on and physicals are ok’d just waiting to clear up the legal matter but he’s unsure what that exactly is. Also says reddick and correa funds will be used to extend springer and they will focus on Rendon and Donaldson to fill 3B hole

• Like 3

For what it’s worth (not much) if JV and Cole pitch every 5th game, they’ll be in line to start Saturday night May 16 at MMP.
A bit foolish to project that though as would assume no rain/snow out or skipping a 5th starter for either team

The 4 game set in the Bronx the last week of the season could be fun though

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

if this falls through, im banning RGBIII

damn this has me excited 

Fair. I debated on even posting cause I don’t want to be known as the Astros lotushorn but this dude has literally never been wrong before and figured I’d spread the knowledge on. I’ll block myself if this is his first miss

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

So, you're telling me next year I could have a raging Yardon AND a raging Rendong?

I'll give up Correa, daniella, reddick, framberlamps, utphil, and the in and outs

Have you seen their wedding photos. They look so happy :) Correa and his parents were preventing her stylist that helped her become Ms Laredo and Ms Texas and was very close to her from coming to the wedding because they hate gays. Apparently, they relented and the stylist did come to the wedding.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

Damn, I know he's about to get very expensive but I hate giving up Correa's prime years. 

That locker room is going to have a totally different feel next year.

Whatever production you would expect from Correa should be reduced by about 1/3, because he's unlikely to participate in more than 2/3 of the season. The guy is as talented as anyone in the game, but his projected value has to bake in his absenteeism. 

14 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Fair. I debated on even posting cause I don’t want to be known as the Astros lotushorn but this dude has literally never been wrong before and figured I’d spread the knowledge on. I’ll block myself if this is his first miss

fuck that.  you proposed an offer i hadn't heard of last night, and rosenthal/gammons were yapping about it this morning.  if it falls through because of normal mlb bullshit, that's not your fault.

still trucker hat worthy.

orange or navy?

• Like 2

I will say that (without look at the WAR or other statistics), the loss of Cole almost demands something dramatic to just hold serve.  We've had years where a contending Astros team added pieces like Kent Bottenfield and hoped that would be sufficient. 

It's clear that as the front offices around the league have ejected organizational loyalist types and upgraded their brain trusts that teams in the contend part of the success cycle have to be prepared for high risk/expensive bets to stay in contention.  There's no 2019 Cole replacements (certainly on a cost/performance basis) on the pitching market but adding a Castillo and Rendon (if it breaks that way) should keep the window open. 

TL: DR Fuck Drayton.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

fuck that.  you proposed an offer i hadn't heard of last night, and rosenthal/gammons were yapping about it this morning.  if it falls through because of normal mlb bullshit, that's not your fault.

orange or navy?

Ya seems to be the only thing holding it back is this legal stuff which at this point I’m completely in the dark about. Who knows how serious it is. Orange always 

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

orange or navy?

What about the juicy gossip about Daniella that I posted. Is that not trucker hat worthy :)

• Fuck You 1

55 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Nah, too much secondary confirmation now from baseball media sources. It's legit. Could still not happen depending on what the holdup is in the Dominican with Castillo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Careful, man. Back in 1998 during the Randy Johnson craziness I posted on some board or article that the Astros were about to finalize a trade for Johnson. Totally made it up. Obviously turned out to be correct.

The internet being fairly young (or at least widespread internet sports boards) I had stupidly used my main email address to sign up for my account there. Some dude from that site emailed me dozens of times every late July for about 5 years asking me what the Astros were up to that season. I think the only reason it stopped is that I changed email addresses. I never even responded to any of those emails.

And if you think the guys here on surly aren't at least that crazy then you're crazy. Watch your cornhole, bud.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

My source just said deal is agreed on and physicals are ok’d just waiting to clear up the legal matter but he’s unsure what that exactly is. Also says reddick and correa funds will be used to extend springer and they will focus on Rendon and Donaldson to fill 3B hole

This would be quite the coup for the Astros as Castillo has far more surplus value than the combination of Correa and Reddick.  I'd assume we're sending a couple of our best non-Whitley prospects along with Correa/Reddick, but they don't have much value. 

A healthy Correa in his prime is a 1.000 OPS and solid fielding shortstop capable of dethroning Mike Trout. Really, a laboratory built baseball player. And drafting that ceiling first overall was a great move.

But he can't stay healthy, so I'm coming around to the possible trade. I hope the other core members (Altuve, Springer, Bregman) can get over losing him. Especially Altuve, those two seem to have a legit brotherly bond.

12 minutes ago, APMP said:

A healthy Correa in his prime is a 1.000 OPS and solid fielding shortstop capable of dethroning Mike Trout. Really, a laboratory built baseball player. And drafting that ceiling first overall was a great move.

But he can't stay healthy, so I'm coming around to the possible trade. I hope the other core members (Altuve, Springer, Bregman) can get over losing him. Especially Altuve, those two seem to have a legit brotherly bond.

Altuve’s lower leg was held on by band-aids at the end of 2018.  Correa missed more than half of 2019.  I don’t doubt that they are close, but I’m sure Correa’s fragility was hard for Altuve to swallow at times.   

Getting over losing a guy who’s gone half the time shouldn’t be too hard.
  • Like 2

I hope the other core members (Altuve, Springer, Bregman) can get over losing him. Especially Altuve, those two seem to have a legit brotherly bond.

So close that i dont think any of them were at his wedding lol. I think I only saw Kemp and Yuli in the vids I saw