2020 astros offseason

elfenix

I really hope Springer agrees to an extension. I can't imagine he'd sign for less than 5 additional years, taking him through his age-35 season. This is going to be the largest contract he will sign, so he is going to make sure he maximizes it. 

I assume it would take something like 5/6 years and $100-130 million to get it done. I think that is probably a good deal for both parties, but I could also see the club being reluctant to commit that many years/dollars. Hope I'm wrong, I love Springer. 

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

A owner that knows we have a once in a lifetime roster at his control and won’t be a cheap ass pussy and sign him Or watch the Yankees or Red Sox scoop him up.

I wouldn't worry about the Red Sox, they are having a lot of problems locking up Betts, who is better than Springer. I also wouldn't worry about the Yankees, as they are going to be concerned about locking up Sanchez, Judge, Torres, Andujar, Paxton, and Urshela.

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Anyone calling Crane cheap just doesn’t know what’s up. The Astros projected 2020 payroll is the 2nd highest in the league. He has far exceeded expectations in his willingness to spend. 

He isn’t willing to go deeper into the tax which he clearly will have to if he wants to keep this roster around or add to it when we have holes like right now. They are trying to get under the tax from everything I’ve read. Facts are facts and if we want to keep these guys around he will no doubt have to be willing to go deep into the tax.

• Fuck You 1

This annoys me a lot more than the $8M for Correa.

I don’t exactly get this (annoyance at Osuna getting $10M).

This is the obligatory “don’t hate the player, hate the (mlb compensation) game. That is the market value of guys with his experience and production. You can’t just not sign him and let him walk. The only choice they had was 1) pay him market value (as determined by an arbitrator if he and FO couldn’t agree) or 2) trade him.

Btw, giles is getting $9.6M next year.

On 1/11/2020 at 3:22 PM, TonyTexas said:

Anyone calling Crane cheap just doesn’t know what’s up. The Astros projected 2020 payroll is the 2nd highest in the league. He has far exceeded expectations in his willingness to spend. 

The talent level warrants it.

Just comes down to how long he wants this iteration to last.

I think the Astros' model is more about sustainability than going "all-in" with the current roster. The Dodgers operate the same way. The club has shown that they'll make moves to increase their odds of winning it all, but those usually involve absorbing short-term commitments (Verlander, Cole, Greinke, Brantley), not adding long-term commitments. 

I think it is the right approach...the goal isn't to go all-in while the window is open (which implies that it is closing), it is to operate in such a way that ensures the window remains open. That is going to be a challenge moving forward, as the club is up against the luxury tax threshold, many players are getting more expensive, and the farm system is a little down from a high-end talent perspective (but still has depth). But I think that is the plan. 

The 2020 club won't look too different than it has the last few seasons, but after this coming season, things are going to change. Springer, Brantley, Reddick and Yuli will all be free agents, and there will be another open spot at C. So that's C, 1B, 3 OF spots that will need to be addressed. Hopefully Tucker assumes one of the OF spots (this year). And then Greinke and Correa will be FAs after 2021. 

So, if they want to keep this window open, the moves they make will have to be calculated. Maybe they extend Springer with the other OF money that is coming off the books in 2021. 

On 1/7/2020 at 1:31 PM, Planet Houston said:

Here’s my prediction, not that anyone particularly cares. I think Luhnow gets a year off, Hinch gets half a season, we lose multiple draft picks and Crane has to pay a 7 figure fine. 

On 1/7/2020 at 3:13 PM, patrickdrinksbeer said:

i’ll take the unders

spacer.png

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Not really all that harsh. Got off lighter than most would want. This won’t affect their current team much. Interim manager the only real difference

unless Crane feels like he has to fire Lunhow.  Doubt he will do it, but you never know.

I had also heard that Crane had a shit ton of dirt on Manfred.  I guess he decided no to use it.

I actually expected the fine to be way higher. I dont really think this is a huge issue we are still gonna beat ass this year.

Main problem as mentioned is the picks. Even more reason to lockdown Springer now cause our farm system is gonna be kind of worthless for big league talent

6 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I actually expected the fine to be way higher. I dont really think this is a huge issue we are still gonna beat ass this year.

Main problem as mentioned is the picks. Even more reason to lockdown Springer now cause our farm system is gonna be kind of worthless for big league talent

Apparently the fine was the max allowed.

• Like 1

No one will care in a week. And if anyone thinks Lunhow won't still be involved if we need to make a deadline move to win a title I think you are smoking crack. Y'all think they will just be sitting at home watching tv with zero contact? LOL. This is all for show but I guarantee they will have daily meetings with the team during the season. on the DL of course. 

8 minutes ago, dhornf said:

Such bullshit.  I wonder how the appeal process works in this scenario? 

No, it's not.  Fuck the Astros.  Cheated to win the WS.  That's what's bullshit.  If you don't think this could have been the difference in a series that went 7 games, you're deluding yourself.

• Like 10
  • Fuck You 3