2020 astros offseason

elfenix

4 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

My God our organizations is in tatters now. I fucking feel sick. I met Luhnow at alumni events and he was a great guy. Got to try on his championship ring and took pictures with the WS trophy with him. Fuck Crane for doing this. Best GM we ever had in any sport. Watch us get stuck with some Tim Purpura like clown instead.

Congrats? He knew about it and did nothing. That gets you fired. 

33 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

The astros are loaded and have the infrastructure to withstand two years of 1st and 2nd round picks they get to keep the other rounds as well and can still make trades to replenish since we all know now that Crane isn't going to go deep into the tax so we aren't keeping all these guys around.

Stop with the fucking dramatics. We aren't fucked, it sucks and will hurt but we are far from being "fucked".

They’re fucked for a stretch of time, likely 2022-2025.  They’ll be great this year and next.  Go back and look at the impact the 2007 draft had on Houston from 2009-2013.  Combine losing picks with a full payroll and small signing pools and you have surefire recipe for a rebuild.  It’s not dramatics, it’s knowing how talent pipelines work.

• Like 1

The premise that Luhnow knew nothing is so over the top absurd that it's almost breathtaking. There are rumors that they had a fucking codebreaker doing work this year. They all knew what was going on. Hopefully they stop fucking cheating. Of course on one of the rare occasions where the cheaters actually get what they had coming to them, it's with a team I've spent my whole life cheering for, all the low valleys and the few high peaks. Meanwhile Baylor gets away with systemic rape and rape cover-ups and the entirety of the SEC cheats with impunity. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Spend more internationally and in free agency. Losing 4 players who aren't guaranteed to pan out is not going to cost the team half a decade...these arent #1 overall guys we are talking about, these are late first and second round picks. It hurts but its not some death sentence. If the team needs to rebuild and strengthen the farm there are plenty of ways to do so

It’s a death sentence for a stretch of time, especially when combined with the front office disruption, the payroll situation, and the current state of the farm.  Very little impact on 2020-2021, unless Espada and Putila prove totally inept.  Nobody can predict 7+ years away.  But the Astros are going to have an extremely difficult time contending from 2022-2025.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Like 1

Just now, DaysOff said:
4 minutes ago, Alvin89 said:
Beltran getting by with no punishment seems hilarious. 

Does seem odd.

Since he was a player at the time, he probably still gets union protection for that time period.   I’m OK letting Beltran slide if the rest of our players do too.  

• Like 1

Just now, Eastwood said:

I'm thinking the firings were to stave off stiffer punishment. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were negotiated into all of this.

Got damn, Houston just can't have anything nice. The universe spikes any peak right back into the valley...

I don’t think so.  Crane has to start rebuilding the organization’s rep immediately.  

This is definitely hard to see happen to the astros. I've cheered for them my entire life, but this is a well-deserved punishment. 

Maybe Harden will stop going to strip clubs during the playoffs this year and Houston can enjoy a title in a different sport. 

Edited by StruggleBus
Fuck the rockets

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think for shits and giggles we should destroy the centerfield camera well and have 2020 Astros games broadcast only from camera views where you can't see the catcher's signs.

Bury the camera where they buried Beltran's glove. Then bury Beltran, too. 

15 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Crane screwed Cora. The Red Sox have to fire him now 

This keeps getting repeated. Why has this become the standard in the past few years, that if you get outed for something you did or said prior to your current employment, you should be fired by your current employer? If Cora did illegal cheating with the Red Sox, that’s a different story. But if he is being fired by the Sox for something he did in Houston, should it be a lifetime ban? Do you think a person should never be able to make a living in their profession again? Or if another club/employer hires him soon thereafter, why was it the Red Sox’s responsibility to punish him? And in that scenario, aren’t the Red Sox and their fans actually being punished more than Cora?

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

This keeps getting repeated. Why has this become the standard in the past few years, that if you get outed for something you did or said prior to your current employment, you should be fired by your current employer? If Cora did illegal cheating with the Red Sox, that’s a different story. But if he is being fired by the Sox for something he did in Houston, should it be a lifetime ban? Do you think a person should never be able to make a living in their profession again? Or if another club/employer hires him soon thereafter, why was it the Red Sox’s responsibility to punish him? And in that scenario, aren’t the Red Sox and their fans actually being punished more than Cora?

Uh, you new here? You realize that the Red Sox did the same thing in 2018 with Cora in charge, except Cora was actually directly involved, right?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Not sure about can't have anything nice. The Astros got two pennants and a World Series championship.

Yeah, but here we are talking about this bullshit. Now all the talking heads out there for the foreseeable future will be throwing out a qualifier every time they talk about the 2017 Astros. Since we aren't their favorite market, they are going to asswhip this until we are all dead and buried. Listening to some of these guys, we might as well be the Black Sox.

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He did, and it is. 

This isn't a cancel culture thing. 

• Like 1