2020 astros offseason

elfenix

Just now, cabowabo said:

Good move by Crane.  Fucking idiots deserved to be fired.  Did they actually think that this scheme would remain a secret?  Hell, I don't even have any ill will for Fiers.  Jackasses.

Play stupid games 

Win stupid prizes 

Cheat? Get fired. Knowingly let it happen and do nothing? Get fired. 

For good or bad, today officially marks the end of one era for the Astros and the beginning of another. Organization gonna look a whole lot different this year and beyond.

Jeff Luhnow 12/8/11-1/13/20. Will go down as most controversial GM in franchise history. Completely rebuilt the team from top to bottom, taking us from mediocrity to laughingstock to juggernaut over the course of 9 seasons. Brought us 3 straight division titles and our lone championship. Fired in disgrace.

HInch 9/29/14-1/13/20. Compiled the best winning % of any Astros skipper by far. Finishes #2 in franchise history for wins. Would have been #1 by the 2020 All-Star Break. Fired in disgrace.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Uh, you new here? You realize that the Red Sox did the same thing in 2018 with Cora in charge, except Cora was actually directly involved, right?

Yeah, the Red Sox might not get the chance to fire Cora. I think baseball puts him on the permanently banned list.

10 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Yeah, but here we are talking about this bullshit. Now all the talking heads out there for the foreseeable future will be throwing out a qualifier every time they talk about the 2017 Astros.

If by talking heads you mean baseball fans, then yes, you are right. The Astros cheated and won a championship. Auburn cheated and won a championship when they paid Cam Newton $180k. Cheating is cheating, and when the cheating leads to a title, no one outside of your organization and its fans will ever respect that title.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I think most of y’all are overreacting to the loss of draft picks and slot money. 2020 picks are #30 and 60. 2021 will be similar. Slot money lost is around $2.5mm. It hurts but it’s not the death sentence it would be if drafting at the top. 

with our luck, the new gm won't be able to manipulate the signing pool the way luhnow did anyway.

13 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Did they actually think that this scheme would remain a secret?  Hell, I don't even have any ill will for Fiers.  Jackasses.

This is where I've been...we can be mad at Fiers, but did they really think this wouldn't become common knowledge around baseball? Players come and go all the fucking time. 

8 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

If by talking heads you mean baseball fans, then yes, you are right. The Astros cheated and won a championship. Auburn cheated and won a championship when they paid Cam Newton $180k. Cheating is cheating, and when the cheating leads to a title, no one outside of your organization and its fans will ever respect that title.

This is one of the least self-aware posts I've ever read in my entire life.

In order to support your argument that nobody outside of an organization respects a title that cheating led to you chose to cite an SEC football title.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I was wrong about the suspensions, but I'm fine with all of this. Good move by Crane to get rid of Hinch and Luhnow.

But if they really want to stop this kind of stuff, they have to punish players or vacate wins. This isn't going to do it.

I don't think they need to punish the players. 

And yes, this may just do it.

I was wrong about the suspensions, but I'm fine with all of this. Good move by Crane to get rid of Hinch and Luhnow.
But if they really want to stop this kind of stuff, they have to punish players or vacate wins. This isn't going to do it.

Calm the fuck down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The best news is that the Red Sox are just now being investigated. It's 100% likely Cora brought the same scheme with me to Boston. They are going to get hammered too, and push the Astros to back burner.

The Yankees appear to have been deep into this on their own.  Total BS if they skate.  Heard the Cubs, too.

I think we got off with a love tap. 

It’s a love tap but still considering highest maximum $fine.

Punished draft picks so basically punishing players. Young dudes dreaming to be drafted by the Stros are fucked. Hah

MLB wanted to make a statement but they know they don’t want to open up pandora’s box to find out entire league does a form of cheating. Then it looks bad on MLB

Just now, utxmike05 said:

It’s a love tap but still considering highest maximum $fine.

Punished draft picks so basically punishing players. Young dudes dreaming to be drafted by the Stros are fucked. Hah

MLB wanted to make a statement but they know they don’t want to open up pandora’s box to find out entire league does a form of cheating. Then it looks bad on MLB

I just feel like it could have been worse.

I'm fine with this. Move on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Why? Because you don't think they should have imposed these penalties on the Astros? Or just because you're pissed at the Astros and it's ruined baseball for you? 

The MLB penalties should have been more severe.

This was organized, sophisticated, electronically-based cheating on a scale way, way beyond "normal" sign stealing. Which, I think most would say, wink wink nudge nudge, is a part of the game. But when you start going way beyond with shit like the Astros (and it looks like other teams) were doing? No. 

What pisses me off is that these teams were good enough to win without the advantage.  The cheating probably did very little to sway outcomes and was statistically irrelevant.  But it’s there.  And people can always point to that.  And it bothers me as a lifelong fan of the Astros. 

• Like 3