2020 astros offseason

elfenix

Astros vs the world now. Id care about what the astros did, if NO team had ever done it before. As we have seen lately plenty of former players are outing other teams and systems they used to get same results. Mlb didnt strip any teams win/titles that had ped users( manny, ortiz, arod, and so on) . Stealing signs has been going on for decades. Plus by manfreds rule prior to sept 2017 using technology wasnt "breaking the rules". Red sox caused that rule to be made.

• Like 5

think of it this way.  If I said after the 2016 season you can go to 2 World Series, 1 ALCS, and win 1 out of the 2 WS over the next 3 seasons, but the cost is your manager and Gm get fired, you make that deal 100 times out of 100, right?  Yes.  You do.  Banner is still there just like those of USC circa 2003-2004.  

The cost isn’t only “your manager and GM get fired”.

The cost is your manager and GM get fired, you lose 4 draft picks, $5 million, and the baseball world outside of your own fan base now thinks your only WS title is bogus.

Do you still make that trade 100 of 100 times? If the Horns could win the NC this year but there will be an investigation in 2022 that shows Tom Herman’s staff was tapped into the coaches’ headsets of opposing teams who played at DKR, do you want the title that bad? Do you want rival fans to be able to throw that in your face every time the 2020 NC is mentioned? I personally don’t.

27 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

The cost is your manager and GM get fired, you lose 4 draft picks, $5 million, and the baseball world outside of your own fan base now thinks your only WS title is bogus.

Do you still make that trade 100 of 100 times? If the Horns could win the NC this year but there will be an investigation in 2022 that shows Tom Herman’s staff was tapped into the coaches’ headsets of opposing teams who played at DKR, do you want the title that bad? Do you want rival fans to be able to throw that in your face every time the 2020 NC is mentioned? I personally don’t.

OK, but what if it came out that the teams you played against were doing a similar thing?

I would wait until we find out more about how widespread sign stealing was.

Edited by runthebone

1 minute ago, Larry Sellers said:

On the ESPN ticker in Baylor-OSU game, they are showing results from a poll of fans that say that the majority of fans want individual players punished and 53% of people support stripping the title and 50% want the Red Sox title stripped. Don’t know if I’ve ever seen nonsense like that on the ticker.

ESPN trying to fan the flames. Never mind the Yankees were caught cheating in 2017 as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Exactly why is it not thoughtful if the Mets and Reds choose not to interview Dusty Baker?

Yeah these clubs are 21st century and into analytics. Dusty is 80 years old and used to wipe Barry Bonds’s butt as a baby. What is the dig here, that the other teams are not woke enough if they don’t interview him?

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Exactly how many years has there been an Astros Hall of Fame without Cesar Cedeno in it?!!?!?!?

Last year was the inaugural year  Here were the 2019 inductees

Bob Aspromonte, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Jose Cruz, Larry Dierker, Gene Elston, Milo Hamilton, Joe Morgan, Joe Niekro, Shane Reynolds, J.R. Richard, Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott, Jim Umbricht, Don Wilson and Jimmy Wynn

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

So you care what sooner and aggy think?

LOL

Edited by David Dennison

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Probably lots of people voting in New York and California.

It was a professional survey, not a voluntary online thing.  

Roughly 3 in 4 Americans (74%) and MLB fans (76%) believe most teams were using technology to steal signs, but it's just the Astros and Red Sox who got caught.

I bet 99.9% of mlb players know it which is why almost no one has come out in support of Fiers other than Darvish and he's still trying to desperately convince himself it wasn't his glove position that was giving away his breaking stuff.

Edited by kevwun

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That's the way this kind of shit used to get ironed out. As long as they aren't throwing at or behind our heads, fuck it, that's baseball. 

The dirty little secret in baseball is that players around the league are way more pissed at Mike Fiers than they are at the Astros.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If everyone in the clubhouse knew he was wearing a buzzer then why the fuck would they risk ripping his shirt off?  

Um, Altuve and any other player could have set up a buzzer system or similar on their own or in collaboration with just a few teammates.  Multi-millionaires can afford to hire someone to go to every game and try to engage in such shenanigans.

I don't want to believe Altuve did this, but it is certainly possible.  Who knows how many other players have done such things?  I bet if this goes nuclear and players start whistleblowing about former teams and teammates as more teams and players get outed we'll find out someone on another team already did, perhaps several years ago.  I didn't catch the name, but MLB radio played a clip today from either a player or team exec (not Astros) that said that there is a whole lot more to come out, a lot more than what has already been revealed.  I'm guessing there are several other teams getting exposed soon. 

All because Mike Fiers had to kill Soliemani and now it will likely spiral into mdmost's avatar.

Edited by clapclapclap

47 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I still don't understand why we don't hire a GM first and let them be involved in the MGR hire.

I mean ultimately it is up to Crane, but this seems ass backwards. I would want my GM to feel comfortable with the mgr he has to work with

This year's manager is a stop gap.

me, shep, scarps, and erhine could lead us to 97 wins. idogg would lead us to warrens and utphil would die halfway through the season 

The gm hire is more important, they'll want a manager to stake their hat on, unless it's 3putt cause he got a bigass hat

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I’d take that shit all day