2020 astros offseason

elfenix

3 hours ago, WBT said:

roughly 29 more, which is why the whole thing is so stupid

So what you are saying is that there shouldn't be a first or 2nd round of the draft for the next 2 years. It will start with round 3.

Instead, what will happen is everyone will get caught. There may even be 1 or 2 that did it worse than the Astros did. But nobody else is going to get hit with penalties except the Red Sox. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

ESPN all weekend: Online poll says fans want Astros players punished too!

Any logical person anywhere: No shit! Fans wants opposing teams to lose players, coaches, and draft picks which may help their team’s chances of success! Extra extra read all about it!

Fans also want cheap beer. $9.95 ESPN+

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

ESPN all weekend: Online poll says fans want Astros players punished too!

Any logical person anywhere: No shit! Fans wants opposing teams to lose players, coaches, and draft picks which may help their team’s chances of success! Extra extra read all about it!

Fans also want cheap beer. $9.95 ESPN+

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28507148/survey-fans-want-astros-players-punished-sign-stealing-scandal

Fun fact, this is the second-to-last paragraph in the article about this poll.  

Roughly 3 in 4 Americans (74%) and MLB fans (76%) believe most teams were using technology to steal signs, but it's just the Astros and Red Sox who got caught.

Unless you have an agenda, seems strange to so strongly highlight one question from the poll and damn near gloss over this one.

Also: Most Americans say the doping/steroids scandal was worse than this one (49% say doping was worse vs. 24% who say the sign-stealing scandal is worse)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28507148/survey-fans-want-astros-players-punished-sign-stealing-scandal

Fun fact, this is the second-to-last paragraph in the article about this poll.  

Roughly 3 in 4 Americans (74%) and MLB fans (76%) believe most teams were using technology to steal signs, but it's just the Astros and Red Sox who got caught.

Unless you have an agenda, seems strange to so strongly highlight one question from the poll and damn near gloss over this one.

Also: Most Americans say the doping/steroids scandal was worse than this one (49% say doping was worse vs. 24% who say the sign-stealing scandal is worse)

PEDs and sign stealing are both bad for the sport. Both are against the rules of the game. Both are considered cheating and a punishable offense.

I don't understand the point in continually comparing the two. It's like trying to decide which is less bad between colon cancer or lung cancer.

No one knows how many other teams are doing this, but there has been the most smoke around the Astros and the Red Sox, and those are the 2 teams who were caught. Even if 20 of the remaining 28 teams are involved in similar cheating, people are always going to care about the teams who used cheating to win. No one cares about the cyclist who was doping and finished 10th in the Tour de France; they care about Lance Armstrong. No one cares about the MLB player who was juicing and hit 10 HRs in 2001; they care about Barry Bonds.

If your stance is that sign stealing is not as bad as steroids, then that's a stupid bar to set for integrity. If your stance is that sign stealing is bad but everyone is doing it, then maybe your club should be a little smarter about not banging on trash cans for everyone to hear and then getting caught red handed.

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

PEDs and sign stealing are both bad for the sport. Both are against the rules of the game. Both are considered cheating and a punishable offense.

I don't understand the point in continually comparing the two. It's like trying to decide which is less bad between colon cancer or lung cancer.

No one knows how many other teams are doing this, but there has been the most smoke around the Astros and the Red Sox, and those are the 2 teams who were caught. Even if 20 of the remaining 28 teams are involved in similar cheating, people are always going to care about the teams who used cheating to win. No one cares about the cyclist who was doping and finished 10th in the Tour de France; they care about Lance Armstrong. No one cares about the MLB player who was juicing and hit 10 HRs in 2001; they care about Barry Bonds.

If your stance is that sign stealing is not as bad as steroids, then that's a stupid bar to set for integrity. If your stance is that sign stealing is bad but everyone is doing it, then maybe your club should be a little smarter about not banging on trash cans for everyone to hear and then getting caught red handed.

My stance is that a network plastering "Survey: Majority of fans believe Astros should be stripped of title" but none of these other results on the Bottom Line all weekend is a manipulative choice meant to trigger certain emotions in viewers.  

• Like 2

offered without comment:

Astros To Interview Eduardo Perez For Managerial Vacancy

By Steve Adams | January 20, 2020 at 1:35pm CDT

The Astros are interested in former big leaguer Eduardo Perez as they seek a new manager to replace the recently fired A.J. Hinch, reports Andy Martino of SNY.tv (Twitter link). Perez will interview tomorrow, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (via Twitter).

Perez, 50, should be plenty familiar with the organization after serving as former manager Bo Porter’s bench coach during the 2013 season. He was lined up to serve as Houston’s first base coach in 2014 but ultimately opted to step away from that role, citing a desire to spend more time with family. He also spent two years as the hitting coach in Miami (2011-12) and has managed in the Puerto Rican Winter League in addition to managing Team Colombia in the 2013 World Baseball Classic.

Beyond his coaching experience and his 13-year MLB career (1993-2006), Perez is of course well-known for his time as a host and analyst on ESPN and for MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM. It’s been more than five years since he suited up in a big league dugout, although he’s been a popular managerial candidate over the past couple of offseasons. The Blue Jays interviewed Perez before hiring Charlie Montoyo last winter, and Perez was reportedly the runner-up when the Mets hired Carlos Beltran back in November. Like Hinch and Alex Cora, Beltran was ousted from a managerial job following his role in the 2017 sign-stealing scandal.

Among the other candidates for the Astros’ opening are veteran skippers Buck Showalter, John Gibbons and Dusty Baker. Cubs coach Will Venable, too, is reportedly set to interview.

what do you mean “come a long way”?  The Dusty Baker of renown was distrustful of analytics and you’re absolutely correct, super hard on young pitchers.  

I guess that’s fine with a veteran team but I’d actually prefer someone like Showalter, who by reputation is a little like Nick Saban without the success.   Constantly looking for an edge and disagreeable.  

The whole thing couldn’t have come at a worse time in terms of continuity-the front office has lost so many people over the last few seasons and  Cora was the manager in training.  

12 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

what do you mean “come a long way”?  The Dusty Baker of renown was distrustful of analytics and you’re absolutely correct, super hard on young pitchers.  

I guess that’s fine with a veteran team but I’d actually prefer someone like Showalter, who by reputation is a little like Nick Saban without the success.   Constantly looking for an edge and disagreeable.  

The whole thing couldn’t have come at a worse time in terms of continuity-the front office has lost so many people over the last few seasons and  Cora was the manager in training.  

His tenure with the Nats showed a lot of growth analytically and with the arms. His playing youth is still a problem but we don’t have a that concern to begin with luckily

I think it is weird that they're interviewing managers without a GM in place. Seem like the GM should come first, and that the GM should have a say in the manager hire. 
Has there been any news on the GM front? 
Well they kinda need one before pitchers and catchers report. I guess.

22 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I think it is weird that they're interviewing managers without a GM in place. Seem like the GM should come first, and that the GM should have a say in the manager hire. 

Has there been any news on the GM front? 

Not at all. The manager hire is more important right now because the season starts in several weeks. The new manager is a stop gap anyway, though I'm sure they are being asked questions on how they would deal with the analytics of baseball.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not at all. The manager hire is more important right now because the season starts in several weeks. The new manager is a stop gap anyway, though I'm sure they are being asked questions on how they would deal with the analytics of baseball buzzers and trashcan banging.

• Fuck You 1

I’m getting the uneasy feeling that Crane is winding this era down. Maybe lightning strikes this year or next but he’s not going to add any big, multi year contracts,  Beginning in 2022, this team is going to be middle of the pack in both payroll and talent. 

Edited by TonyTexas