2020 astros offseason

elfenix

1 hour ago, runthebone said:

I think Sabean is viewed as the architect.  Evans couldn't keep it going when they got old.

Evans was in charge of player development when the organization developed Sandoval, Belt, Posey, Panik, Crawford, Cain, and Lincecum among others. I don't want him as the GM here, but he was a key cog in the organization that won 3 WS in 5 years.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

what a complete disaster.  Dusty Baker is a terrible fit for this organization.  He's a well respected and great manager in the right situation.  This isn't it.  

I don’t think we know what kind of organization the Astros will be moving forward. It will be different than the one of the past several years. I just hope Crane doesn’t take it too far the other way. 

Dusty is a respected guy who will play great with the local and national media.  He also managed Barry Bonds so he knows his way around star players.

Concerned that he doesn't appear to be all that into analytics though.

I hope he's our Barry Switzer - takes a team someone else builds and doesn't fuck it up and wins a ring.

Edited by MAROON

.532 winning % is pretty damn good.  Not sure who you classify as "great" just based on winning % but I would guess most people think these managers are "great"

LaRussa - .536

Torre - .538

Sparky - .545

Pinella - .517

Leyland - .506

Showalter - .506

Francona - .542

Lasorda - .526

Maddon - .540

Felipe Alou - .503

Bochy - .497

He also took the Giants to game 7 of the WS....not just the one trip with the Cubs to NLCS. 

Yes he doesn't have a WS ring as a manager yet.  2020 looks to be his year though.   

• Like 8

God damn it. We had the best GM and manager in baseball and now we are stuck with a guy who underachieved with largely the same talent that won the WS from us. I am terrified who we are going to hire as GM. I have been having nightmares it will be 2020 version of Tim Purpura.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

City of CC helping update Whataburger Field

CORPUS CHRISTI - Sweeping changes are coming to Whataburger Field in 2020 thanks to a landmark agreement between the Hooks and the Corpus Christi City Council approved today that allocates $3 million for improvements to the 16-year-old ballpark.

The funding allows the Hooks to move forward with proposed projects including new, extended ballpark safety netting, a state-of-the-art outfield LED video wall, corrosive I-beam and steel repairs, new wall padding, upgrades to player training and clubhouse areas, and enhancements and refurbishments of hospitality areas.

Hinch wasn't the best manger in baseball, he also didn't suck, but that is based on the talent that is on your team.  Hinch sucked dick in Zona...because his teams talent level sucked.  A monkey can manage the best team.  

Now I do agree the Luhnow hit fucking sucks.  GM has a larger impact on the whole scheme of things so it kills to lose him.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ok just Curious but given the guys they mentioned who would have been a "OMG YESSSS" hire? Just wondering because of all the bitching? Bochy has a worse winning % than Dusty. I mean I would have loved Bochy but Dusty was my 2nd option. You guys wanted Bannister or Ausmus? 

Belichick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Now I do agree the Luhnow hit fucking sucks.  GM has a larger impact on the whole scheme of things so it kills to lose him.  

I don't disagree, but I also think the days of Luhnow fleecing other teams in trades were numbered.  Judging by the requested return on our last few trades, it seems like other GMs had become (rightly) wary whenever Jeff came calling and asked for the moon.

That being said, his ability to find talent in the draft and the free agent scrap heap will be tough to replace.

• Like 2

his handling of pitching and the fact that the game, like it or not, is now analytics driven no matter how "old school" you are.  The Astros fired guys and paid their fine.  Outside that they should make zero changed to organizational philosophy.  Promote the best of Luhnow's guys or go hire one of his guys who has moved up within the ranks at another organization, hire a younger analytics driven manager, and keep the train on the tracks.  Just do it without using enhanced sign stealing.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I don't disagree, but I also think the days of Luhnow fleecing other teams in trades were numbered.  Judging by the requested return on our last few trades, it seems like other GMs had become (rightly) wary whenever Jeff came calling and asked for the moon.

That being said, his ability to find talent in the draft and the free agent scrap heap will be tough to replace.

Beyond that, Luhnow had a plan for now and for the future.  That's all gone and I don't have a lot of faith that someone equally good at the job is going to replace him.  I don't have much hope that the Astros will be good beyond the next couple seasons.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Beyond that, Luhnow had a plan for now and for the future.  That's all gone and I don't have a lot of faith that someone equally good at the job is going to replace him.  I don't have much hope that the Astros will be good beyond the next couple seasons.

Same feelings here.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I fully expect the Astros to be terrible in three to five years. Like Royals bad.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

And most of the stars will probably sign elsewhere when their contracts run out, wanting to rehab their name with a fresh start.  Might make the difference in HOF voting for someone like Springer (and thus those who view themselves as potential HOF.)  HOF voters can be fickle and hypocritical POS's.  Finish your career with the Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Mets, or Red Sox (look at how they've pretty much gotten a free pass in 'media' outrage compared to us despite being the original and repeat offenders) and more may be forgiving.

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

He’s a ‘bridge’ manager no doubt, but that is what was needed. 

London Bridge?

Edited by clapclapclap

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

And most of the stars will probably sign elsewhere when their contracts run out, wanting to rehab their name with a fresh start.  Might make the difference in HOF voting for someone like Springer (and thus those who view themselves as potential HOF.)  HOF voters can be fickle and hypocritical POS's.  Finish your career with the Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Mets, or Red Sox (look at how they've pretty much gotten a free pass in 'media' outrage compared to us despite being the original and repeat offenders) and more may be forgiving.

London Bridge?

Springer has almost no shot at the HOF. He's going to be 30 this year and would likely need to have 10 more seasons of 2019 production to get close, which is not likely to happen.

Altuve and Bregman are the best bets for the HOF.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, msbesq said:

Good, stabilizing choice for 1-2 years. He handled the media well during the early Bond steroid years and will do the same for the continual media storm that will follow the team the entire year.

Absolutely, Dusty is a media darling because he will sit with the beat writers and wax-poetic for hours.

Edited by HtownHorn

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

Losing Luhnow was always my biggest concern when this shit popped up. When he wasn't fired, I was relieved. Then pissed Crane fired him. But Crane was the one that hired him in the first place, so I might as well give him the benefit of the doubt. Luhnow is going to turn some other club into a power after his ban is lifted, but the groundwork for the team to be great into the future is still in place. The rest of Luhnow's staff is still in the front office. It's not like those guys forgot overnight what they were doing. 

I doubt Luhnow ever works in baseball again. Crane appears to be in cover-his-ass mode and the guy rumored to be the front runner for the GM job might as well have been handpicked by Manfred. There is a lot left in this system but I think the salad days of Astros baseball will be coming to a close sooner than later.  

17 hours ago, MAROON said:

Dusty is a respected guy who will play great with the local and national media.  He also managed Barry Bonds so he knows his way around star players.

Concerned that he doesn't appear to be all that into analytics though.

I hope he's our Barry Switzer - takes a team someone else builds and doesn't fuck it up and wins a ring.

So you want him to completely lose control of the team and be a fucking idiot on top of that?

15 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Is this some sort of self imposed punishment?  Serious WTF hire...

seriously.  it's unreal.  They should just hire one of Luhnow's protégés who has moved up within the ranks either within the astros org or another one, hire a manager similar to Hinch who is well versed in using the analytics.  The astros are built on the front office and team being a cohesive unit.  Dusty is not the guy to keep that bridge in tact.  Virtually every team in the league is now a data driven organization, and it appears the astros are choosing to bomb themselves back into the stone ages.  This will not end well.  Enjoy this season, Astros.  The party is over.  there are a few songs left, but all the hot chicks have left the dance.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ok baker isn’t that bad of a hire. They interviewed bannister and ausmus and neither of them would have been a better hire than dusty baker. Did we ever “officially” interview bochy? I saw a rumor we did but nothing official that it every took place. 

ausmus is at least an analytics guy and a decent bridge hire for now.  I like Dusty Baker, he's just a horrible fit for this organization, or at least, for what the organization has been.  

Edited by pepper brooks

20 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

seriously.  it's unreal.  They should just hire one of Luhnow's protégés who has moved up within the ranks either within the astros org or another one, hire a manager similar to Hinch who is well versed in using the analytics.  The astros are built on the front office and team being a cohesive unit.  Dusty is not the guy to keep that bridge in tact.  Virtually every team in the league is now a data driven organization, and it appears the astros are choosing to bomb themselves back into the stone ages.  This will not end well.  Enjoy this season, Astros.  The party is over.  there are a few songs left, but all the hot chicks have left the dance.  

Nothing is fucked here dude.  You're being very un-dude.  Let's let the season play out.  

Well, maybe some things are fucked, but I'm taking a wait-and-see approach.

Edited by Texas St. Armadillos

It all depends on the analytics staff.. Lunhow didn't discover CFM's spin rate, one of the geeks did. If the new GM keeps the geeks around and he and Dusty listen to the geeks, then we will be fine for a couple more years until the rest of the league is all doing hyper analytics and are caught up. 

11 hours ago, Fozzz said:

I doubt Luhnow ever works in baseball again. Crane appears to be in cover-his-ass mode and the guy rumored to be the front runner for the GM job might as well have been handpicked by Manfred. There is a lot left in this system but I think the salad days of Astros baseball will be coming to a close sooner than later.  

This is what I'm afraid of. I honestly don't care that much about who the manager is...I care a lot more about the GM. Primarily, I just want someone who is forward-thinking and employs a  modern strategy for running an organization. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Lots of raw data in this Twitter thread, but I can't figure out what it means...

My quick takeaway... Altuve was not a fan. Neither was Reddick or McCann.   Kemp is clean.  Springer, Bregman, Correa, and Yuli partook freely.  Jake was all in on the banging.  

• Like 1