2020 astros offseason

elfenix

10 hours ago, MAROON said:

his data files are available to download on that site.  I think what you need to do is say any at bat with a bang is a cheating at bat since no bang could be a fastball.  Then see how those at bats turned out.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say it didn't help.

Everyone was wondering why Bregman would continuously look at meatball sliders right down the middle on a 2-0 count. He new the slider was coming wanted to wait for the fastball.

19 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

I’m mostly of the mind that it didn’t help, but then I see Cam Maybin get a third of his season RBIs in his first two weeks with the Astros.  So I don’t know that it didn’t help.   And that’s what sucks about this whole deal.   

The Maybin stuff intrigues me.  We've been led to believe that what the Astros were doing is an affront to the game of baseball and players across the league are appalled by what we were doing, yet veteran Cameron Maybin strolls in mid-season and immediately becomes one of the most prolific "bang"ers?  Just like that?  

9 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

wasn't it springer that didn't even like the advanced scouting?  he just liked to see ball hit ball?

can't imagine the trash can getting in his head was a good thing.

I am guessing he was locked in enough it likely didn't even register with him.  I know there is zero shot I would have been able to hear any of it as I would get so focused on the pitcher I didn't hear anything, not even my manager yelling at me.  once I stepped in the box I had no room for distraction.  it was all about trying to pick up the pitch and determine backspin or sidespin in a few hundredths of a second.  

20 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

I am guessing he was locked in enough it likely didn't even register with him.  I know there is zero shot I would have been able to hear any of it as I would get so focused on the pitcher I didn't hear anything, not even my manager yelling at me.  once I stepped in the box I had no room for distraction.  it was all about trying to pick up the pitch and determine backspin or sidespin in a few hundredths of a second.  

The mental aspect of it is probably why it didn't even work. Doesn't change the fact it was an attempt at cheating, but as soon as teams suspected something the efficacy was shot. Imagine being a professional hitter who's using this system. First few times it works, every signal is correct. But what happens the very first time the trash can bangs (or doesn't bang) and the signal is incorrect? From that moment forward the only thing the system is doing is introducing more doubt a half second before the pitcher starts his delivery. That's a very bad thing for a hitter.

Same thing happened to the 1951 Giants during their comeback. They cheated basically the exact same way but their home splits were worse after their system started, not better, that season.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Scraps said:
20 hours ago, MAROON said:
his data files are available to download on that site.  I think what you need to do is say any at bat with a bang is a cheating at bat since no bang could be a fastball.  Then see how those at bats turned out.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say it didn't help.

I bet it helped Marwin. He used it alot and had career numbers

There was a bang in the 9th inning when he faced Janzen. But maybe that was just the crack of the bat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The Maybin stuff intrigues me.  We've been led to believe that what the Astros were doing is an affront to the game of baseball and players across the league are appalled by what we were doing, yet veteran Cameron Maybin strolls in mid-season and immediately becomes one of the most prolific "bang"ers?  Just like that?  

Maybin's best offensive season was last year with the Yankee's with special assistant to the GM Beltran in the organization.

He nailed that press conference, he had zero issues naming all the Astro greats and even answered the last question In ‘Spanish’. Full hard on. 

all in. My minimum expectations are back to back World Series Championships !

#teamdusty 

I might get a dusty baker tattoo this weekend !

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Mez2 said:

I thought it was "Swangin and Bangin"?

Dusty mentioned Too Short in his press conference,  he's not Fat Pat but I'll allow it

Slow Loud And Bangin', all in my trunk 
Trunk full of funk, I ain't never been a punk 
I blow on skunk, I blow on doja 
Military minded, I'm a motherfucking soldier

-Mo City Don

• Like 1

I won't quip with the voters for choosing Larry Walker with the year he had in 1997, but Biggio easily could have been the MVP that year and only finished 5th in the voting. Bagwell finished 4th, which probably stole some votes from Biggio.

Fun fact: Biggio hit into a double play in the first game of the 1998 season after going all of 1997 without a GIDP.