2020 astros offseason

elfenix

1 hour ago, Scraps said:
2 hours ago, runthebone said:
I looked at our opening day lineup, and this team is still fucking awesome. 

Yep that's why i didn't understand all the pussy bitching going on in here a week ago like we are gonna go 72-90 or some shit

It all depends on how these guys deal with the adversity they are going to face in other ballparks. I think the hostility is going to be off the charts. Dealing with the media and fans when they are away from Minute Maid is going to present unique challenges during a 162 game season. 

The XFL team here has been using that hashtag already for a month. Good job Astros not actually looking to see whether anybody was using it but I guess stealing is what we do now.

Apparently Taubman and Luhnow also ran the marketing dept...our pets heads are falling off

I can get on board with #FTH but “for the H” isn’t going to be what it stands for...maybe that’s actually what they’re going for.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scraps said:
2 hours ago, runthebone said:
I looked at our opening day lineup, and this team is still fucking awesome. 

Yep that's why i didn't understand all the pussy bitching going on in here a week ago like we are gonna go 72-90 or some shit

pussybitching is the worst

• Like 2

Yahoo Sports featured arguably the dumbest article ever today.

Author's argument was basically that the Astros hiring Click is unfair to Rays,  especially this close to Spring Training. Further, that we should have hired somebody who wasn't important to another team, b/c it transfers some of the negative effects of our punishment to another organization.

I don't even want to link it here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Yahoo Sports featured arguably the dumbest article ever today.

Author's argument was basically that the Astros hiring Click is unfair to Rays,  especially this close to Spring Training. Further, that we should have hired somebody who wasn't important to another team, b/c it transfers some of the negative effects of our punishment to another organization.

I don't even want to link it here.

Yeah, this was a common refrain on /r/baseball yesterday. How unfair that the astros were able to hire someone from another team right before spring training. Maybe we should've just promoted the guy who makes ice cream sundaes in mini-batting helmets?

Yeah, this was a common refrain on /r/baseball yesterday. How unfair that the astros were able to hire someone from another team right before spring training. Maybe we should've just promoted the guy who makes ice cream sundaes in mini-batting helmets?

As long as it’s the guy outside section 107 and not 415.
415 guy sucks.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Huh? How would Pence fit on this roster? They need to be getting rid of a veteran OF (Reddick), not adding more...

agree.  if you're going to sign an aging Pence why not just keep Marisnick?  Jake was cheaper.  Pence can actually hit, but still, he's past his prime despite having a great year last year.  I personally like Pence a ton too.  Great guy off the field.  just not sure this makes much sense.  

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

agree.  if you're going to sign an aging Pence why not just keep Marisnick?  Jake was cheaper.  Pence can actually hit, but still, he's past his prime despite having a great year last year.  I personally like Pence a ton too.  Great guy off the field.  just not sure this makes much sense.  

Because Marisnick is a FA after the season, and the Astros got something of value for trading him. While Corona and Taylor may never do anything with the Astros, it was worth taking a chance on 12 years of control on a 19 year OF coming off a .868 OPS and a pitcher that likely will be in the bullpen at some point this season.

Depending on the contract Pence gets, he might be cheaper than Jake anyway. Plus the Astros have a defensive CF in Straw that is perhaps just as good.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Because Marisnick is a FA after the season, and the Astros got something of value for trading him. While Corona and Taylor may never do anything with the Astros, it was worth taking a chance on 12 years of control on a 19 year OF coming off a .868 OPS and a pitcher that likely will be in the bullpen at some point this season.

Depending on the contract Pence gets, he might be cheaper than Jake anyway. Plus the Astros have a defensive CF in Straw that is perhaps just as good.

Straw is nowhere near the defensive CF that Jake is.  Very few are.  

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

well...that's like, your opinion, man.  Ha.  I forgot about Jake being a FA.  Good call and refutation of my idiocy.  

Unless they move Reddick, there’s no way they’re adding Pence. They need to move him regardless for both salary reasons and to allow Tucker to play everyday. But even then, Pence is a backup/platoon bat who gives Tucker or even Brantley a break against lefties.

I don’t know, seems like a pointless acquisition to me.

19 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

what are pence's defensive metrics like?  he seems like a dh type at this point, and we gots one of those already.

even if reddick's gone, i'm not sure how this works.  and i'm a pence fan.

is there some sort of 1b rotation on the table?

Well, I had a dream last night of going into a McDonalds and having to help paramedics prep an injured George Springer for an ambulance ride.  For some reason they had to lay him onto a large egg shell type mattress (not weighed) and place another on top of him, ended up sorta looking like a giant slice of lasagna.  And then we had a long walk wheeling the lasagna gurney out to the ambulance (no idea why it couldn't access a McDonald's parking lot) and he was calm and talkative (a little muffled), really cool but saying it was going to be a long rehab.

Maybe Crane, Click or Clack had the same dream?

Edited by clapclapclap