2020 astros offseason

elfenix

Finally watched the interview. Fuck him. I hope he is done coaching, but he’ll get another gig.  He lawyered up on the question about 2019 and players wearing buzzers, and Verducci didn’t even follow up after that ridiculous answer. Should have asked him “are you aware of any of your players wearing buzzers in 2019...yes or no.”  Horrible interviewing there. 

Edited by cabowabo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I far prefer how Luhnow is handling this. Hinch punched Astros fans in the gut by saying the title is tainted. Luhnow has kept his loyalty to the players, fans and organization. That’s what’s important. I would run through a wall for Luhnow. Fuck Hinch and the king rat of them all Mike Fiers. Htown - ride or die with this team. 

Yeah, and you're a well-documented moron -- Luhnow is lying his ass off, still, and everyone paying attention can see that and he looks like an idiot trying to continue to deny.  Read that WSJ article I posted on the last page.  

• Like 3

The baseball media is fully engulfed in Astros Derangement Syndrome. It feels like just yesterday when this organization was getting pummeled by the Fangraphs and Keith Law for being dumb dinosaurs. Now we learn they had an elaborate analysis of catcher's signals called Codebreaker and these same writers are clutching their pearls about those cheating Astros.

I can't wait to fuck this season in its ass.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

The baseball media is fully engulfed in Astros Derangement Syndrome. It feels like just yesterday when this organization was getting pummeled by the Fangraphs and Keith Law for being dumb dinosaurs. Now we learn they had an elaborate analysis of catcher's signals called Codebreaker and these same writers are clutching their pearls about those cheating Astros.

I can't wait to fuck this season in its ass.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

What if it turns out we’re bad?

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Hinch punched Astros fans in the gut by saying the title is tainted. 

No he didn't.

Question: Is the Astros' 2017 title tainted?

Hinch: "It's a fair question. I think everyone is going to have to draw their own conclusions. I hope over time, and the demonstration of the talent of this team and the players and the careers that are being had -- we have some of the best players in the entire sport all together on the same team -- I hope over time, it's proven that it wasn't. But I understand the question."

And he's right.  People are going to say we won because we cheated even though we're still going to kick ass this year.  Who gives a shit?

Edited by WBT
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

A team that won 107 last year doesn't need to add shit to not be bad

We need LMJ to come back strong, Urquidy to build on last year and both Verlander and Rainman to drink from the fountain of youth one more year.  Oh and glass pussy playing at least 130 games wouldn’t fucking hurt.

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

The way Codebreaker worked was simple: Somebody would watch an in-game live feed and log the catcher’s signs into the spreadsheet, as well as the type of pitch that was actually thrown. With that information, Codebreaker determined how the signs corresponded with different pitches. Once decoded, that information would be communicated through intermediaries to a baserunner, who would relay them to the hitter.

Let me get this straight.  They watched the catcher's signs and then watched what pitch was thrown?  And we needed an excel-based application to determine that there was a correlation between the signs and the pitch thrown?  Sounds like we had ourselves an Alan fucking Turing on the case.

Edited by WBT

Listening to the ticket in Dallas driving home the other day and they were having a rangers round table and one of the guys said with supreme confidence “the Astros will absolutely take one or two steps back, they have no farm system anymore and guys like bregman won’t be hitting as well since he won’t know what’s coming”

of course they then said the rangers will win close to 90 games(lullllllzzzzzz) also said the same shit last year.

maybe my head is in the sand but I still think the Astros will win close to 100 games and these reporters are in wishful thinking mode and don’t get that these guys don’t melt down like 12 year old fans depressed and embarrassed and won’t be able to recover. I fully expect the Astros to destroy ass and be pissed off at what’s being said.

Let me get this straight.  They watched the catcher's signs and then watched what pitch was thrown?  And we needed an excel-based application to determine that there was a correlation between the signs and the pitch thrown?  Sounds like we had ourselves an Alan fucking Turing on the case.

Diamond is a good writer for the WSJ but he could have done better elaborating that the application was most useful when a runner was on second.
I took the part in bold to be most useful for deciphering the catcher’s multiple signs with a runner on.
He said as much later in the article talking about an “intermediary” would relay the cracked code to a runner who would then signal on field to the batter.

I remember rumors about Altuve’s tell to the batter (when he was on 2nd) being taking his helmet off and/or looking out to CF.

An algorithm would absolutely quickly help crack a code of ~5-8 signs being put down per pitch.

As expected, the media is fixated on AJ's "It depends on the meaning of the word 'buzzer'" line.  It could be that Hinch was unaware of any buzzer but wanted to stay vague because he can't be for sure what they did or didn't do without his knowledge.  But it does have the whiff of only admitting to what has been proven and knowing there is more.  Not a good look.

Get used to it, sooner or later they are going to tag Altuve as Baby Ruth Buzzy.

Edited by clapclapclap

14 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

As expected, the media is fixated on AJ's "It depends on the meaning of the word 'buzzer'" line.  It could be that Hinch was unaware of any buzzer but wanted to stay vague because he can't be for sure what they did or didn't do without his knowledge.  But it does have the whiff of only admitting to what has been proven and knowing there is more.  Not a good look.

Get used to it, sooner or later they are going to tag Altuve as Baby Ruth Buzzy.

Try as they may, the Yankees are never gonna get back 2017...or 2019 for that matter.

Fuck em.

Edited by Iceman

18 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

The Astros cheated in 2017 and ended up winning World Series. 

Those are facts. Those things happened.

Whether it matters is up to the individual, but from what I can tell from listening to media and fans of other teams, the 2017 championship is most definitely tainted.

As an Astros fan, however, 2017 was still bad ass and so was winning the World Series. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Facts they would have made playoffs in 2017 regardless of sign stealing.
Facts pitching shut down the Yankees in alcs
Facts won games 2 and 7 in LA.
Facts they won more road games in 2017

It isnt tainted.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

You can call sign stealing cheating. It's OK. We cheated. We also got away with it. 

Burn.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:02 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

I far prefer how Luhnow is handling this. Hinch punched Astros fans in the gut by saying the title is tainted. Luhnow has kept his loyalty to the players, fans and organization. That’s what’s important. I would run through a wall for Luhnow. Fuck Hinch and the king rat of them all Mike Fiers. Htown - ride or die with this team. 

Holy shit, every time I think I've seen it all from you I come away amazed at how wrong you are about EVERYTHING.

From all accounts, Luhnow created this mess by installing a mistrusting and cutthroat culture of "win at all costs."  He is lying through his teeth in his comments about the situation, and he will never own up to any sort of wrongdoing.  He's a narcissistic, dishonest prick who has damaged the Astros' reputation forever.  We deserved to get singled out because of the Taubman shit, and he created that culture and hired those sorts of people.  Although I suppose you probably cheered Taubman on, and felt that he got unjustly fired.  This is the boys' club after all, am I right?  

AJ apologized like a fucking man, and you don't like it.  That tells me all I need to know about your character.  Please go back to not caring about the Astros - these threads were much better then.  

• Like 8
  • Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Holy shit, every time I think I've seen it all from you I come away amazed at how wrong you are about EVERYTHING.

From all accounts, Luhnow created this mess by installing a mistrusting and cutthroat culture of "win at all costs."  He is lying through his teeth in his comments about the situation, and he will never own up to any sort of wrongdoing.  He's a narcissistic, dishonest prick who has damaged the Astros' reputation forever.  We deserved to get singled out because of the Taubman shit, and he created that culture and hired those sorts of people.  Although I suppose you probably cheered Taubman on, and felt that he got unjustly fired.  This is the boys' club after all, am I right?  

AJ apologized like a fucking man, and you don't like it.  That tells me all I need to know about your character.  Please go back to not caring about the Astros - these threads were much better then.  

Luhnow created the best run organization in all of baseball. I want a fucking cutthroat organization committed at all costs to winning. Isn’t that why we bitch about Cal and the Texans that they aren’t and are content with mediocrity. Luhnow is the reason why we finally won a WS. He has not been a rat and hasn’t sold out the players and the fans. Loyalty is what I find most important in one’s character, I don’t give a shit that you disagree with my values. Luhnow had us set up to win with guys like Taubman who I met personally and was an incredible asset. He acted like an idiot in the locker room and got fired for comments that would never have been reported by older reporters. Fuck you and your holier than thou attitude. AJ didn’t apologize like a man as you say. He could have shown contrition while not selling out and shitting on the accomplishments of the players and most importantly throwing shade on the only title we have won. Fuck him and fuck you. I am a Luhnow fan until the day I die. No Houston team will ever get anyone as good as him as GM.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Fuck You 6

Jerome Solomon nails it when it comes to Hinch:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/jerome-solomon/article/Solomon-A-J-Hinch-whiffs-when-it-comes-to-15038381.php

Hinch’s reply to the question of whether the Astros’ 2017 World Series championship is tainted is the second-worst answer possible.

“That’s a fair question,” Hinch said. “And I think everyone’s gonna have to draw their own conclusion.”

What?

I mean, of course it’s a fair question, and everyone will draw their own conclusion, but I expected the manager of the Astros’ first World Series champion to emphatically deny that the title was tainted.

There are three sides to this:

1. The Astros’ World Series title is tainted.
2. The Astros’ World Series title isn’t tainted.
3. I’m not sure if the Astros’ World Series title is tainted, but that’s a fair question.

Hinch was there every day, and he saw the hard work put in by the talented team that resulted in a championship. That grind should never be dismissed.

He knows how good of a team he had. He knows firsthand that the collection of talent in that clubhouse deserved to win that World Series.

Spare me the thought that he is being reasonable to baseball fans who believe the Astros stole a title. That’s the wrong side for Hinch to be on.

He isn’t being reasonable as far as his players, the Astros organization and the city of Houston’s baseball fans are concerned.

Hinch knows darn well that the Astros didn’t win the World Series because they stole signs and banged trash cans.

If Hinch is in any way unsure if the World Series victory is tainted, his inaction at the time he learned of the sign-stealing is particularly pathetic.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:
link to bid on that ?

It was made for the Karbach Brewing golf and charity event that takes place today. Money raised goes to their BPMS150 cycling team fund raising. Unfortunately no link to bid online.

it came out great

• Like 1

I think LMC should accuse the Yankees of stealing signs in 2017.  They clearly knew he was going to throw a curve ball.

The postgame interview with sparks/strom is still one of my favorite moments from that postseason:

“Strommy, strommy... my man! TWENTY FOUR freaking curveballs in a row to end it. What?!?!”

“Yep. Lance was dialed in. We just kept going to the well. They weren’t going to touch him tonight.”

(Or something to the effect.)