2020 astros offseason

elfenix

12 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There's no national appetite to look at anyone else. 

I completely agree with most of what you wrote, but not this.  Manfred has no appetite, but the media appetite is there (you seriously believe there are no writers who would love to break a story on systematic cheating by the Yankees?), but it took Mike Fiers for this story to come out.  You think any player wants to be the next Mike Fiers after the way he's been treated?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

This is all so stupid.  Nobody hates the Astros because they are jealous of them.  You are the fucking aggy of the MLB.  You've won 1 championship in your entire history.  That championship is the most tainted championship in the history of the sport.  You are equal to aggy sitting in a room crowing about your 1 championship to Alabama, Clemson, Texas, Ohio State and USC.

The reason everyone hates you is because you are the most tone deaf organization in the sport.  Your team has almost literally come out and said that winning is more important than the safety of women or even being a decent human being.  Your front office has lied repeatedly.  That's why you don't get the benefit of the doubt.

Do you want me to congratulate or apologize that the Rangers don't have a tainted championship?

Edited by clapclapclap
BTW bro, Ag football has been trying since 1894, the Astros only go back to 1962
  • Like 1

Did you seriously just compare stealing signs to institutionalized rape?

When you say it like that, it seems like it should be really easy for a fan of a team that cheated their way to a championship to just admit it, take your medicine, and not make a bunch of bullshit excuses.

Yet here we are.
  • Fuck You 1

When you say it like that, it seems like it should be really easy for a fan of a team that cheated their way to a championship to just admit it, take your medicine, and not make a bunch of bullshit excuses.

Yet here we are.
What excuses?

Scoreboard motherfucker. The only taint here is the whiff your bitchass team gets of ours while we kick all kinds of ass again.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I completely agree with most of what you wrote, but not this.  Manfred has no appetite, but the media appetite is there (you seriously believe there are no writers who would love to break a story on systematic cheating by the Yankees?), but it took Mike Fiers for this story to come out.  You think any player wants to be the next Mike Fiers after the way he's been treated?

So where was the natural follow up in that article after the Beltran quote?  It's been a month since Logan Morrison offered up 4 specific other teams that he knows cheated and *crickets*. If I didn't follow Astros-centric accounts on Twitter, I would have never seen Joe Musgrove's quote about how widespread this shit is.  I know logically the media should care, but I sure as hell haven't seen it.

I understand that the Astros have lost the benefit of the doubt, but I can't understand why nobody is seemingly even trying to expand this probe.  Instead, here's the 46th different article where a pitcher tells us that he's pissed off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So where was the natural follow up in that article after the Beltran quote?  It's been a month since Logan Morrison offered up 4 specific other teams that he knows cheated and *crickets*. If I didn't follow Astros-centric accounts on Twitter, I would have never seen Joe Musgrove's quote about how widespread this shit is.  I know logically the media should care, but I sure as hell haven't seen it.

I understand that the Astros have lost the benefit of the doubt, but I can't understand why nobody is seemingly even trying to expand this probe. 

Fiers served it up for Rosenthal and Dreilech on a plate with details.  IIRC, Morrison deleted his tweet within hours, and never provided any details.  WIthout Fiers-like cooperation (which will never happen again), any media investigation is going to run into dead ends.  And like I've said over and over, Manfred is one of the biggest villains in this.  I'd rather the media go after him than another team that was only using the video room to get signs to relay to the dugout for when a runner gets on 2nd.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Well MLB is still investigating Boston, yet the only team the media is focusing on is Houston.

Hell, the Dodgers were so butt hurt about 2017 and 2018 according to their players, yet rolled out the red carpet for Betts, career year in 2018, and Price because they will help them get over their 32 year drought.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Hell, the Dodgers were so butt hurt about 2017 and 2018 according to their players, yet rolled out the red carpet for Betts, career year in 2018, and Price because they will help them get over their 32 year drought.

is clayton kershaw not pitching in the postseason anymore?

i could've hit this fucking cement mixer. 

Edited by Mez2
  • Like 1

Twitter is infuriating with all of these jagoffs ranting against the Astros. The press conference was a disaster. Should have just shut up and said MLB made their ruling and that's that. Going back to the Taubman mess they had the right initial strategy of deflecting and deny and I will take Luhnow's strategy any day of the week over this shit. The fans here in Htown love this team and except for holier than thou pussies like Planet Houston back this team no matter what. Fuck the rest of the country and jealous Yankees and Dodgers fans. Fuck em all to hell. God damn it I want the season to start and shut everyone up. I hope Mike Fiers gets taunted and spit on wherever he goes. Fuck snitches.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

15 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Yes, fans of the New York Yankees are jealous of the Astros for winning a World Series.

Nah they mad because of 2015, 2017, and 2019.

What I find hilarious is when their fans talk about 2017, like they weren't one of the teams cheating with technology in the dugout. There was a caller yesterday on MLB that specifically mentioned Boston and the watches in 2017 twice, but couldn't bring himself to throw his own team into the same boat.

Not too mention that twitter troll account also said that most of the Yankees were using buzzers, too. I have yet to see 1 national baseball writer ask Boone or Judge about that shit.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Well MLB is still investigating Boston, yet the only team the media is focusing on is Houston.

You want the media to focus on an investigation that they don't know the results of?  So you want columns speculating about what will happen instead of reporting actual news?

Of course they did.  You actually expect pro baseball players to be principled about things?

The Astros players rolled out the red carpet for Verlander even though he had openly criticized sign stealing when he played for Detroit:

Verlander had an audience on Monday, and he wasn’t done.

If the commissioner really wants to speed up the game, he'll look into the epidemic of sign-stealing, Verlander said.

This isn’t the innocent sign-stealing of yore. This is high-tech stuff, involving team video departments and even code-crackers.

“We don't have somebody, but I'm sure teams have a person that can break down signals and codes and they'll have the signs before you even get out there on the mound,” Verlander said.

“It's not about gamesmanship anymore. It used to be, 'Hey, if you can get my signs, good for you.' In the past, if a guy on second (base) was able to decipher it on a few pitches, I guess that was kind of part of the game. I think it's a different level now. It's not good.”

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You want the media to focus on an investigation that they don't know the results of?  So you want columns speculating about what will happen instead of reporting actual news?

Of course they did.  You actually expect pro baseball players to be principled about things?

The Astros players rolled out the red carpet for Verlander even though he had openly criticized sign stealing when he played for Detroit:

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the whole thing.

What is your point with Verlander? He's never been associated with cheating like Betts and Price have, nor did the Astros players cry foul to the media about St. Louis hacking their proprietary database to steal their information.

24 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

nazi-flag.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

Cool, so now the Astros/fans have been compared to child abuse/pedophilia apologists, violent rape supporters, and now Nazis. 

Not because the team stole signs in some baseball games (which is totally legal and mostly celebrated), but because they did it with cameras. 

But no, by all means, this hasn't been blown out of proportion at all. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I've read too many Yankee fan conspiracy theories lately.  Everyone watch this AB and, even with no banging sounds as clues, tell me what pitch you would expect on 2-1.  Especially keep in mind the location of the first two fastballs Chapman threw to fall behind 2-0.

45 minutes ago, WBT said:

I've read too many Yankee fan conspiracy theories lately.  Everyone watch this AB and, even with no banging sounds as clues, tell me what pitch you would expect on 2-1.  Especially keep in mind the location of the first two fastballs Chapman threw to fall behind 2-0.

I actually watched this just a couple of hours ago after I saw someone on twitter saying, "How in the world could Altuve had known that Chapman would throw a 2-1 slider?"

Umm gee, maybe because he had just thrown a 2-0 slider?

Someone else claimed that Altuve ran into the dugout to change his shirt 20 seconds after touching home.  It was actually over 2 minutes, 2 minutes he spent hugging basically everyone on the team.

Shit, they even asked him then and there why he didn't want them tearing his shirt off -- I had forgotten about that.

Edited by Beau Vine

Here's a headline from the WSJ:

Astros Offer Few Apologies for Now Tainted 2017 World Series Victory

Team owner Jim Crane, most players strain to avoid assessing the impact of sign-stealing scandal

Here's some quotes from Astros today:

Spoiler

Bregman: “I have some brief remarks that I would like to share with you all. I am really sorry about the choices that were made by my team, by the organization and by me. I have learned from this and I hope to regain the trust of baseball fans. I would also like to thank the Astros fans for all of their support. We as a team are totally focused on moving forward to the 2020 season. Thank you.”

" especially feel remorse for the impact on our fans and the game of baseball," he [Altuve] said.

"What we did in '17 was wrong. ... ," Correa added. "I'm going to be honest with you: When we first started doing it, it almost felt like it was an advantage. ... But it was definitely wrong. It was definitely wrong and we should have stopped it at the time."

I’m sorry that we’re in this situation today,” George Springer said. “I regret the fact that we are in this situation today. I feel horrible for our sport, our game, our fans, our city, our organization, just fans in general. The way that our team is being viewed, it’s unfortunate. It was unnecessary. We’re going to try to start with today and move forward onto 2020.”

Said Justin Verlander, who joined the 2017 Astros at the Aug. 31 waiver trade deadline: “I wish I had said more. I can’t go back. I can’t reverse my decision. Like I said, I wish I had said more and I didn’t and for that I’m sorry.

But yeah, nice headline..."few apologies"...solid summary. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

55 minutes ago, WBT said:

Everyone watching that game with a baseball IQ over 2 knew what the pitch was going to be.  Like you inferred, Chapman couldn't get his FB over for shit so slider was all he had left.

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Shit, they even asked him then and there why he didn't want them tearing his shirt off -- I had forgotten about that.

There's also video of him having his shirt torn off after the walkoff earlier in the year that he references in that interview.  No buzzer visible.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

As an astros fan that is fucking embarrassed by this whole thing and even contemplated finding a different team to root for until all of the rot is cleaned out of this organization, this is a good point. I SPECIFICALLY remember the MLB TV guys breaking down this AB and discussing how Chapman blew it bc every batter in that situation would be looking for that same pitch. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

So just like the astros?

Won a lot for a few years, claimed to be a world power/champion, and ultimately brought down by their own leadership/officers|players/management?

Weird, I just checked baseball-reference for a list of World Series Champions and it still has the Astros listed as the 2017 winners.  You should inform them of this egregious error.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Here's a headline from the WSJ:

Astros Offer Few Apologies for Now Tainted 2017 World Series Victory

Team owner Jim Crane, most players strain to avoid assessing the impact of sign-stealing scandal

Here's some quotes from Astros today:

Reveal hidden contents

Bregman: “I have some brief remarks that I would like to share with you all. I am really sorry about the choices that were made by my team, by the organization and by me. I have learned from this and I hope to regain the trust of baseball fans. I would also like to thank the Astros fans for all of their support. We as a team are totally focused on moving forward to the 2020 season. Thank you.”

" especially feel remorse for the impact on our fans and the game of baseball," he [Altuve] said.

"What we did in '17 was wrong. ... ," Correa added. "I'm going to be honest with you: When we first started doing it, it almost felt like it was an advantage. ... But it was definitely wrong. It was definitely wrong and we should have stopped it at the time."

I’m sorry that we’re in this situation today,” George Springer said. “I regret the fact that we are in this situation today. I feel horrible for our sport, our game, our fans, our city, our organization, just fans in general. The way that our team is being viewed, it’s unfortunate. It was unnecessary. We’re going to try to start with today and move forward onto 2020.”

Said Justin Verlander, who joined the 2017 Astros at the Aug. 31 waiver trade deadline: “I wish I had said more. I can’t go back. I can’t reverse my decision. Like I said, I wish I had said more and I didn’t and for that I’m sorry.

But yeah, nice headline..."few apologies"...solid summary. 

Our players were asked if they should apologize to the Dodgers and Yankees by reporters. Give me a fucking break. God this shit pisses me off. 

20 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

So just like the astros?

Won a lot for a few years, claimed to be a world power/champion, and ultimately brought down by their own leadership/officers|players/management?

How were they brought down?

No players punished. No wins vacated. No hardware revoked. Loved by their fans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The fans here in Htown love this team and except for holier than thou pussies like Planet Houston back this team no matter what.

Fuck you - I do back this team no matter what. I back the players that play the fucking game.  And I back AJ Hinch no matter what. Those that have been around these threads for a lot longer than your mercurial ass can testify to that.

I do not love Luhnow and his arrogant bunch of pricks no matter what.  And I don’t love the team’s handling of Taubman, or this scandal, or anything else that’s happened recently from a PR perspective.  But they shouldn’t lie like that fucking snake Luhnow (and Beltran) as you seem to think they should. 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Like 5