2020 astros offseason

elfenix

Any Coach or Player saying shit pisses me off. They are OK with there way of stealing signs or the use of steroids etc.. They don't say shit when it is benefiting them. If fans want to be pissed I  can somewhat understand. 

But all this holier than thou shit is bullshit. Teams are always looking for an edge. As I said in the beginning sign stealing is part of the game that is why they try to hide it or change sign sequence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UTHornFan014 said:

Cody Bellinger still butthurt. The sign stealing definitely caused him to set a world series record for most strikeouts.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28701586/nl-mvp-cody-bellinger-says-astros-jose-altuve-stole-2017-al-mvp-aaron-judge

Bellinger hit .143 with 17 K's in the 2017 world series then backed up that shit stain performance with a .063, 6 k's in 16 AB performance in the 2018 WS. The guy is in pure deflection mode - he has proved he cannot handle the big stage and may have single handily cost his team two titles due to his choke jobs.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Bellinger thing kind of gets me boiling.

Hey motherfucker I bet you aren't crying about Mookie you piece of shit. He was on a cheating ass team that beat you and won the 18 MVP.....but its cool cause he is on your team now you cocksucker emoji849.png

This is what I posted earlier. Would love for one of those holier than thou reporters to ask him about Betts and Price just to get him to out himself as a hypocrite on live TV.

The Astros must have used advanced sign stealing techniques that forced Bellinger to swing and miss at damn near every low and inside breaking ball they threw to him.

That jackass couldn't have hit a beach ball in the world series.

Edited by kevwun

23 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Going back to the Taubman mess they had the right initial strategy of deflecting and deny and I will take Luhnow's strategy any day of the week over this shit. 

This is the single worst idea I have ever heard on this board. They should have stuck with the strategy that immediately blew up in their face when contradicted by eyewitnesses? Jesus, it's one thing to be Machiavellian if you're actually good at it, but you're advocating for the strategy that is both morally/ethically shitty AND totally ineffective?

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 4

Any Coach or Player saying shit pisses me off. They are OK with there way of stealing signs or the use of steroids etc.. They don't say shit when it is benefiting them. If fans want to be pissed I  can somewhat understand. 
But all this holier than thou shit is bullshit. Teams are always looking for an edge. As I said in the beginning sign stealing is part of the game that is why they try to hide it or change sign sequence. 
Yep and I gaurantee some doofus who is gonna spout off will be outed in the future for cheating too
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mbtex said:

This is why MLB gave the Astros a wrist slap. They know the league is built on an "if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying," culture.

Cheating is part of the game. Everyone in baseball knows that. Fans do, too. It's the talking head drama queens that wear me out. But I get it. This whole thing has been great for interest in baseball. 

It's sign stealing. 

Oh. No. Not. That.

• Like 1

It's not about sign stealing-that's been around since catchers started throwing down signs started using indicators to confuse baserunners who may be looking.  The issue is using technology the way they did to steal signs, not stealing signs itself.   We used to try to steal signs in high school if were in a position to do so.

• Like 1

Just now, Gunsup said:

It's not about sign stealing-that's been around since catchers started throwing down signs started using indicators to confuse baserunners who may be looking.  The issue is using technology the way they did to steal signs, not stealing signs itself.   We used to try to steal signs in high school if were in a position to do so.

The technology provided by MLB.

1 hour ago, MAROON said:

Bellinger hit .143 with 17 K's in the 2017 world series then backed up that shit stain performance with a .063, 6 k's in 16 AB performance in the 2018 WS. The guy is in pure deflection mode - he has proved he cannot handle the big stage and may have single handily cost his team two titles due to his choke jobs.

He's just pissed because he knows that even if he knew what pitch was coming he would still wiff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Gunsup said:

So what? In the end, it's still just sign stealing. It's not that big of a deal, as evidenced by the league's reaction.

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Can't wait for this season to start.  Hopefully, all this nonsense will give our bats a spark that was missing in the playoffs last year.   Astros are the evil empire now.  Just need to play like it.

It's a good thing we made moves to get better in the offseason.

Wait.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

He's just pissed because he knows that even if he knew what pitch was coming he would still wiff.

Bellinger did know what pitch was coming.  So did everyone else because he could never lay off it and he could never hit it.  He is an automatic swing and miss machine when pitched low and inside.  Same shit in 2018 and 2019 as well.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's a good thing we made moves to get better in the offseason.

Wait.

How much better can they get?  Have enough bats.  Need a pitcher or three.  Can make a trade in the regular season for that.

107 wins is tied for 7th place all time.  Cole needs to be replaced, and the bullpen needs to get better.  Other than that, there isn't a whole lot of room for improvement.

I know we'd love to have the entire AL all star team in an Astros uniform, but that shit just doesn't happen even for the Yankees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunsup said:

It’s not about using technology to steal them either. You can watch game footage to decipher them and go into a game armed with that information.

So there’s no real rule against stealing signs. No rule against using cameras. No rule against relaying info to other players. 

The “line” is using technology to decipher them in real time and relaying that. Because....uhhh, reasons.

It’s envy at the root of this. It’s the Astros getting their comeuppance for being better than everyone else at everything except getting caught.

13 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

How much better can they get?  Have enough bats.  Need a pitcher or three.  Can make a trade in the regular season for that.

107 wins is tied for 7th place all time.  Cole needs to be replaced, and the bullpen needs to get better.  Other than that, there isn't a whole lot of room for improvement.

I know we'd love to have the entire AL all star team in an Astros uniform, but that shit just doesn't happen even for the Yankees.

These are all good points. It's mainly the pitching staff I'm worried about.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

These are all good points. It's mainly the pitching staff I'm worried about.

Me too.  Either Greinke, JV, or both could also have a severe decline this year.  Need McCullers to pitch well, Urquidy to keep it up, and Whitley to shit or get off the pot.  Also need to limit JV's innings so he can have some gas left in the tank for the playoffs.  Fuck the Cy Young chase.  There also isn't a single pitcher in the bullpen in whom I have confidence.  All the ones we have left looked like deer in the headlights in the playoffs.

I have a Nats fan friend who's normally a super stand-up guy. The other day he posted yet another anti-Astros article and I defended the Astros and brought up how strange it was that Beltran apparently only cheated with the Astros and never with the Yankees and so on. After a little banter back and forth he texted me to complain that my pro-Astros posts were driving people away from his Facebook page.

So you just have to accept that the Astros and Astros alone have been stealing signs or GTFO I guess.

35 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The whining from opposing fan bases is the best part about all of this. 

Especially Arlington.

I agree with this and this is why I didn’t like the apology. All these teams and fans want to be pissed because for three years they got their ass beat by a team that didn’t give a fuck about them or their pedigree.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I have a Nats fan friend who's normally a super stand-up guy. The other day he posted yet another anti-Astros article and I defended the Astros and brought up how strange it was that Beltran apparently only cheated with the Astros and never with the Yankees and so on. After a little banter back and forth he texted me to complain that my pro-Astros posts were driving people away from his Facebook page.

So you just have to accept that the Astros and Astros alone have been stealing signs or GTFO I guess.

You should get a new friend

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mbtex said:

It’s like cheating in cfb.  The holier than thou types can get annoying.  It’s a fucking big part of the game.  Watch something else if you don’t like it.  

11 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Good thing we made moves to shore up the staff in the offseason.

Strom was on the radio yesterday and basically said Peacock isn’t in the mix for a starting spot. This was before the injury news. He said the plan now is that the 5th spot is a battle among Pruitt, James and Framber. 

46 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

He monitors his Facebook traffic?  Is he a cuck?

9 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Is your friend 12 years old?

Full article

Carlos Correa wanted to talk. He had seen what the Dodgers’ Cody Bellinger had said on Friday. About how the Astros stole the 2017 World Series from the Dodgers. About how José Altuve stole the American League MVP Award in ’17 from the Yankees’ Aaron Judge. About how the Astros have been “cheating for three years.”

Correa had been the most remorseful and eloquent of the Astros’ players when the team spoke publicly for the first time on Thursday. He was more passionate and forceful on Saturday morning in an interview that will air later on MLB Network, defending the legitimacy of the Astros’ only World Series title and, in particular, defending the legitimacy of Altuve.

Here is a partial transcript of the interview, edited slightly for length and clarity.

Correa: Well, usually I don’t have problems when people talk about 2017 and about what happened that year because, honestly, we were wrong. Everything that happened that year was absolutely wrong, and we obviously show remorse for that because we really feel bad about everything that happened in 2017.

The problem I have is when players go out there and they don’t know the facts, they’re not informed about the situation and they just go out there and go on camera and just talk. With me, that doesn’t seem right. It doesn’t seem right at all. So when (Bellinger) talks about that we cheated for three years, he either doesn’t know how to read, is really bad at reading comprehension or is just not informed at all. The commissioner’s report clearly says that all those activities were conducted in 2017. 2018, nothing happened. 2019, nothing happened. It was just talented players playing the game of baseball with passion and winning ballgames.

Rosenthal: In 2018, it did say you guys did things.

(The report states: “Prior to the 2018 season, and with MLB approval, the Astros relocated their replay review system to a video room located much closer to the dugout, as is the case in many ballparks throughout the league. The investigation uncovered no evidence that Astros players utilized the banging scheme in 2018. However, the Astros’ replay review room continued, at least for part of the 2018 season, to decode signs using the live center-field camera feed, and to transmit the signs to the dugout through in-person communication. At some point, the Astros stopped using the replay review room to decode signs because the players no longer believed it was effective.”)

Correa: Yeah, but it said about the “Codebreaker” (an algorithm the Astros had developed to decode signs more quickly, according to The Wall Street Journal) but not about the trash can or any of that. That stuff, it came from the top on the “Codebreaker,” but we don’t know about that stuff down there. So when I look at those comments, they’re not true. 2018, we played clean. 2019, we got to a World Series playing clean baseball all around.

(Correa later clarified, off camera, that he meant the Astros did not use the trash-can banging system in 2018 or ’19.)

Correa: So when we move forward and he talks about Altuve, he says, “José Altuve cheated Judge out of the MVP.” Cody, you don’t know the facts. Nobody wants to talk about this, but I’m going to talk about this. José Altuve was the one guy that didn’t use the trash can.

The few times that the trash can was banged was without his consent, and he would go inside the clubhouse and inside the dugout to whoever was banging the trash can and he would get pissed. He would get mad. He would say, “I don’t want this. I can’t hit like this. Don’t you do that to me.” He played the game clean.

The bangs that are on Twitter or whatever, that shows it. Altuve played clean the whole year. When you look at Altuve’s numbers on the road, he hit .400 on the road (.381, actually, compared to .311 at home). He didn’t cheat nobody of the MVP. He earned that MVP. He’s a six-time All-Star, three-time batting champion, MVP, five-time Silver Slugger. He’s been doing this for a long time.

For him to go out there and defame José Altuve’s name like that, it doesn’t sit right with me. The man plays the game clean. That’s easy to find out. Mike Fiers broke the story. You can go out and ask Mike Fiers: “Did José Altuve use the trash can? Did José Altuve cheat to win the MVP?” Mike Fiers is going to tell you, straight up, he didn’t use it. He was the one player that didn’t use it. Josh Reddick, Tony Kemp, those guys, they didn’t want the trash can at all. So when he sits there and talks about Altuve, it’s not facts.

The reason José Altuve apologized to the media was for being part of the team and for not stopping it. But he’s not apologizing for using the trash can. He’s not apologizing for cheating because he did not cheat … José Altuve earned that MVP, and he’s been showing that for years.

Rosenthal: OK, 2019, the buzzer. Bellinger also questioned Altuve’s actions after he hit the home run to clinch the ALCS. He questioned why he refused to have his jersey ripped off and believed that maybe that was the reason.

Correa: I want to address that as well. 2019, nobody wore buzzers. That’s a lie. The reason José Altuve didn’t want to get his shirt ripped off, I’m going to tell you.

Earlier in the year, he hit a walk-off at Minute Maid Park; I ripped off his shirt with Tony Kemp. There are pictures of that. There are videos of that. You can go look at it. I ripped off his shirt, and his wife told my wife, “Why is Carlos ripping Altuve’s shirt? I don’t like that.”

So when he’s running from third base to home plate, I’m the guy up front. The first one waiting for him. He’s like, “Don’t take my shirt off.” The second reason — he doesn’t want me to talk about this, but I’m going to say it, is because he’s got an unfinished tattoo on his collarbone that honestly looked terrible. It was a bad tattoo, and he didn’t want nobody to see it. He didn’t want to show it at all.

So, one, he didn’t want to take his shirt off because his wife had told my wife earlier in the year for me to not do that. So he was telling me not to do it. And, number two, he had an unfinished tattoo that looked kinda bad that he didn’t want people to see and people to talk about. That was the reason.

But Altuve has never cheated. He didn’t cheat in 2017 when nobody knew about the system. Why would he cheat in 2019? … Altuve has played the game clean. Always. Always. He earned that MVP. He hit that home run off (Aroldis) Chapman fair and square. He was not wearing buzzers. That’s a story that a fake account on Twitter broke, and then people just got on that wagon and started talking about the buzzers. Like, no. Nobody thought about buzzers. Nobody was using buzzers.

Rosenthal: OK, do you understand, Carlos, that if the commissioner’s report says that there was cheating in 2017 and cheating in 2018, do you understand why players would think that maybe you cheated again in 2019?

Correa: I can understand why players might think that. But the report is there, and it says that in 2019 nothing happened. You’re telling me that 2018, and I’m telling you that 2018, was something in the video room, but there was nothing in-game that was ruining the game like the trash can.

What we did in 2017, yeah, it was an advantage. Yeah, it was wrong. Yeah, we feel bad about it. Because it’s completely … it’s just bad. It’s just bad. It’s a bad look for our organization. It’s a bad look for us players. But I’m here to tell you José Altuve earned that MVP. That’s his MVP, and nobody can take that away from him.

Rosenthal: Did you guys earn the 2017 World Series title?

Correa: That’s something I want to address also. When he says that we cheated them out of a ring, I go analyze the games.

Game 2, they’re winning the game. Ninth inning, Marwin Gonzalez hits a home run off Kenley Jansen and we end up winning that game. That game was on the road. That’s one game. Game 3, we win 5-3. Yuli (Gurriel) hits a solo homer. Marwin hits a (single) with men on first and second. To all the fans out there, when there is a guy on second, catchers and pitchers they use multiple signs. In the World Series, they don’t use the same multiple signs they do in the regular season. The games are way too important. Those signs can’t be decoded. They’re hard signs.

Marwin hits a (single) with men on first and second. That’s (two) runs. Brian McCann hits a single with a man on second. Again, multiple signs. That’s (three) runs. (Alex Bregman added a sacrifice fly later that inning). Evan Gattis, with Reddick at first, hits a chopper to the pitcher (Tony) Watson. He throws it away. Reddick scores from first. Those are the five runs we scored that day.

Game 5, one of the best games of all-time. I hit a double with a man on second, that’s one run. Yuli hits a home run with a man on second. Again, multiple signs. Nobody knows what’s coming.

Rosenthal: So you guys did not have their signs?

Correa: No, no. I’m telling you, World Series games are too important to use easy signs. There are Morse codes out there. There are signs that nobody can get. There are so many variations you can use, and nobody can get that.

Yuli hits the homer. That’s four runs (starting with a Correa RBI double). Altuve hits a home run off (Kenta) Maeda with men on first and second.

Again, multiple signs. Alex Bregman hits a walk-off single with a pinch-runner, Derek Fisher. He was a pinch-runner. He doesn’t know what’s going on in the game. He hasn’t been at second base the whole World Series. He doesn’t know what is happening behind the plate. Bregman hits a walk-off single with a man on second. Again, multiple signs.

We go to Game 7. George Springer, leadoff double (in the first inning). Alex Bregman hits a ground ball to Cody Bellinger (at first base). He throws it away. People say pitching and defense win ballgames. We end up winning Game 7 on the road. There was no trash-can on the road, no cheating on the road.
When I analyze all the games, we earned that championship. We didn’t steal it. Instead of talking about it, he should have done something about it.

When you look at the World Series, they left so many guys on base in Game 7, throughout the whole World Series. Cody didn’t have a good World Series (Bellinger went 4-for-28, with all of his hits going for extra bases). For him to be talking about us stealing that championship, don’t talk about it. You should not be talking about it. You should have done something about it. When you analyze the games, we won fair and square. We earned that championship.

Rosenthal: How would you feel if you were on a team that this had happened to? If you were on the other side of this? How would you feel if the Astros had done to your team what was done?

Correa: Absolutely, you feel bad and we feel bad as a team. Don’t think that we feel great because we cheated that year and we got away with it and all that. No. We’ve got to go to bed every single night thinking about what we did and how wrong it was. We’ve got to live with that.
(Bellinger) said that they all lost respect for us. But that’s not how life works. We all make mistakes. And because you make a mistake, people are not going to lose respect for you. It’s how you confront those mistakes that you make. You’ve got to admit to those mistakes. You’ve got to accept those mistakes. You’ve got to learn from them. You’ve got to change so you don’t make those mistakes again. And you’ve got to move on with a clean slate. You can’t be judged by the first mistake you make. That’s not how life works at all.

So for him to go out there and say that he lost respect for a six-time All-Star, five-time Silver Slugger, MVP, Gold Glover, that has been doing this for so many years, and he didn’t cheat in 2017 because he got mad at whoever was banging the trash can while he was hitting, is just straight up disrespectful. So when he talks about respect, you’ve got to respect your peers to be respected.

Everybody in the league respects José Altuve and this is why I’m talking about him, because he’s too humble to talk about him not using the trash can system. And he’s such a great guy that he stood up there and he apologized even though he didn’t use that system. He only apologized for not stopping it. So when you disrespect José Altuve’s name, it doesn’t sit well with me. The guy is going to be a future Hall of Famer. His integrity is impeccable. It’s off the charts. He’s one of the nicest guys you will meet and he didn’t cheat. So he earned that MVP.

So, for me, when he talks about respect, you’ve got to respect your peers if you want to be respected.

Rosenthal: Do you believe the Dodgers stole signs illegally during the 2017 World Series?

Correa: You know what, I’m not here to blame other teams. I’m not here to put the spotlight on other teams. We’re here, now in spring training, and everybody is talking about the Houston Astros and what we did in 2017. We’ve got to take that on the chin. Whatever people have to say. The facts that people have to say, we’ve got to take that on the chin.

But, like I said before, what doesn’t sit well with me is when you say false statements. If you don’t know the facts. If you’re not informed. This is America. You can say whatever you want. But Cody Bellinger’s job is to look for information. Get informed. Know the facts, for sure, before he stands in front of cameras to talk about other players. You should get informed. You should be informed before you talk about other players. If you don’t know the facts, then you’ve got to shut the f–k up.

Rosenthal: A number of players have expressed frustration, even anger, that the Astros players were not punished. Do you understand that sentiment?

Correa: Absolutely. I understand it. And, like I said, what we did is not right. When we were waiting for the commissioner’s report, anything could happen. But when he talked to us in the investigation he told us that we had immunity in order for all the players to talk and tell the truth about what happened. So, with that being said, if somebody grants you immunity then they can’t take that back and just punish you after they told you that you have immunity.

So he’s calling our owner weak. Our owner, he’s calling weak. A guy . . . who made so much money that he could buy the Houston Astros, didn’t know about what was going on early in 2017, and you’re going to sit there because he’s trying his best to protect our organization and…

Rosenthal: No, he said he didn’t think what you guys did affected the games and we all know that it affected the games.

Correa: But you’ve got to understand that he’s not a baseball player like we are. You’re around baseball all the time. You talk to us all the time. I know for a fact, as a player, that if I know what’s coming I’m going to have an advantage. But he doesn’t stand up there and hit. He just knows that hitting is just hard. You know what I mean? So when you think hitting is hard, you think that even if you know what’s coming it’s hard. Because he doesn’t play baseball. He’s not around the game like you are. You talk to all of us. I tell you I was looking for this pitch. I was looking for that. And you know if you’re looking for a pitch, I’ve got a better chance of hitting it.

So his statement that day, he’s not a baseball player. He’s an owner. He hires people to do the job for him. But, as the owner, he has to show his face and sit up there and talk to the media, all right. But we all know, as players, that yeah, we do have an advantage. But as an owner, that doesn’t play the game of baseball at this level, that is not asking questions and around like all the reporters are, to the players, he doesn’t know what kind of advantage we have by knowing because, from afar, it looks hard. And you think that even if you know what’s coming, hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports.

So, yeah, I heard his comments. But I’m not going to judge him for that because I know he doesn’t play the game of baseball and he’s not around as much as we are and he doesn’t understand how hard it is to hit a ball, and know how more convenient it is to know what’s coming.

Rosenthal: Your manager and your GM got fired because of the actions of your players. How much does that bother you?

Correa: It hurts. I’ve only known one manager before this year, and that’s AJ Hinch. I love him to death. I would do anything for him. He’s a stand-up guy, a very smart guy. We all admire him. Same with Luhnow. He’s the one that drafted me. He gave me the chance to be the first pick overall (in 2012). He was great to me and great to this organization. It’s just sad to see them leave like that.

But at the same time, it was a decision that came from above. We had no say on that. Our owner decided to do that. Now it’s time to move forward with Dusty (Baker) and our new GM (James) Click, and be able to play this year and play good baseball again — and gain the trust of the fans.

This year, we want to go out and show the fans that we are talented, that we can play the game, that we can win ballgames. That what happened in 2017 does not define us. We still feel terrible. It’s 2020, two-and-something years after that happened, and we still feel bad about it. We go to bed thinking about that.

What people have to say, that’s all their right. Because we were wrong. And they can say whatever they want. Because we were wrong. But when players stand up there and they accuse of stuff that didn’t happen in 2019, that doesn’t sit well with me.