2020 astros offseason

elfenix

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Another thing to get used to. 6 Astros HBP in 3 games. 

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Free base runners is a good thing. Bring it on, I say. 

I keep hearing this narrative thrown around by baseball talking heads, and i just don’t see it happening. I don’t see a scenario where a team is going to sacrifice a chance to win just to throw at a player. The real thing I think you guys need to worry about (if you even want to call it that), is when you guys are beating the fuck out of a team (which I fully expect to happen on a regular basis, just like the last few years), that’s when you’re going to teams say “you know what, fuck it. Top of the lineup is coming up and we aren’t winning this game. I’m putting in joe blow low leverage middle reliever and I’m taking Bregman’s head off.” It’s going to create an interesting dynamic because you guys are going to be in that exact situation a lot, and you really have nothing to gain by defending yourself. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

I keep hearing this narrative thrown around by baseball talking heads, and i just don’t see it happening. I don’t see a scenario where a team is going to sacrifice a chance to win just to throw at a player. The real thing I think you guys need to worry about (if you even want to call it that), is when you guys are beating the fuck out of a team (which I fully expect to happen on a regular basis, just like the last few years), that’s when you’re going to teams say “you know what, fuck it. Top of the lineup is coming up and we aren’t winning this game. I’m putting in joe blow low leverage middle reliever and I’m taking Bregman’s head off.” It’s going to create an interesting dynamic because you guys are going to be in that exact situation a lot, and you really have nothing to gain by defending yourself. 

We need to trade for Amir Garrett.
E4nG0g2.gif

5 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Free base runners is a good thing. Bring it on, I say. 

Sure, but it's going to happen in the games we're up or down 6+ runs in the late innings.

It's gonna be bad and it's gonna be fairly frequent, at least the first time we see each team.  Maybe it'll calm down after they've all had their shot.  But maybe not.

At this point, I'm just hoping we don't end up with a Dickie Thon scenario.

Edited by TexArcher

the first time springer or altuve gets hit or almost gets hit in the face, the same folks across mlb will start publicly pearl-clutching in the opposite direction. 

none of these “purists” wants any part of the wrong side of hbp injuries.  zero chance passan or someone tweets “see, that’s what happens.”

• Like 1

You contradict yourself
At the beginning you don’t see it happening and then at the end you explained exactly why it’s going to happen.
We play the mariners 19 times for crying out loud. ~15 of those games will be decided by the 3rd inning.
That’s a lot of baseball playing out the string where hitting a guy isn’t going to impact the outcome other than whether we win by 15 or 17.

37 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

You contradict yourself
At the beginning you don’t see it happening and then at the end you explained exactly why it’s going to happen.
We play the mariners 19 times for crying out loud. ~15 of those games will be decided by the 3rd inning.
That’s a lot of baseball playing out the string where hitting a guy isn’t going to impact the outcome other than whether we win by 15 or 17.

What I meant was, i don’t see teams compromising any chance they have at winning a baseball game. But as soon as that’s out the window and they’re getting blown out, that’s when it’ll start happening. The concept of “Bring it on. free base runners” doesn’t really matter when the game is at hand. And y’all don’t really have an avenue to defend yourself. When teams are getting blown out against you guys, they’re BEGGING for benches to clear. So whether that happens after Bregman has been hit, or you guys have retaliated, you guys don’t really have much to gain by defending yourself other than just having pride. Because it isn’t going to deter other teams from doing it when they’re getting blown out. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

The hbp.thing isn't going to happen as much as people think. The reason is because its not like we are just gonna sit there and take it. Angels hit us....get in the box Trout. A's hit us...step up Chapman. Rangers hit us...step in....oh fuck it who cares they suck

• Like 3

You contradict yourself
I don't think some of these shitty teams even care all that much. Those dudes are just trying to stay on a big league roster

1 minute ago, Honeysucklerose said:

Sounds like he is saying the Astros will talk about something they know about in the league when they get tired of being the villan in a league or cheaters

Probably reveal publicly the information they gave MLB about other teams cheating. They keep taking the worst of it and MLB does no more investigations or provides no support......show the media where the bodies are. 

What does this mean? What am I not grasping here?
Yeah not sure either but what I get from it he thinks someone is gonna get tired of the shit (Correa prob) and break and sellout other teams finally. Stros to this point have bent over and just taken it without pointing fingers at other for the most part.

20 minutes ago, Scraps said:

The hbp.thing isn't going to happen as much as people think. The reason is because its not like we are just gonna sit there and take it. Angels hit us....get in the box Trout. A's hit us...step up Chapman. Rangers hit us...step in....oh fuck it who cares they suck

Do we play the Reds?  because THAT is a perfect opportunity to flex and nail Bauer in the nuts. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gourmand said:

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

I think he means to say the Astros are gonna rumble with some fans...

Not gonna happen.

My hope is that by "speak up" he means that a player with knowledge of one or more other franchises systematically stealing signs in similar fashion outs them and the details are confirmed by other players in the know so as to spread the focus from just the Astros.  I say "hope," but it more likely means that shit hits the fan stands.

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

It will stop once teams realize giving us base runners means more runs they're going to have to overcome. After a few 2 run homers, or multi-run innings due to free baserunners, it'll stop.

My hope is that by "speak up" he means that a player with knowledge of one or more other franchises systematically stealing signs in similar fashion outs them and the details are confirmed by other players in the know so as to spread the focus from just the Astros.  I say "hope," but it more likely means that shit hits the fan stands.
That's exactly what he means. Someone outspoken like Reddick is going to say fuck it and middle finger whatever agreement MLB had with the players not to talk about other teams.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I don’t know how some of you jumped from “speak up” to brawling in the stands.

Hes clearly alluding to spilling their guts on other teams.

players are going to get really sick of being singled out and taunted in opposing ballparks once the season starts.

Maybe my reading's not so good, but I assumed he was talking about fans, not opposing players. Then an Astros player speaks back to the fans and then bullshit starts, right?  I hope not.  If it's just saying that the reverberating accusations and media clamor is going to "lean on" the Astros until someone breaks and exposes other people's wrongdoings...well...

I honestly hope that doesn't happen.  Nothing the Astros can say or do will placate the detractors.

Fuck them.  Just win.

Edited by Iceman

25 minutes ago, Scraps said:

please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck 

Meh.  First inning was 3 up 3 down.  Second inning after one out, he gave up a run on single, walk, single to the next three batters.  Then his only K for the 2nd out and they pulled him.

Scrubb then came in with 2 outs and threw gasoline on the fire, allowing 3 more runs so far.

Also, Strom just got ejected and can't get the outfield gate open to get off the field.  Spring training, serious business.

Edited by WBT

Meh.  First inning was 3 up 3 down.  Second inning after one out, he gave up a run on single, walk, single to the next three batters.  Then his only K for the 2nd out and they pulled him.
Scrubb then came in with 2 outs and threw gasoline on the fire, allowing 3 more runs so far.
Also, Strom just got ejected and can't get the outfield gate open to get off the field.  Spring training, serious business.
Wack