2020 astros offseason

elfenix

8 hours ago, DallasGatr said:

WTF? Blummer is damn Astro treasure. Maybe it’s my Cali roots and I can relate to his self deprecating style. Whatever it is I find him to be hilarious and glad he’s on our side.

As a side note Kalas seemed to be over his senility that was on display his first year or so.

I’m so over this off-season. Let’s play some real baseball and kick some ass!

The step down from Brown and Deshaies was massive. I don't mind Blummer but Kalas misses way too much. Ford and Sparks are better than Kalas/Blum.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

hitting 94 once in his first outing in over a year is fine by me.  it takes a while to get that velocity back up.

oh, and then this...

Ken Giles would give up 2017 World Series ring

By Bill BaerMar 1, 2020, 4:05 PM EST

Current Blue Jays closer Ken Giles was a big part of the Astros club that won a championship in 2017, recording 34 saves with a 2.30 ERA over 65 2/3 innings. Of course, as we recently learned, that team was up to no good, engaging in an elaborate sign-stealing scheme throughout the season, including in the playoffs.

We learned about the Astros’ cheating ways thanks to pitcher Mike Fiers, a teammate of Giles’ in ’17. Some have questioned Fiers’ motivation and authenticity for coming forward. “Why now?” some have asked. Others have suggested that Fiers ought to be willing to give up the World Series ring he received for his work three seasons ago.

Though no one has actually made the request, Giles would give up his 2017 World Series ring if asked, he told Rosie DiManno of the Toronto Star. “Whatever they ask, I would oblige,” Giles said. “Because what was going on at the time was not OK.”

Giles says he was not involved in the cheating himself. He added, “It crushed me to learn about the stuff that went on when I was there.”

It’s easy to believe Giles because he was never comfortable as a member of the Astros. He said in September of 2018, nearly two months after being traded to the Blue Jays, “I’m actually enjoying the game more than I did for my entire tenure in Houston.” He described himself as feeling “trapped” and “out of place” with the Astros.

Giles shouldn’t have to give up his ring, though. The league isn’t vacating the Astros’ title, so it’s a pointless exercise based on that alone. More importantly, the league doesn’t cover the cost of the rings; they were paid for by team owner Jim Crane. A lot of fans are understandably concerned with superficial things like vacating the Astros’ title and the players giving up their rings, but neither addresses the root issue, which is that the league incentivizes cheating, partially because it does very little to prevent it. Giles returning his ring might make a few non-Astros fans feel better, but it’s ultimately not worth the effort.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/03/01/ken-giles-would-give-up-2017-world-series-ring/

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

hitting 94 once in his first outing in over a year is fine by me.  it takes a while to get that velocity back up.

oh, and then this...

LOL. His teammates nor the entire city of Houston ever felt “comfortable” watching that headcase try to close a game out. I wonder how much of all of this bs is because the rat and this bitch never could warm to an otherwise close clubhouse. 

22 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

LOL. His teammates nor the entire city of Houston ever felt “comfortable” watching that headcase try to close a game out. I wonder how much of all of this bs is because the rat and this bitch never could warm to an otherwise close clubhouse. 

Or you could just go with Occam's Razor and blame it on him being a blithering moron. 

SomberEnlightenedAnchovy-size_restricted

https://twitter.com/AsteriskTour

im beginning to believe all this stuff is going to sink the season. it's not going to let up any this season, road trips are going be brutal in april and may 

I do agree April and May will be rough but I respectfully disagree on the rest and think it’ll die down by Memorial Day.
1. By then, there will be other shit for teams and their fans to care about
2. By Memorial Day, we’ll have had a road trip to each of the West teams (we’ll knock out all but Seattle by Easter, April 12) plus Boston

at some point, the players become beyond frustrated and it affects their play on the field 

it'll be interesting to see how MLB handles security around the dugout and bullpen. im thinking we are fucked here, seeing how they let yankee fans go way too far last year with bullpen heckling 

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/03/03/dallas-keuchel-wears-his-2017-world-series-ring-with-pride/

Dallas Keuchel wears his 2017 World Series ring with pride

By Craig CalcaterraMar 3, 2020, 9:52 AM EST

Bob Nightengale of USA Today caught up with Dallas Keuchel. Most of the article is about his new home with the Chicago White Sox, his outlook and all of that. But, not surprisingly, the topic of the 2017 Astros came up.

Nightengale asked Keuchel about whether, in light of all that has come about about that team, he wears his World Series ring with pride. Which, given what some others have said recently, is not a given.

Keuchel feels differently:

“Absolutely,’’ Keuchel said. “Just where we came from, where I personally came from, what I became and still am, nobody can take away the strides I personally made. That ring shows a set of stairs leap, and reminds me of how bad it was in 2013 (51-111) to the culmination of where you want to go, to the top of the mountains.

“I love that ring as much as anything I have.’’

No one will ever take away Keuchel’s memories of winning that championship. One of his proudest possessions is his framed World Series jersey at home.

This sentiment, and others like it, is why I’m generally cold to “take their rings away!” talk. It’s pretty meaningless. A championship is almost exclusively about things other than the actual hardware or official entries. On one level it’s about the moment of victory and celebration, which no one can pretend didn’t happen via some official act. But more deeply than that, Major League Baseball is never going to be able to administratively shame any ballplayer into anything. In Keuchel’s case it’s because it was a very personal thing that no one can touch. In someone else’s case it could be something else. And that’s before you get into the notion that, actually, I seriously doubt Major League Baseball has any legal right whatsoever to take an actual piece of jewelry away from someone to whom it was gifted, even if it changes an entry in its official records.

All of the “strip the Astros of their title” stuff has always seemed off to me. It has seemed about vengeance, which for the reasons Keuchel articulates, wouldn’t even have the much of an effect. I tend to think symbolic stuff like that is pretty meaningless, frankly.

You can’t make someone sorry who isn’t sorry. You can’t make someone feel shame who isn’t ashamed. At some point you just have to have your view of it, be confident in your view and let go of the idea that you can bend that of others to yours.

Gallery Furniture customers who spend $3,000 or more on mattress purchases can get double their money back or 250 percent of their purchase price in store credit if the Astros win the 2020 World Series.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Mattress-Mack-doubles-down-on-Astros-for-2020-15101857.php

Edited by tx 3 putt