2020 astros offseason

elfenix

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

if he can't get it together under dusty, is this his last chance ?

Meh. He had it together last year. He’s a better player than Reddick right now and should be the starting RF. If anything, Dusty is likely to inhibit him by sticking with the veteran.

48 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Meh. He had it together last year. He’s a better player than Reddick right now and should be the starting RF. If anything, Dusty is likely to inhibit him by sticking with the veteran.

My hope is that in the past he tore it up in spring training and the sucked at the start of the season. Maybe this year will be the opposite. 

2 hours ago, DallasGatr said:

I was at FitTeam today and was impressed with Tucker’s size. He was a rail his first spring in our system but he has really bulked up. Kind of normal to fill out with age but impressive nonetheless.

you shouldn't be checking out guys in the shower, breaking the man code there 

Nice try ARoid. No deflection changes what you did being magnitudes of shit worse than the Astros banging on a trash can or the Red Sox wearing apple watches or the Yankees relaying signs from upstairs to their hitters. 

Nope ARoid. You are still the bigger disgrace. Remind us of your roid enhanced career earnings?

POS

ARod - "The number of games sadly comes as no surprise, as the deck has been stacked against me from day one," he said. "This is one man's decision, that was not put before a fair and impartial jury, does not involve me having failed a single drug test, is at odds with the facts and is inconsistent with the terms of the Joint Drug Agreement and the Basic Agreement, and relies on testimony and documents that would never have been allowed in any court in the United States because they are false and wholly unreliable. This injustice is MLB's first step toward abolishing guaranteed contracts in the 2016 bargaining round, instituting lifetime bans for single violations of drug policy, and further insulating its corrupt investigative program from any variety defense by accused players, or any variety of objective review."

"I have been clear that I did not use performance enhancing substances as alleged in the notice of discipline, or violate the Basic Agreement or the Joint Drug Agreement in any manner, and in order to prove it I will take this fight to federal court. I am confident that when a Federal Judge reviews the entirety of the record, the hearsay testimony of a criminal whose own records demonstrate that he dealt drugs to minors, and the lack of credible evidence put forth by MLB, that the judge will find that the panel blatantly disregarded the law and facts, and will overturn the suspension. No player should have to go through what I have been dealing with, and I am exhausting all options to ensure not only that I get justice, but that players' contracts and rights are protected through the next round of bargaining, and that the MLB investigation and arbitration process cannot be used against others in the future the way it is currently being used to unjustly punish me.

"I will continue to work hard to get back on the field and help the Yankees achieve the ultimate goal of winning another championship. I want to sincerely thank my family, all of my friends, and of course the fans and many of my fellow MLB players for the incredible support I received throughout this entire ordeal."

Just read this snippet on Whitley from McDaniel's ESPN prospect rankings:

There was a stimulant suspension, then there were somewhat minor lat, oblique and shoulder issues, and now, at the beginning of camp, the word from multiple teams is that he looks notably overweight again -- just like the summer before his draft year.

I'd be tempted to get what I can for this guy now...he's still regarded as a consensus top-25 prospect in baseball, but he won't be for long if his 2-year trajectory continues. I understand that the farm system is pretty weak at this point, and the club will lose a lot of good players over the next couple of years...and he's only 22, and I guess there are some good fat pitchers....but man, he seems to be going down the AJ Reed road to obsolescence. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

His weight gain was by design

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – It’s not often you see players report to Spring Training enthusiastic about gaining 40 pounds from where they were a couple of years earlier. Tired of running out of gas midseason, Astros pitching prospect Forrest Whitley came to camp packing 230 pounds on his 6-foot-7 frame and could be poised for a breakout season.

“I was just so skinny that by the time the season would reach like June or July, I wasn’t ready,” said Whitley, who weighed 190 pounds when he came to camp in 2018. “That showed in 2018; I got hurt quite a little bit.”

Whitley, the only Astros player ranked in MLB Pipeline’s Top 100 (No. 19), shifted his workout routine to Phoenix this winter and took a different approach to years past. He worked out less and didn’t throw as much as in previous years and is curious to see how it helps him as the season moves forward.

“I think just the general thought process that went into that was just not coming into camp absurdly skinny like I had the past couple years,” he said. “I remember a couple years ago I came into camp at like 190, so I kind of wanted to lower the workload, eat a little bit more and focus on coming into camp at a little better weight.”

Two years ago, Whitley was working out six or seven times a week, sometimes twice a day. He said it was way too much. He cut the workout load down to just four times a week — Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday — and didn’t start throwing until December.

“Honestly, it was a lot nicer,” he said. “I got a little bit more time to myself. Played a lot more golf. It really felt like a true offseason to me, which was good for me in terms of the mental break from the season.”

Jan 12, 2020

· 

0:44

Top Prospects: Forrest Whitley, HOU

After missing 50 games following a suspension and then suffering a pair of oblique injuries in 2018, Whitley’s 2019 didn’t go much smoother. Whitley, the No. 17 overall pick in the 2016 MLB Draft, went a combined 3-7 with a 7.99 ERA with 44 walks and 86 strikeouts in four levels last year. He began the year at Triple-A Round Rock and had a 12.21 ERA in eight games (five starts) before being placed on the injured list with shoulder fatigue.

The Astros sent him back to the Gulf Coast League in July and he moved up to Class A Advanced Fayetteville before finishing the year with Double-A Corpus Christi. A second consecutive strong performance at the Arizona Fall League (2.88 ERA) followed, but he called 2019 the first on-field baseball adversity he’s faced in his life.

“Biggest thing was falling behind hitters, getting to 2-0 counts and making bad pitches behind the count,” he said. “Also, my usages were just a little off. At the worst of it, I think I was probably throwing like 75 percent fastballs. So that is just not a recipe for success right there.”

Barring any kind of setbacks, Whitley will begin the season at Round Rock for the second year in a row. There could be opportunity later in the season in Houston, where currently Josh James and Austin Pruitt are the forefront of the race for the No. 5 starter spot. Whitley’s time could be coming soon.

“I’m just treating this like Spring Training and getting myself ready for the 2020 season,” he said. “I’m not going to do too much too soon because I just don’t want to inhibit any of those chances on making the team.”

• Like 1

Yeah, he doesn’t look “notably overweight” at all.
I can’t believe the word from multiple other teams wouldn’t be more reliable.

Somebody needs to neg McDaniel for that trash/ false rumors if a couple of surly posters can debunk him in less than an hour...
Or at a minimum, if there is more to the story, neg him for lazy reporting for stopping with that generic comment with no backup to support the statement

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I don't get the huge gap between their upper deck seats in LF. Our CF and RF slays with Torchys, Shake Shack and Pluckers

It's so some drunk Arlingtonian can die at this stadium too...

I'll  take the Crawford Boxes and live scoreboard wall over that LF any day.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

I kind of like the outfield arches, evokes a bit of the classic look of some Dallas landmarks.  Are the seats atop the centerfield corner called "The School Book Depository?"

Edit:  My bad, it's further back and to the left.

Edited by clapclapclap
Kevin Kennedy not looking forward to the opening day reunion.
  • Like 2

Collin McHugh Red Sox deal:
1 year 600K no option. MLB deal.
Incentives on IP that start at 30 and work up to 115. Also roster bonuses that start at 15 active days and go up to 90 active days. Depending on role and time on roster, Collin can expect to earn between $1M and $4.25M.

13 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

I kind of like the outfield arches, evokes a bit of the classic look of some Dallas landmarks.  Are the seats atop the centerfield corner called "The School Book Depository?"

Edit:  My bad, it's further back and to the left.

Arlington has the golden arches; ours are the golden arcs,

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Wasn’t against a bunch of A-ballers either
Those two and Abreu held Boston to 1 over the minimum through 7.

James:
1st
Benintendi 3U
Devers 4-3
Bogaerts K
2nd
JD Martinez F7
Chavis Double, CS 2-5
Vazquez F8
3rd
Bradley, Jr. K
Pillar 6-3