2020 astros offseason

elfenix

future fanpulse questions:

* is pancreatic cancer better or worse than oatmeal?

* Is gorging yourself on phlegm before stabbing yourself repeatedly in the nostril with a rusty chainsaw better or worse than taking a walk on a slightly overcast day?

* Does OU suck more or less than a broken vacuum cleaner?

I love me some Bregs

The Astros third baseman is back in the news cycle today because he has decided to move on from his agent, Brodie Scottfield, and his affiliated agency, Klutch Sports. This is interesting news considering Klutch is directly associated with LeBron James, and the NBA star recently announced that his production company will produce a documentary about the Astros' cheating scandal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WBT said:

Made it onto Jeopardy today

Hide contents

This team moved from the National League to the American League in 2013 & won a now-controversial title in 2017

Is this the team that has an undisputed 2017 World Series championship per the governing authority on the sport, MLB itself, or does something like darts also have an NL and AL?

So i try to keep up with some podcasts and Mchugh recently had an ex ATL RP on his who has a podcast called 755isreal podcast. They were talking about how Gattis was on there.

I went and looked it up and am about halfway through part 1 and i highly recommend it. I think we all know his story but hearing him tell it was pretty awesome.

Its like 3 hours long total i think in 2 parts

Sitting around smoking a pork butt, decided to turn on Astros/Red Sox from the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend last year.
JV on the mound

Kalas/Blum are doing their typical Sunday “baseball basics” theme
This week it’s how AJ prepares/manages a game with lots of great pre-recorded AJ snippets talking about what he does...And kalas/blum talking about very few managers, if any, Are as approachable or more prepared than AJ.

Man what a kick to the nuts.

• Like 2

a little plug here - my buddy eric ladin https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1426686/ has partnered up with lance zierlein to reboot their "off script" podcast.  it's a kind of merge of sports and entertainment, and they just dropped their first 2 episodes, including an interview they did a few days ago with lance mccullers, jr.  they cover a lot of ground and get into some interesting stuff, including 2017 (not sure how much ended up on the final version, but he was telling me about it).  apparently lance was getting a tattoo literally during the interview, because, you know, he's from tampa.

anyhow, they've already done another interview with mike kelly from house of cards (hasn't dropped yet), and they have some more good ones coming up (i know they were working on jamie hector from the wire, and eric's co-star on bosch).  and they're working on some non-houston related sports people, which should be good.  also, he's in "the right stuff" this fall on disney, so i know they're going to get into that and probably interview some of the folks involved:

here's the link to the podcast, i'm sure he would appreciate some subscribers as they're trying to grow their base: 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/off-script-with-lance-zierlein-eric-ladin/id1258924097

and lmj mentioned it today in his ig live story, but not sure how to link that.  anyway, enjoy.

Edited by henrygandorf
additions
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Scraps said:

How many times did LMJ say "bro"?

Over/under 55

I love McCullers but in this interview he sounded like a slightly smarter version of Blake Snell to me. "We are putting our health at risk", "It's easy to burn through $750,000 if you make a million a year", "You can make $100,000 a year and only go through $30,000", "I have to buy flights for my family for every road trip and pay for food", "Some guys only have a few hundred grand in the bank", "People don't know about taxes", "Tom Glavin shouldn't have an opinion", "We have to be away from our families" then complains he might give his family the Covid since he will be with his family. All that shit was lame but I have high hopes that Lance and Eric will make this a great podcast. Gotta try the bourbon they were pimping out.

45 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Did he mention that he earned $4.1 million last year despite not pitching an inning? Or that he hasn’t had a healthy season since entering the bigs in 2016?

No but he did mention that he probably lost money since he tried to play hurt instead of just getting surgery when he first got injured lol  unreal

2 hours ago, Alvin89 said:

I love McCullers but in this interview he sounded like a slightly smarter version of Blake Snell to me. "We are putting our health at risk", "It's easy to burn through $750,000 if you make a million a year", "You can make $100,000 a year and only go through $30,000", "I have to buy flights for my family for every road trip and pay for food", "Some guys only have a few hundred grand in the bank", "People don't know about taxes", "Tom Glavin shouldn't have an opinion", "We have to be away from our families" then complains he might give his family the Covid since he will be with his family. All that shit was lame but I have high hopes that Lance and Eric will make this a great podcast. Gotta try the bourbon they were pimping out.

I hope he didn’t drop his Covid media rant 

5 hours ago, Alvin89 said:

Yeah I haven't listened to it yet, and I like LMJ too, but I have listened to some of his walkout podcast (which isn't bad if you enjoy MMA....Correa actually knows what he is talking about LMJ seems like a frontrunner and just sucks off the big names) and I watched some of the players league games he played mlb 2020 or whatever and oh my fucking god he says "BRO" like every sentence start almost.  It is almost unbearable bro.  So bro, I blame it on being a fucking Millennial 

9 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Yeah I haven't listened to it yet, and I like LMJ too, but I have listened to some of his walkout podcast (which isn't bad if you enjoy MMA....Correa actually knows what he is talking about LMJ seems like a frontrunner and just sucks off the big names) and I watched some of the players league games he played mlb 2020 or whatever and oh my fucking god he says "BRO" like every sentence start almost.  It is almost unbearable bro.  So bro, I blame it on being a fucking Millennial 

Pretty much sums it up. I had to roll my eyes on this podcast when he tries to breakdown why Conor lost to Khabib like he's Joe Rogan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, WBT said:

Bagwell's 3 HR game is going to be on MLBN at 11

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU199406240.shtml

Anybody else watch this?  It's rerunning at 2am if you want to DVR it.  Seeing the HSE logo in the bottom right corner hit me in the feels.  This was back when the announcers rotated between TV and radio, so you got to hear Brown, Worrell, and Milo (shockingly he told a pointless meandering story about some banquet he MC'd).  No Wrangler though, maybe he was radio only. 

This was 3 days after the Rockets-Knicks game 7 so there was some talk about that and also a Jose Cruz Jr Rice scouting report.  Also some depressing talk about the looming strike.

Bagwell was 1 for 2 with an RBI single going into the 6th but still squeezed the 3 dingers in even with there not being a bottom of the 9th.  The 2nd one was oppo which was pretty rare for the dome back then.  This game put him at 23 HRs and 74 RBIs after 72 games.  Biggio and Caminiti also had doubles.  It was cool seeing Shaner on the hill and seeing us knock around Pedro Ramon Martinez.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Watched the 04 nlcs game. People tend to forget how cluth the big puma was. Vastly underappreciated player

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Twinky story with Cubs fans is among my favorite ever for player/ fan interaction.  "Relaxed Fit."

He was my favorite Astro of those teams.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

Berkman was funny. This story was great, heard him tell it on the radio once and everyone was dying (maybe on Rome's show):

Spoiler

Five years ago, when Berkman was a sophomore at Rice, the Owls were playing at TCU. "The wind was blowing real hard that day from right to left," he says. "I was in leftfield, and the batter hit a sky-high fly to left." Berkman broke toward centerfield, but the wind started blowing the ball to his right. As he changed gears and headed that way, the wind kept pushing the ball farther toward the line. At the last possible moment a speeding Berkman slid, feet first, into the leftfield corner, but the ball fell into a pile of debris on the warning track. There were candy bar wrappers, Big Mac containers and--bingo!--a couple of white plastic bags. "When I slid, my left leg collided with the foul pole and went numb, and my right foot got stuck in the fence," he says. "Still, I reached over and picked up the ball. But in my rush to pick it up, I grabbed a plastic bag too."

Berkman looked up, saw the batter rounding second, shook off the plastic bag and, on one knee, tried to throw the ball to the infield. As soon as he released the ball, however, a gust of wind lifted the plastic bag. "I threw the ball, I'm not making this up, and it flew right into the plastic bag," Berkman says. "The ball, in the bag, dies after 30 feet. The hitter's going for an inside-the-park homer; my foot is stuck in the fence; I think my other leg's broken; and my coach is running down the third base line yelling, 'Berkman! You're the worst outfielder I've ever seen! You're a joke!'"

• Like 4

Berkman was funny. This story was great, heard him tell it on the radio once and everyone was dying (maybe on Rome's show):
Spoiler

Five years ago, when Berkman was a sophomore at Rice, the Owls were playing at TCU. "The wind was blowing real hard that day from right to left," he says. "I was in leftfield, and the batter hit a sky-high fly to left." Berkman broke toward centerfield, but the wind started blowing the ball to his right. As he changed gears and headed that way, the wind kept pushing the ball farther toward the line. At the last possible moment a speeding Berkman slid, feet first, into the leftfield corner, but the ball fell into a pile of debris on the warning track. There were candy bar wrappers, Big Mac containers and--bingo!--a couple of white plastic bags. "When I slid, my left leg collided with the foul pole and went numb, and my right foot got stuck in the fence," he says. "Still, I reached over and picked up the ball. But in my rush to pick it up, I grabbed a plastic bag too."
Berkman looked up, saw the batter rounding second, shook off the plastic bag and, on one knee, tried to throw the ball to the infield. As soon as he released the ball, however, a gust of wind lifted the plastic bag. "I threw the ball, I'm not making this up, and it flew right into the plastic bag," Berkman says. "The ball, in the bag, dies after 30 feet. The hitter's going for an inside-the-park homer; my foot is stuck in the fence; I think my other leg's broken; and my coach is running down the third base line yelling, 'Berkman! You're the worst outfielder I've ever seen! You're a joke!'"

I’ve heard that story before but forgot it
I’m dying at the thought of hearing Berkman tell that

14 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Hide contents

He definitely told that story on Rome, possibly more than once.

On 5/27/2020 at 4:44 PM, Jshep34 said:

Watched the 04 nlcs game. People tend to forget how cluth the big puma was. Vastly underappreciated player

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If Edgar Martinez made the hall of fame, Berkman should have as well...Berkman fell off on the first ballot

Berkman-15 years- 52 WAR .293/366 bombs/1234 rbis/.406 OBP/.537 SLG- 6x all star (played the field the majority of his career)

Martinez-18 years- 68.4 WAR .312/309 bombs/1261 rbis/.418 OBP/.515 SLG 7x all star (probably doesnt even own a glove)

Pretty damn similar plus Berkman has a ring. If Berkman had been able to just DH his career he would have a higher WAR since Berkman has -11 dWAR

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Astros looking to extend Springer to 2025, hope its true 

I’d be surprised if anything is done prior to some resolution on this season. If so,  there will be lots of contingencies. 

Edited by TonyTexas

A former Houston Chronicle sports reporter arrested Thursday faces felony charges of attempted sexual assault of a child and online solicitation of a child, according to officials.

Hunter Atkins, 31, was charged in December with harboring a runaway child, which is a misdemeanor, court records show. He was accused of having a 15-year-old child at his apartment without the parent’s consent.

Chronicle executive editor Steve Riley said Atkins left the Chronicle in February. Riley declined further comment.

Court records show the Missouri City Police Department contacted the Harris County Constable’s Office — Precinct 1 around 1:45 a.m. Dec. 22 about a runaway girl. The child’s mother had found inappropriate photos and texts of a sexual nature on the girl’s phone, as well as her location in the Museum District.