2020 astros offseason

elfenix

Excellent question.

Everyone will dismiss Lidge (unfairly) for obvious reasons but damn that guy was exceptional for quite some time. Wagner has to be the choice because he was fucking dominant and doesn't have the baggage of Lidge. Smith and Sambito were likewise excellent but their careers are only remembered by the old guys like me. 

33 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Excellent question.

Everyone will dismiss Lidge (unfairly) for obvious reasons but damn that guy was exceptional for quite some time. Wagner has to be the choice because he was fucking dominant and doesn't have the baggage of Lidge. Smith and Sambito were likewise excellent but their careers are only remembered by the old guys like me. 

Wagner 100%

As good as Wagner was, I still remember having that feeling not unlike early innings when Roy O started where you felt like uh oh here comes the long ball.  

I suppose that is true for every fan/closer relationship except Yankees fans and Mariano Rivera. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gourmand said:

As good as Wagner was, I still remember having that feeling not unlike early innings when Roy O started where you felt like uh oh here comes the long ball.  

I suppose that is true for every fan/closer relationship except Yankees fans and Mariano Rivera. 

hell, the first inning is like that for Verlander all the time.

"There, now y'all ain't scorin' again..."

51 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Anyone else watching the 1980 NLCS on AT&T Sportsnet? Keith Jackson and Howard Coesell on the call.

Thanks, I'm recording it.  It looks like they're playing every game from that series this week.  This was before my time but I'll check it out.

So this was the lineup card of an actual Major League Baseball team on this date last year...

And right now I would cancel every appointment I have, no matter how critical, to sit down and watch it:

1830a00ba9d0f24cdb0730dd02dcab22.jpg

and because that lineup opposed a minor league team (aka Baltimore Orioles), that lineup won 4-0

So in the pregame show to that 1980 NLCS Game 1 they talked about J.R. Richard's blood clot in his arm and subsequent stroke he had that year.  They hinted at him catching shit from fans and media about not thinking he was really hurt prior to the stroke.  For anyone that remembers that, how bad was it?  They particularly pointed to him taking 30 days to rest his arm during the season.  It sounded like he was hurting but the doctors couldn't figure out what the true underlying cause was.

On 6/6/2020 at 1:02 PM, Gourmand said:

This is off topic and I'm probably behind the board on this but when did Alyson Footer become such a disagreeable reporter? I've typically respected her work but she seems perpetually pissed off now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Late 30s, single, redhead, expanding forehead, probably been passed around the beat writers....can't think of reason for her surliness.

They just ran a promo for the Texas OU game that Saturday on ABC.  Keith Jackson said he was looking forward to calling it.  It looks like we won that one 20-13.

Between the baseball playoffs starting and Texas-OU that might be my favorite sports week of the year.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 1:02 PM, Gourmand said:

This is off topic and I'm probably behind the board on this but when did Alyson Footer become such a disagreeable reporter? I've typically respected her work but she seems perpetually pissed off now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

She didn’t like the Osuna trade or the Taubman tirade. 

Watching that 1980 game reminded me how much the game has changed. Does anyone choke up on the bat anymore? Rose and Bowa choked up several inches for every swing trying to slap hits by the infield. With the Astros down 2-1, Virdon lets Ken Forsch lead off the 7th inning and he gets a single. Tug McGraw gets a 3 inning save. Oh well - We have Nolan going in Game 2.

I was 7 during this series so I don’t remember any of it unlike 1986 which is burned into my memory right next to the GD Oilers/Bills playoff game. It’s time to start drinking now after thinking about those 2 events.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Only 5 rounds of this draft and everyone else is a free agent...best year possible to be stripped of 1st and 2nd round picks?

Fangraphs says it's the worst year because you lose that slot money and the sign stealing will be a disincentive for the $20K signing bonus guys but I disagree; I think if the money is the same players will want to go to organizations that have a strong reputation for development and aren't really going to care what the major league team did in 2017. 

23 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah fangraphs is right.  No one is rushing to sign for $20k.  Juco baseball is going to be good the next year or two.

Alright, in other terms, future drafts when Astros have not lost picks may be unusually deep? Trying to find something positive, besides Verlander’s lowered pitch count in an abbreviated season. 

13 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Alright, in other terms, future drafts when Astros have not lost picks may be unusually deep? Trying to find something positive, besides Verlander’s lowered pitch count in an abbreviated season. 

Yes, 2021 and 2022 will undoubtably be deeper, which helps Houston (especially in 2022 when they should have a full set of picks plus maybe extras).  Almost all of the truly talented players who go undrafted will not sign for $20k.  

I believe Houston has an advantage in this draft due to the new GM bringing in another systems knowledge of this draft class to combine with the legacy staff (similar to how Luhnow was able to do in 2012).  That won’t totally offset the loss of the 1st and 2nd round picks, but it should help them do well with what they’ve got.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Click selected the best available talent regardless of signability in rounds 2 and 3, with leverage to punt those picks to 2021 where they could increase their pool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Unfortunately, I think Cora is right

So the Astro’s shouldn’t pin their issue all on one guy, but it is completely appropriate for the Red Sox to blame everything on a video guy?  Okie dokie then.

Edited by cochamps
  • Like 4