2020 astros offseason

elfenix

roto:

Astros Interviewed Bobby Evans For GM Job

By George Miller | January 25, 2020 at 3:55pm CDT

The Astros have interviewed former Giants general manager Bobby Evans for their own vacant GM post, according to a report from Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. Evans is the first name to have emerged in Houston’s hunt for its next top executive.

The Astros, of course, are in need of replacements for both deposed GM Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch. While we’ve had plenty of news to follow along with the managerial search, things have been mostly quiet on the GM front. It makes sense, given that spring training is just around the corner and, well, beginning the spring with no manager would be quite the bold move. However, hiring a manager before a GM is not an ideal scenario; it’s increasingly necessary that executives up and down the organization are on the same page. That’s created a tricky situation for owner Jim Crane, who placed himself in charge of the team’s baseball operations in the interim.

Evans worked in the Giants organization beginning in 1994, serving as the team’s vice president of baseball operations during the franchise’s dynastic run of success from 2010-2014. He earned a promotion to general manager prior to the 2015 season, a post that he held for nearly four seasons until he was fired in September of 2018. Interestingly, as the Houston Chronicle’s Chandler Rome notes, Evans’ San Francisco tenure largely coincided with Dusty Baker’s stint as the Giants’ skipper from 1993-2002. Baker, of course, has been named as a candidate in the Astros’ managerial search.

That connection, if it’s anything meaningful, could serve to quell some of the tension that could arise between a manager who’s been hired before his GM. Of course, it has been nearly two decades since the two worked together, so that history may wind up being irrelevant anyway.

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

roto:

Astros Interviewed Bobby Evans For GM Job

By George Miller | January 25, 2020 at 3:55pm CDT

The Astros have interviewed former Giants general manager Bobby Evans for their own vacant GM post, according to a report from Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic. Evans is the first name to have emerged in Houston’s hunt for its next top executive.

The Astros, of course, are in need of replacements for both deposed GM Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch. While we’ve had plenty of news to follow along with the managerial search, things have been mostly quiet on the GM front. It makes sense, given that spring training is just around the corner and, well, beginning the spring with no manager would be quite the bold move. However, hiring a manager before a GM is not an ideal scenario; it’s increasingly necessary that executives up and down the organization are on the same page. That’s created a tricky situation for owner Jim Crane, who placed himself in charge of the team’s baseball operations in the interim.

Evans worked in the Giants organization beginning in 1994, serving as the team’s vice president of baseball operations during the franchise’s dynastic run of success from 2010-2014. He earned a promotion to general manager prior to the 2015 season, a post that he held for nearly four seasons until he was fired in September of 2018. Interestingly, as the Houston Chronicle’s Chandler Rome notes, Evans’ San Francisco tenure largely coincided with Dusty Baker’s stint as the Giants’ skipper from 1993-2002. Baker, of course, has been named as a candidate in the Astros’ managerial search.

That connection, if it’s anything meaningful, could serve to quell some of the tension that could arise between a manager who’s been hired before his GM. Of course, it has been nearly two decades since the two worked together, so that history may wind up being irrelevant anyway.

Anyone else less than excited about this? I'll acknowledge that all I know about the guy is what SF did on his watch, and it is really difficult to know how much credit/blame he gets for their highs and lows. On the one hand, they won 2 WS titles when he was an assistant GM and 1 while he was the GM. On the other, they collapsed pretty quickly, obtained some albatross contracts for some mediocre veterans, and had a lousy farm system on his watch. Then again, he was trying to keep the Giants party going when he assumed the GM role while he still had Posey and Bumgarner in their primes, so that could explain some of the moves they made. Plus, who knows what constraints or directives he had from ownership? I am not sure what to think. 

I'd be more excited if the club was looking at guys from TB or OAK or LAD, but I admittedly have no idea who. 

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He’s a ‘bridge’ manager no doubt, but that is what was needed. 

I absolutely agree. I see him here for 2 years when the team has a good chance to go deep. Beginning in 2022, this team will go through somewhat of a rebuild and will bring in someone more appropriate for that role. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Anyone else less than excited about this? I'll acknowledge that all I know about the guy is what SF did on his watch, and it is really difficult to know how much credit/blame he gets for their highs and lows. On the one hand, they won 2 WS titles when he was an assistant GM and 1 while he was the GM. On the other, they collapsed pretty quickly, obtained some albatross contracts for some mediocre veterans, and had a lousy farm system on his watch. Then again, he was trying to keep the Giants party going when he assumed the GM role while he still had Posey and Bumgarner in their primes, so that could explain some of the moves they made. Plus, who knows what constraints or directives he had from ownership? I am not sure what to think. 

I'd be more excited if the club was looking at guys from TB or OAK or LAD, but I admittedly have no idea who. 

I think Sabean is viewed as the architect.  Evans couldn't keep it going when they got old.

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Nightengale doesnt know shit...but it is Dusty. He was always the favorite. Hopefully Espada stays on as bench coach, best of both worlds in that scenario

Dusty as a figurehead to win back the national perception with Espada on board to keep the analytics alive is a pretty appealing scenario given where we currently find ourselves.

12 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Dusty as a figurehead to win back the national perception with Espada on board to keep the analytics alive is a pretty appealing scenario given where we currently find ourselves.

Dusty has a reputation of being an old school guy but he adapted to the analytics with the Nats. Analytics is still going to be a heavy focus for the organization. I love the hire and fully agree with you

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I’m fine with this. 

31 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This isn’t true. Jayson Werth started every playoff game for the Nats under him despite declining numbers. He left pitchers in or made substitutions using his gut. 

After looking into it you’re correct. Hopefully keeping Espada on the bench will help with some of that. He did get better about not blowing out pitchers arms though