2020 astros offseason

elfenix

i never showed up to a game drunk from the night before, kept drinking at the game, somehow managed to sober up while still at said game and then go back out after the same game and get drunk again until i went to that chris burke game. god that shit was epic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Random question..

When the season comes back and it's "no fans" games, are employees allowed to be there still for the games?

I would imagine that certain employees have to be there but others won't be allowed. 

8 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:

MLB just dropped the RedSox findings. The RedSox cheating was allegedly less severe than what the Astros did

So after being caught using an electronic buzzer to alert players of stolen signs.....they are caught a second time in the same season.....

but less severe or just more valuable than the Astros?  Such horse shit.  Love how the announcement comes with no release of findings.  (at least for now)

• Like 1

Remember how Manfred's justification for suspending Luhnow and Hinch was that his 2017 warning to all teams said that GMs and managers would be held responsible for what their organizations did, even if they weren't personally involved.

That 2017 warning came after the Red Sox apple watch incident.  But now the very same Red Sox were found to have committed violations in 2018 but the GM and manager won't punished because they didn't know about the rules violations.  So that's cool.

• Like 2

Late to the party, but it's no coincidence that MLB dropped the Red Sox findings and "punishment" on the day it was announced that a group is trying to certify a class action lawsuit against MLB.  Fuck Rob Manfred. 

And NFL draft is consuming the sports media world

On 4/23/2020 at 1:09 PM, WBT said:

Remember how Manfred's justification for suspending Luhnow and Hinch was that his 2017 warning to all teams said that GMs and managers would be held responsible for what their organizations did, even if they weren't personally involved.

That 2017 warning came after the Red Sox apple watch incident.  But now the very same Red Sox were found to have committed violations in 2018 but the GM and manager won't punished because they didn't know about the rules violations.  So that's cool.

That's the part that surprised me the most. Luhnow said he didn't know. Suspended. O'Halloran said he didn't know. Not suspended. And this is the Red Sox's second offense in two years!

I read the report to find out. It's got

Each Club’s General Manager and Field Manager will be held accountable for ensuring that all of the rules outlined herein are followed by players and Club personnel.

along with

the prohibition on utilizing the replay room to decode signs was not effectively communicated to Red Sox players, and most Red Sox players said that they were unaware that MLB’s rules in 2018 prohibited Watkins from using the replay room during the game to decode signs.

Not looking good for the bosses.

The Club’s front office took more than reasonable steps to ensure that its employees, including Watkins, adhered to the rules.

Wait, what. I thought the players were employees?

Here’s the proposed realignment for this season. The Astros and Rangers fans get totally fucked. Lots of late games

EAST

• New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins

WEST

• Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners

CENTRAL

• Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3039275001?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by TonyTexas

40 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m a night owl so that doesn’t really bother me
Would probably end up with close to the same number of games in the Pacific time zone as a 162 game schedule albeit in about half the amount of time

We play around 28 games on the west coast per year. With this plan , it would be closer to 40. (including AZ. )

Edited by TonyTexas

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

We play around 28 games on the west coast per year. With this plan , it would be closer to 40. (including AZ. )

With no fans in the stands, there's less reason to insist on 7:10 pm local start times.  I would think the Rangers and Astros could argue for more afternoon west coast starts to compensate for being in the west.  Especially against SD, SEA, AZ, and CO, where the Texas teams have the bigger tv market (perhaps also NorCal, since 2 teams split that market.)

13 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Here’s the proposed realignment for this season. The Astros and Rangers fans get totally fucked. Lots of late games

EAST

• New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins

WEST

• Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners

CENTRAL

• Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

That's how it already was for us with the 3 West Coast teams.  It'll work out roughly the same.  Bring the Dodgers right the fuck on though...

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

That's how it already was for us with the 3 West Coast teams.  It'll work out roughly the same.  Bring the Dodgers right the fuck on though...

It won’t be roughly the same. 44% of our games would be in either the Mountain (11%) or Pacific (33%) time zones. With the regular schedule, we play 18% of our games at LAA, Oak and SEA

Plus, the Astros and Rangers travel would be considerably tougher than any other teams. The only way around that would be by having extended road trips. 

Edited by TonyTexas

I'm a dumbass for not reading the article.   I just assumed it would be a shorter season, but still with other series mixed in.  Just playing your own division is horseshit.

agree with what others have said regarding start times though... there is no concern over the commute for fans.   Have a shit-ton of afternoon games and earlier starts.

Edited by Iceman

17 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I’m a night owl so that doesn’t really bother me
Would probably end up with close to the same number of games in the Pacific time zone as a 162 game schedule albeit in about half the amount of time

The main reason for the late starts is attendance. If the MLB stadiums are closed for most of the abbreviated season, then there would be no reason for a lot of late night starts.

I could see them moving some Astros and Rangers road games up to a compromise 6 Pac/8 central.  But I'm guessing that there will be more day games, given how there will be a lot more people working from home, unemployed, and plenty choosing to continue to self-quarantine as much as possible.  ESPN and FS1 would probably love to have triple headers most days.  Not so sure about the local team affiliates, but they'll probably work out some compromise for more day games on weekdays.

On 4/28/2020 at 5:35 PM, TonyTexas said:

EAST

WEST

CENTRAL

The East is complete shit.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:44 AM, UTPhil2006 said:

Which apartments provide the best view from LF of the stadium (assuming high enough up).  I say we make @Mez2 little brother move in one and supplement his rent for unfettered access to it during games.

Good friend of mine that goes to tons of games every season moved into those apartments above the new Irma's back in February pretty much for the specific purpose of being able to walk to and from MMP. Whoops! 

On the bright side, you can see a pretty good chunk of the field when the roof is open.

It seems to me that this 5 round draft minimizes the effect of Astros losing the first 2 draft picks. You can’t really play shenanigans as much with slot money because undrafted players are maxed out at $20k   Might be a good opportunity to rebuild the farm with underpriced talent.