2020 astros offseason

elfenix

8 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Going thru some of collection and found this from 2004. Lets see how many yall can name. a16014525f6d82e569465e6f99475bca.jpga382fdee920409b2dddeaafc11454c1b.jpg435b6aba81303c172fd534a89e91eceb.jpg94a465ca1403e7c1dc9383288e15982a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For the first one, it looks like Williams but I can't think of one unless it's old one M Jimy

I don't see anything I can identify on the 2nd picture.

Third picture I've got Pete Munro, Mike Gallo?, Morgan Ensberg, and Brandon Backe?  Don't know the top one.

Don't know the last picture.

• Like 1

I've been working through all the 1980 NLCS games that ATTSW ran last week while working.  This was a crazy play in Game 4:

Runners on 1st and 2nd and the hitter is jams badly and hits it out toward the mound.  No one seems sure of whether Vern Ruhle caught it in the air or short hopped it.  He threw to 1st and everyone stood around not sure whether he had doubled off the runner from 1st or forced the batter.  Then Art Howe ran down to 2nd because the runner originally on 2nd had gone to 3rd.  After a 15 minute delay, they finally decided  it was a catch and the runner from 1st was doubled off but they let the runner go back to 2nd because they said the umpire screwed up in not making it clear whether the ball was caught or not.  Keep watching until the umps go talk to the NL president, Chub Feeney.  He's sitting in the 1st row by the dugout puffing on a cigar.  Lulz, much cooler than Selig when they asked him what to do in the ASG.  Both teams played the game under protest.

Edited by WBT
  • Like 1

Also, what a sports day that was.  Texas-OU at noon with Keith Jackson on the call.  NLCS Game 4 started at 3:15.  Keith got there and into the booth in the 5th inning.  And after the baseball game, they cleared the dome and changed to the football configuration for aggy at cougar high.  Here's the SI write-up:

"The only two-day game of the century, Houston vs. Texas A&M, Oct. 11-12 1980." That was the wording on 1,200 T shirts sold for $5 each to commemorate a bizarre Southwest Conference clash. Ninety years ago, Yale beat Springfield 16-10 in the first "two-day" indoor game, a late-nighter in Madison Square Garden. Last week's tussle in the Astrodome did not begin until 11:33 p.m., having been delayed by the Phillie-Astro playoff game and by a four-hour conversion process that transformed the field from a diamond into a gridiron.

When it was over, Texans joked that A&M had won Saturday's game 7-0 and that Houston had beaten the Aggies 17-6 on Sunday. Indeed, A&M scored shortly before midnight, was caught at 7-7 early Sunday morning and lost 17-13 after having committed seven turnovers. Terald Clark of the Cougars rushed for 103 yards, and Quarterback Brent Chinn ran 13 yards for the go-ahead score along about 1:30 a.m. All 46,525 tickets for the game were sold, about 36,000 spectators showed up and almost 19,000 hardy souls lingered until the end at 2:48 a.m.

Despite playing at a more decent hour, Oklahoma and Texas were guilty of 14 turnovers, eight by the Sooners. The Longhoms, who led 10-0 at halftime, fell behind 13-10 early in the fourth quarter and then were led to a pair of scores by Quarterback Donnie Little. In keeping the Longhorns unbeaten, Little ran for 110 yards and passed for 99.

Wow, in the bottom of the 9th, down 3-2, Rafael Landestoy led off with a walk.  Virdon left Joe Sambito in to bunt.  It's hard to imagine a manager letting a pitcher hit in that situation today.  Barely anyone even bunts in that situation any more.

Sambito got the bunt down and Terry Puhl knocked the run in with a single.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Holy shit, we had a runner called out on appeal for leaving 3rd too early on a sac fly in the bottom of the 6th.  I can't imagine living through Game 4 and 5 of this series.

I was a little kid, this was my first taste of baseball heartbreak. The Luv Ya Blue Oilers were doing their best to prepare for me what was to come.

On 6/16/2020 at 5:24 PM, UTexasFight said:

Thanks. I needed that.
everything about that is great.
-lol at Reggie Smith coming off the bench in the top of the 9th to face Nolan in that situation after not being able to start because of a batting practice ball bouncing up and hitting him in the mouth.
-man I miss the Dome.

You lost me at "miss the Dome". Sorry. Love the memories. Hated the building and turf.

18 hours ago, WBT said:

Sambito got the bunt down and Terry Puhl knocked the run in with a single.

Puhl smoked that pitch. Put a Blue-Star on that one!

I finished that 1980 Phillies series yesterday with Game 5.  I had always heard what a good series it was with the last 4 games going extra innings but I have a better appreciation now having watched it.  Damn that must have been rough, leading both Game 4 and 5 after 7 innings and not being able to close it out.  And we only had to wait another 25 years to get to the World Series.

Nolan seemed to be cruising in Game 5 and then it fell apart in the 8th on a bloop single, a comebacker off his glove that went as a hit but easily could have been a dp, and then a bunt hit.  Then he walked the next guy to force in a run and got pulled.  The bullpen gave up 4 more runs.  For me, that 8th inning now replaces the 8th inning of Game 4 vs KC in 2015 as the worst in team playoff history.  Both are pretty similar with a bunch of bullshit hits and not many hard hit balls.  Both at home and both in the 8th inning of what would have been a series clincher.  Although the KC game gets extra points because I was there.

It's kind of crazy that there was only 1 HR in the series.  Baseball was different back then, especially at the dome.  Mike Schmidt only had 1 RBI all series.  f Manny Trillo.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, WBT said:

I finished that 1980 Phillies series yesterday with Game 5.  I had always heard what a good series it was with the last 4 games going extra innings but I have a better appreciation now having watched it.  Damn that must have been rough, leading both Game 4 and 5 after 7 innings and not being able to close it out.  And we only had to wait another 25 years to get to the World Series.

Nolan seemed to be cruising in Game 5 and then it fell apart in the 8th on a bloop single, a comebacker off his glove that went as a hit but easily could have been a dp, and then a bunt hit.  Then he walked the next guy to force in a run and got pulled.  The bullpen gave up 4 more runs.  For me, that 8th inning now replaces the 8th inning of Game 4 vs KC in 2015 as the worst in team playoff history.  Both are pretty similar with a bunch of bullshit hits and not many hard hit balls.  Both at home and both in the 8th inning of what would have been a series clincher.  Although the KC game gets extra points because I was there.

It's kind of crazy that there was only 1 HR in the series.  Baseball was different back then, especially at the dome.  Mike Schmidt only had 1 RBI all series.  f Manny Trillo.

That's really the story of Houston Astros post-seasons. Blowing games they lead late.

1986 - lead game 3 and 6 in the 9th, only for Dave Smith to blow them both.

2004 - lead game 7 against the Cardinals going into the bottom of the 6th, to give up 3 runs. Though that was Clemens.

2005 - lead game 5 against the Cardinals going into the bottom of the 9th, Lidge blows it. Oswalt completely shuts down game 6, but the rotation is screwed for the WS.

2015 - lead game 4 on the Royals, for the bullpen to completely blow it in the 8th.

2019 - Astros lead game 6 over the Yankees, only for Osuna to give up the game tying 2 run homer in the 9th, Altuve walks it off in the bottom of the 9th.

2019 - Astros have a 2-0 lead in game 7 heading into the 7th. Bullpen gives up 4 runs in the final 2.2 IP.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:30 PM, Js1 said:

It’s Carlos, isn’t it?

23 hours ago, runthebone said:

Safe assumption until we know more.

17 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Correa won’t catch it until day before the season starts.  Can’t be using up his sick days now when there are no games to miss.

Y’all find a new whipping boy. 

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Because 1 title won through cheating > 27 titles won the right way.

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Negging Dennis Taylor for baiting Helo into the Astros thread. Negging Helo for biting. 

Negging you both for being bitches.

I'd say getting bounced 3x in 5 years establishes paternity in recent history.  And save me your cheating shit when yankees are just as guilty and resort to legal action to avoid the truth coming out...what are they afraid of?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

by spending everyone else into oblivion in a sport with no salary cap?

Sorry that you hate free markets & capitalism. 

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Aren't you from the Valley?

Yeah. It's 6 hours from Houston and the Astros were never on TV, can't imagine why I never felt a connection with them. 

10 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, that's fine.  It's just that you jumped on the bandwagon of the biggest winners from two thousand miles away, and now you're talking shit to a bunch of guys who grew up watching Nolan Ryan in the Dome.  And your bandwagon team is just as guilty of cheating as our hometown team is, so you can shelve the sanctimonious crap. 

Have you ever even been to The Bronx?

I’ve seen 5 games at Yankee stadium, including 1 at the old one as a kid. Major lulz at Astros fans calling anyone else “bandwagon”. I think I went to MMP once a summer from like 09-13, tickets were so cheap. Don’t know that I ever saw it more than 30% full. Well except for Pettitte’s farewell the last weekend of 2013. Imagine that. 

Hey, that's great.  You should go make a Yankees 2020 season thread.  I'm sure there's some guy from Lubbock who wants to brag with you about championships from before y'all were born and talk about how your cheating doesn't really count.  Bye, Felicia.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I’ve seen 5 games at Yankee stadium, including 1 at the old one as a kid. Major lulz at Astros fans calling anyone else “bandwagon”. I think I went to MMP once a summer from like 09-13, tickets were so cheap. Don’t know that I ever saw it more than 30% full. Well except for Pettitte’s farewell the last weekend of 2013. Imagine that. 

the insult you’re looking for is “front-runner” or “fair-weather fan”, not bandwagon. 

most of us here have been astros fans for decades, and spent more time from 09-13 following our minor league system than packing the stadium.

you might be familiar with some of those players. since 2015, they were the last thing your guys saw before they went home, more often than not. 

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, WBT said:

Houston is indeed full of front running fans, but there are plenty of familiar names on this 78 page non-bandwagoner thread:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/104328-Official-2012-Houston-Astros-Thread?s=002de9309827bb8445c616cde55eb5e7

page 1 holler.

also i ~ predicted the jersey changes on page 2.