Rude mom is worried about your nuts

Vito Andolini

She doesn’t want them anywhere near her son.

https://news.yahoo.com/mum-warning-parents-son-allergic-reaction-halloween-sweets-130801137.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_15

A mum has issued a warning to other parents ahead of Halloween after her son almost died from eating trick or treat sweets.

Joanna Quinn, 41, took her 11-year-old son Aiden trick or treating near their house in Glasgow and came home with a haul of chocolate and sweets from her neighbours.

Being cautious of her son's serious nut allergy, Joanna made sure Aiden didn't accept anything that contained a trace of nuts.

But just days later, while he was was eating one of the lollipops he’d received on the night, he told his mother that his lips felt funny.

On closer inspection Joanna realised that her son’s lips were bumpy and swollen.

The allergy medication the mum gave him didn't help reduce the reaction, and instead he started to vomit.

"After calling the NHS helpline to see what I could do I quickly rushed him to A&E where he was sent to the resuscitation ward to open his airway,” Joanna explains.

spacer.png

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My son has nut allergies.  It is OUR responsibilty to keep him safe.  You're an effing idiot if you call don't expect cross-contamination in a bag of Halloween candy.

Out of curiosity do you let him go trick or treating?  Just take what he gets and switch it out with a bag of something he loves?

My son has nut allergies.  It is OUR responsibilty to keep him safe.  You're an effing idiot if you call don't expect cross-contamination in a bag of Halloween candy.

Gluten, dairy and egg allergy here. We take her trick or treating and swap what she gets our with either something she can eat or something her sister got. We are lucky in that none of her allergies cause breathing issues, but either way it’s our responsibility. Just the other day my wife gave her some hard candy she got at our church and then realized it had egg in it. Never would’ve guessed, but it was our fault for not checking first.

Nut allergies are frickin scary.  Friend has a child with one.  They were on a cruise.  Walked past a table or something with a dish containing nuts, and he (kid) had a reaction.  So the particulates in the air caused a reaction.  I felt so bad for both the parents, but especially the kid.  Not his fault.  

57 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Out of curiosity do you let him go trick or treating?  Just take what he gets and switch it out with a bag of something he loves?

We switch the candy out.  Lil bro is willing to trade.  He's grown out of, what his allergist believes is, a fatal reaction.  We're not going to test this theory, but we're a tad less fearful these days. 

I am severely allergic to nuts, to the point that I have only had relations with women.  (No, seriously, a peanut could kill me.)

Letting an allergic kid just randomly eat the candy you deemed "safe" in his bucket after purging the nutty stuff is borderline malfeasance.  Take that shit to the office and have a different nut-free haul waiting for him at home.

The wife's (no pics) step-sister (you don't want pics) eight year-old son has a nut allergy so severe that even particles in the air cause his airway to close. She is a vet and as such knows how to deal with it; always has a supply of three epi pens on hand, meticulously checks ingredient lists, etc.  As a large animal vet, she's sometimes around nut shells when making calls to treat animals and knows how to not bring any particulate matter home.  But she realizes this is her and his issue, and she handles it; she doesn't expect the world to adapt to her.

Edited by Dutch

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

We switch the candy out.  Lil bro is willing to trade.  He's grown out of, what his allergist believes is, a fatal reaction.  We're not going to test this theory, but we're a tad less fearful these days. 

Our youngest did this with severe reactions to peanuts, pecans, almonds, etc.  When he was about 5, my mom was not paying attention and gave him some sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving that had a pecan crumble on top. We thought he was going to freaking die. We had the epi-pens at his schools and the whole drill after that. When he was 16-17, the allergist said his tests were coming back almost normal on those items.  Now he has no reaction at all to peanut butter or whatever.    Allergist said if we wanted to try coconut or some substance to which he had been historically reactive; just to make sure we did it at his office if we were leery.

On Halloween, we did what you describe.  He could trick-or-treat like normal, but we Bogarted all of the snickers and Reeses, LOL.  His grandparents would get him a shit-ton of Nerds, Sprees, or Skittles to make up the difference.

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I am severely allergic to nuts, to the point that I have only had relations with women.  (No, seriously, a peanut could kill me.)

Letting an allergic kid just randomly eat the candy you deemed "safe" in his bucket after purging the nutty stuff is borderline malfeasance.  Take that shit to the office and have a different nut-free haul waiting for him at home.

I don't think he'd be interested until later, maybe...

na_5c9cca56a93a3.jpg

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

This is my nephew. I once clearly won Uncle of the Year by bringing the equivalent of a recesses peanut butter cake topped with crushed peanuts on top over to their house to watch football.

Edited by Jameslaw121
  • Haha 1

My daughter has a peanut allergy. When she can she picks the non-peanut candy while trick or treating. 

When someone just drops something in her bag with peanuts in it she just says thanks and moves on. 

Once we are home I get all the Snickers and Reese's.

45 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

This is my nephew. I once clearly won Uncle of the Year by bringing the equivalent of a recesses peanut butter cake topped with crushed peanuts on top over to their house to watch football.

My allergy to soy is almost as bad as it is to nuts, which is to say "near fatal".  I went to my wife's sister's house (no pics, not her either) for a dinner party once when she served what I assumed was veggie lasagna.  I mean, she knew all about my dietary restrictions.  I took a big bite, realized it was probably soy and asked "is this tofu lasagna?"

"No, it's TVP lasagna.  Said so right on the package."

Uhhh . . . <head to bathroom to puke up what little I had eaten>

Didn’t you try to kill your ex FIL too?

“Ms. Quinn? This is Yahoo News! We love the way the piece on Aiden came out, and we’re really happy to hear he’s doing better! As you know, we try to do things right here at Yahoo News, so we’d love to have a photo of you and Aiden to accompany the article. Our readers will expect it, because after all, we are Yahoo News! Do you happen to have one of him in his Halloween costume?”

”I have one where I’m in a bathing suit and my tits look pretty good.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Its totally on us to watch what our kid eats since he has a peanut allergy.  That said, someone brought chocolate chip cookies to the party last night... they had peanuts inside them (WTF).  Anyway, he took a couple of bites, spit them out and said, I guess I'll eat these with sprinkles.  All good.  Our doesn't have a severe allergy and I'll gladly take all his Reese's stuff.  I think its on the parents to watch but some people need to not be dumbasses about it.  As for wrapped candy, you're kid is going to be fine if they just don't eat it.  If you're that worried, accompany your kid.

Looking back on the incident Joanna believes that the lollipop stick had been in contact with nuts, which triggered Aiden's allergic reaction.

Don't even want to know

Edited by texasdago

Not sure if it's been covered, but it seems to me that nut allergies have increased dramatically over the years.  When I was in large public schools in Texas in the mid to late 70's I never heard of a nut allergy that could be fatal.  Many people had food (myself included) and insect bite allergies, but the reactions were more of an inconvenience than life-threatening.  Was it not publicized back then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lol.  Got to school and found that my wife had already cleaned out the "bad" stuff and put it in my bag.  Too bad for me though as I don't like or eat sweets.  My students, however, are quite content.

Haha.  Send them home amped up on sugar.

Poetic justice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Not sure if it's been covered, but it seems to me that nut allergies have increased dramatically over the years.  When I was in large public schools in Texas in the mid to late 70's I never heard of a nut allergy that could be fatal.  Many people had food (myself included) and insect bite allergies, but the reactions were more of an inconvenience than life-threatening.  Was it not publicized back then?

This is my perception too, but I have never really looked for data on the matter.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

One of the episodes of Rotten on Netflix discussed this.  Apparently the consensus thinking of pediatricians of not exposing newborns to anything until a certain age helped breed this new age of food allergies.

• Like 4