Rude mom is worried about your nuts

Vito Andolini

16 hours ago, Hate said:

There is a kid named Aiden that lives just up the street.  He and my son hang out every once in a while, but we don't allow that kid in our house anymore.  He's a dick.

Look, my sister tries hard, but she's a terrible single mother.  And yes, my nephew is a dick.  I'm sorry, okay. 

• Like 1

My allergy to soy is almost as bad as it is to nuts, which is to say "near fatal".  I went to my wife's sister's house (no pics, not her either) for a dinner party once when she served what I assumed was veggie lasagna.  I mean, she knew all about my dietary restrictions.  I took a big bite, realized it was probably soy and asked "is this tofu lasagna?"
"No, it's TVP lasagna.  Said so right on the package."
Uhhh . . .

You know if we were all typing in this messaging forum back in the caveman days, none of jj’s posts would be on here because he’d have been dead already.

10 hours ago, HouTex said:

Not sure if it's been covered, but it seems to me that nut allergies have increased dramatically over the years.  When I was in large public schools in Texas in the mid to late 70's I never heard of a nut allergy that could be fatal.  Many people had food (myself included) and insect bite allergies, but the reactions were more of an inconvenience than life-threatening.  Was it not publicized back then?

You know how back in Armybrat's day, people who had diabetes usually didn't live long, thanks to no access to insulin shots?

Apply that to EpiPens

Spoiler

I actually don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that people who had nut allergies used to die very young, with very little in the way of medical explanation - Hell, people with diabetes couldn't easily and reliably take care of it on their own until the 60s/70s).

Gluten, dairy and egg allergy here. We take her trick or treating and swap what she gets our with either something she can eat or something her sister got.

Ditto and add some nut allergies in the family here, but can cause vomiting, rash, hives and breathing issues (egg). We have also removed dyes from the kids diet so most candy is out.

I had replacement items for my kids and a few neighbors know our kids allergies and are kind enough to accommodate. I expect nothing.

My neighborhood rocks.

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

Is the solution to micro dose peanuts when your young so that ones body doesn’t have the reaction?

Yes actually. The current science says that you lessen the chances of allergy by introducing peanut butter to your child at an early age. Highest risk infants should try  peanut butter as early as 4-6 months.

On 10/31/2019 at 2:06 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

My son has nut allergies.  It is OUR responsibilty to keep him safe.  You're an effing idiot if you call don't expect cross-contamination in a bag of Halloween candy.

Yeah?  I was allergic to chocolate....(and just about everything else)...  fucking chocolate, man.   I wouldn't die, just end up with an ass kicking asthma attack.   I used have to trade all my chocolate Halloween candy to my brother for his non chocolate (suck ass) candy.  One year I decided to hell with that and I ate a shit load of the chocolate (because Karob can suck a dick)  I was fine...  young Loco was pissed.

I had bad allergies including nuts. (thanks British Isles heritage)  The Allergy test panel that they do put 10yr old me in the hospital.  Overtime some allergies have gone completely (eggs, chocolate, dogs) and others haven't.  Nuts still make me react and I avoid them in all their sneaky forms...almond paste, screw you.  I don't eat store made cookies/brownies/cakes etc.

I do think that if you can tolerate exposure safely, it does help reduce the severity of the reaction.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Yes actually. The current science says that you lessen the chances of allergy by introducing peanut butter to your child at an early age. Highest risk infants should try  peanut butter as early as 4-6 months.

But, I actually mean after the fact, someone known to have a peanut allergy.

I have a barely 4 year old who's mom is looking for reasons why he behaves like a 4 year old. She's cut him off from milk, pork, and beef based off of some blood test. What grown ass man still drinks milk? But now how in the fuck can I enjoy pizza or camping?

Edited by JohnnyRage

We found out I was hyperallergic to nuts when I asked my dad if I could eat a peanut that was in a bowl on our coffee table.  It was probably 1/4 of a nut.  I was a toddler.  Puke city.  Not sure if microdosing would have helped, but that was a pretty small does itself.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

If you dont drink milk you're a fucking communist 

Fuck yes.   

And if you don’t occasionally work through part of a bag of Chips Ahoy with a couple of glasses of milk, you’re a dirty communist.  

No point in being an adult if you can’t do the things parents don’t want you to do.   

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 3

My daughter had an allergic reaction to peanut butter the first time she tried it back in July 2016. Ive had a snicker bar September 2016, pack of peanut m&ms May 2018 and maybe something else one other time the last 3+yrs.Only when i know ill be out of town and not see her that same day is when ill eat a cheat snack. Its scary but its the new life for our family. My wife is terrified of peanuts now, she doubts she'll eat one again. Dec 2018 we had her blood tested just to see her IGE numbers were. They showed 0/not allergic. Which is encouraging that she outgrew the allergy but it could be a false positive as we've read in nut groups on facebook of kids getting negative skin and blood tests but failing a food challenge.

We want to food challenge next summer before she starts pre school. We did the bag switch on halloween too, and it worked fine. Got some fun puzzles, safe candy and match games which she kicks my ass in.

Wife and i use sun butter as an alternative. Sun butter crunch is the freaking bomb on toast, but ive always preferred sunflower seeds to peanuts my whole life. Very interesting to see other members also have food allergy issues and to read their stories. Managing a peanut allergy has become pretty routine for us... the egg, dairy, soy would be very challenging

The dairy has kicked our ass. You don’t realize what all it is in until you can’t figure out why you can’t stop your kid’s diarrhea. I never would have guessed that meat sticks have dairy in them until we started reading every label. McDonalds fries is another weird one that contains dairy and a shit ton of other stuff.

We see Dr Kendall Brown in Plano and he has been awesome with us.

On 10/31/2019 at 1:06 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

My son has nut allergies.  It is OUR responsibilty to keep him safe.  You're an effing idiot if you call don't expect cross-contamination in a bag of Halloween candy.

This.  It ain't up to the rest of the world to twist ourselves in a prezel over the safety of this broad's rugrat.

Props to you for owning what needs to be owned.

On 11/2/2019 at 8:12 AM, HenryJames said:

We did that. They really liked the tiny doses at breakfasts. Several breakfasts later, and then even a few hours after, the vomiting started. Within a minute of each other, they woke up from naps to puke in their cribs in different rooms. Baffled, we tried again. The 2nd time was ugly enough to make the wife insist we go to ER... Over the next few months, allergy tests indicated they're not allergic to peanuts, but apparently they are intolerant of the protein. They're expected to grow out of it around 2, so we get to play vomit roulette soon. No family history of any food allergies. 

59 minutes ago, B00M said:

We did that. They really liked the tiny doses at breakfasts. Several breakfasts later, and then even a few hours after, the vomiting started. Within a minute of each other, they woke up from naps to puke in their cribs in different rooms. Baffled, we tried again. The 2nd time was ugly enough to make the wife insist we go to ER... Over the next few months, allergy tests indicated they're not allergic to peanuts, but apparently they are intolerant of the protein. They're expected to grow out of it around 2, so we get to play vomit roulette soon. No family history of any food allergies. 

They make these peanut snacks called “bamba snacks” that we used for both our kids. They are like a puffed Cheeto consistency at first, but pretty much melt In the mouth so fine for kids without teeth. They sell them at Trader Joe’s, and other places. They are pretty tasty for older kids and adults too who don’t have peanut allergies. So you should go that route when you’re ready to try again. 

On 11/1/2019 at 11:00 AM, texasdago said:

Its totally on us to watch what our kid eats since he has a peanut allergy.  That said, someone brought chocolate chip cookies to the party last night... they had peanuts inside them (WTF).  Anyway, he took a couple of bites, spit them out and said, I guess I'll eat these with sprinkles.  All good.  Our doesn't have a severe allergy and I'll gladly take all his Reese's stuff.  I think its on the parents to watch but some people need to not be dumbasses about it.  As for wrapped candy, you're kid is going to be fine if they just don't eat it.  If you're that worried, accompany your kid.

Looking back on the incident Joanna believes that the lollipop stick had been in contact with nuts, which triggered Aiden's allergic reaction.

Don't even want to know

Edited by Lone Star Horn
bolded

On 10/31/2019 at 6:10 PM, jimmyjazz said:

My allergy to soy is almost as bad as it is to nuts, which is to say "near fatal".  I went to my wife's sister's house (no pics, not her either) for a dinner party once when she served what I assumed was veggie lasagna.  I mean, she knew all about my dietary restrictions.  I took a big bite, realized it was probably soy and asked "is this tofu lasagna?"

"No, it's TVP lasagna.  Said so right on the package."

Uhhh . . . <head to bathroom to puke up what little I had eaten>

I looked up "TVP" as I had no clue.  I wish I hadn't.

A glass of whole milk with the gluten free chocolate chip cookies from Trader Joes is the best. Fight me.

If you are in Dallas and don’t eat gluten or are vegan, check out Reverie Bakeshop on Coit Road https://www.instagram.com/reveriebakeshop/

Their stuff is amazing and they have a wide variety of sweets and other options that you wouldn’t normally find that doesn’t have egg, dairy or gluten. If it was sarcasm, I’ll get my meter adjusted.

On 11/2/2019 at 4:01 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Fuck yes.   

And if you don’t occasionally work through part of a bag of Chips Ahoy with a couple of glasses of milk, you’re a dirty communist.  

No point in being an adult if you can’t do the things parents don’t want you to do.   

I'll drink some milk and then lock you in a room with me.  The air will be combustible within an hour.