Earl Campbell Thinks the Texas Longhorns Need a Black QB To Win

Vic Mackey

Popcorn.gif

GettyImages-916009402.jpg

Sam Ehlinger, who is young Caucasian man, is currently the top quarterback for the Texas Longhorns. A former Longhorns star thinks his team needs a black quarterback in order to get back to a national championship level.

64-year-old Earl Campbell told The Statesman that the Longhorns need to get a black quarterback who can run and pass.

“Until the University of Texas realizes you have to have a black quarterback, and nothing against Ehlinger, you got to have a talented, black quarterback,” Campbell told Kirk Bohls of The Statesman. “All these schools that are winning, even in the pros, have black quarterbacks. When guys are not open, something can still happen.”

Campbell was the star RB at Texas before getting selected No. 1 overall in the 1978 NFL Draft. He would go on to list several black quarterbacks who have had success, with him being a big fan of Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts.

“He reminds me of myself,” Earl said of Hurts. “He’s a calm individual. He doesn’t get too excited and keeps it all inside. (Alabama coach) Nick Saban did all he could to kill his motivation. Jalen is one of the most classy individuals I’ve ever seen play sports. It looks like Oklahoma is going to win the Heisman a third year in a row. It looks like he’s not even running, like he’s walking.”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Colt McCoy, Trevor Lawrence, Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, Baker Mayfield

Yeah I find it funny that the last success we actually had was with a white QB. 2006, 2008 and 2009 were all years we had a legit shot to win it all. More so 2008 and 2009. And we have tried black QBs this decade that flamed out.

• Like 1

Seriously though, this is a pretty dysfunctional thing to be allowed to go public. Especially from a man who didn't think a black quarterback was worthy of his Heisman vote. Thanks Kurt this makes us all look like clowns and idiots. I guess Sam and Herman are going to have to publicly respond to this shit now.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Maybe by “black quarterback” he meant a QB who can scramble.

100% this. And not just scrambler like Sam. It was a poorly worded way of saying we need a qb that is an explosive scrambler. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant, but it definitely helps hide the flaws of a shitty OC/coaching staff. I don’t view Earl any differently after these comments. He’s an old ass man that gave a poorly worded answer.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Maybe by “black quarterback” he meant a QB who can scramble.

Maybe. But of course there have been plenty of "talented black quarterbacks" who couldn't do that. Teddy Bridgewater if you demand a recent example.

If he wanted to say we need somebody like Michael Vick or Vince Young back there well...sure but those guys are not exactly typical black quarterbacks.

Still need a defense though.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

100% this. And not just scrambler like Sam. It was a poorly worded way of saying we need a qb that is an explosive scrambler. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant, but it definitely helps hide the flaws of a shitty OC/coaching staff. I don’t view Earl any differently after these comments. He’s an old ass man that gave a poorly worded answer.

No need to fluff it up for Earl. He meant what he said, and what he said was stupid. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Hedunnf’dup and you can choose to ignore the truth if you want but it doesn’t change the underlying nature of the statement.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

No need to fluff it up for Earl. He meant what he said, and what he said was stupid. 

13 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Hedunnf’dup and you can choose to ignore the truth if you want but it doesn’t change the underlying nature of the statement.

He doesn’t think it’s possible for a white qb to be an explosive runner. Like, a guy that could house it from 50 yards out and be considered one of the best athletes on the field. If that’s the part you have a problem with, then fine. I really don’t think he meant this team isn’t going to get behind a white qb, but maybe I’m just giving him the benefit of the doubt more than I should. I can admit that

Edited by youdunnf'dup

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Flip the skin color in this scenario around and that’s not all we’d be saying.

Well, it was flipped and was being said for the last few decades, now not so much.  Ability based upon skin color was a bad take before and its a bad take now.   Take a nap Earl.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Girdwood said:

Fucking idiot. Cut all ties with him. Unretire his number. We don’t need bigotry and racism associated with the University. 

Luckily he’ll be dead soon so he can shut the fuck up for good.

Ban this motherfucking troll. Neg him to oblivion. He was doing similar shit in the Astros thread. 

• Like 9

The best response is "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear you say that."  

I'm not offended but if it was said at a public event (the photo implies it was) at the very least it was an uncomfortable moment.  

We all like those videos of Earl head butting people but I guess it has take its toll.

Edited by Bullneck

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

D'Eriq King was pretty good under Herman at Houston. So was JT Barrett and Cardale Jones...

Sam has been pretty good too. Just look at the overall numbers. If he was more accurate, had receivers consistently open, and made a handful of better decisions, Texas would be in the CFP discussion and he’d still be talked about for the QB trophy. None of those have anything to do with his scrambling ability which is pretty good when the play calling is above average and he’s making good decisions.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Girdwood said:

Fucking idiot. Cut all ties with him. Unretire his number. We don’t need bigotry and racism associated with the University. 

Luckily he'll be dead soon? Gtfo with that shit.

5 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Ah it's a Kirk Bowels movement huh. Nasty. Should be ignored.

When a black man makes a racist statement, we should ignore it? Fuck Kirk but I don’t blame him anymore than I would if Colt said something similar and he wrote about it. I don’t want to only hear news which supports my agenda.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Girdwood said:

I'm wondering who ever thought it would be a good idea to +rep you.  

46 minutes ago, Girdwood said:

Get over yourself.

Earl said something non pc and that hurts your pussy.

Dude ain't a racist and his legacy will live on around here long past your vaginal sorry ass.

• Like 2