Parasite

SubliminalHorn

I just saw it.  It was good.  Weird but good in a holy shit kind of way.  Still not sure what I think of it.  

Edit to add: not sure what else to say without spoilers.  It sorta defies typical descriptions with a weird mix of horror and dark comedy.

Edited by lemonlime

saw it last weekend and thought it was great.  maybe not the best movie of the year, but will probably end up in my top 5 by year's end.   i think part of it for me may be that i knew almost nothing about it going in (sort of half watched a trailer) and had no expectations.  definitely worth seeing at the theater.  

Acting was top notch. Directing was top notch. It just fell a little short in the story, at least how it wrapped up. Just a little, nothing major.

On 11/2/2019 at 7:11 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Jessica has my yellow fever spiking

Agreed. She's not classically beautiful but her character is appealing.

20 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Saw it with a nouveau riche friend of mine, whose reaction was "I didn't like it because those nice rich people didn't deserve anything that happened." Money truly rewires the brain. 

They didn't.  Nothing in the story would indicate that.  Wealth is not guilt.  

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

They didn't.  Nothing in the story would indicate that.  Wealth is not guilt.  

My favorite movie is Starship Troopers because it just shows how badass war and being in the army and government is. I also love Goodfellas and Wolf of Wall Street because the guys in those movies are fucking cool and the point of the movies is how awesome those guys are. Fuck I love understanding movies. 

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

SPOILERS

Just saw it. It was good. The first half was pretty brilliant yet maybe a tad derivative of Shakespeare's catalogue in form and structure (at least that was the vibe I got). The second half drifts a bit. I don't understand why today's film director can't let fantastic technical filmmaking stand on it's own. There always has to be some shock value. Some je na se quoi. Just fucking make a great movie. Leave it alone for once.

What ultimately bugged me was of course part of the ending. The "poor" father murdering the rich father in cold blood made no sense to me. I mean none. If it's supposed to be a working-class commentary then let it be as such. It displayed as much from the beginning. If it needs violence and shock value then Jessica's murder does fine. 

The second part that I didn't understand was the young, rich child's complete lack of character development (the "artistic" kid). It seemed like any time he sneezed the plot did a 180, yet he was never really introduced or brought into the screenplay in any meaningful way. 

It could have been fantastic - even a classic. Ultimately it will be forgettable just like 99% of everything made since 2007ish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw it again yesterday.  Spoilers, obviously.

I always knew that the son's plan to buy the house was a pipe dream, but what I missed the first time was how he started his letter with something like "father, I have a plan..."

Which echoes back to what his dad said - "You know what kind of plan never fails? No plan. No plan at all. You know why? Because life cannot be planned. Look around you. Did you think these people made a plan to sleep in the sports hall with you? But here we are now, sleeeping together on the floor. So, there's no need for a plan. You can't go wrong with no plans. We don't need to make a plan for anything. It doesn't matter what will happen next."

It was fabulous.  Still sticking with me.  

Both families are parasites.  the working class family obviously in how they work their way in and live off the rich.  The rich family in that they need the working class folks to facilitate their lifestyle. Knowing the director's history gives insight into how he wants you to observe the movie.

And Mr. Kim snapped.  The commentary about his smell combined with the rich dad's facial reaction to the smell of the former housekeeper's husband made him break.  

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I want to see it but I really hate subtitles.

Hard to watch the actual film while reading the dialogue.

Heard nothing but great things about it however. 

I do too, but this one's worth it.  Just like I hate musicals, but La La Land was worth it. 

My wife was not happy 20 seconds in when she realized the whole thing was subtitles.  She loved it and is now selling everybody on watching it.

Saw it today and it was great. I would watch it again with recent releases like Uncut Gems and 1917.  
So many questions and observations made in this thread makes the film more intriguing.  Catching the pre-movie Birth Movies Death at Alamo gave a little insight to the director for me as I had not seen any of his films.  Go in with an open mind and prepare to be shocked/surprised and not disappointed. 

side note: the ‘wealthy’ Mom was hot as balls. And her hot Mom friends that were invited over for the party.....oh myyyyy. Makes Al want to relocate South of the 38th parallel.  Al like watching the LPGA for a reason. 

I'd heard it was excellent. I was pretty disappointed. It was kind of interesting, but not particularly believable and the characters were kind of one-dimensional. Of course, I was hoping for a zombie flick along the lines of "Train to Busan", which was a very strong 7.5 on IMDB. Funny, good story, exciting. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5700672/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Saw it today and it was great. I would watch it again with recent releases like Uncut Gems and 1917.  
So many questions and observations made in this thread makes the film more intriguing.  Catching the pre-movie Birth Movies Death at Alamo gave a little insight to the director for me as I had not seen any of his films.  Go in with an open mind and prepare to be shocked/surprised and not disappointed. 

side note: the ‘wealthy’ Mom was hot as balls. And her hot Mom friends that were invited over for the party.....oh myyyyy. Makes Al want to relocate South of the 38th parallel.  Al like watching the LPGA for a reason. 

Curious as to what “shocked/ surprised you”?  I think reading many comments just like this before the movie made my expectations way too high. 

Liked the movie fine, but no reason to see it in a theater. IMO

Edited by ChickenSandwich

7 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Curious as to what “shocked/ surprised you”?  I think reading many comments just like this before the movie made my expectations way too high. 

Same thing happened to me.  I thought it was a good movie, but it's over-hyped due to the foreign angle.  If it were an American movie, it wouldn't have received nearly as much acclaim.  

• Like 1