Parasite

SubliminalHorn

8 hours ago, Augustus said:

I've traveled throughout India and Nepal.

We don't have poverty in the USA.  Not compared to those places, nowhere close.

And we're as capitalist as it gets.  If there's a better solution I'm all for it, but no one's found it yet.

Now do Denmark.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tuco said:

Now do Denmark.  

Population 6 million.  Capitalist, free market economy with extensive welfare provisions.

Poor comparison for the US with 330 mil.

The Scandinavian countries are actually are really strong argument for why Texas could be a self-sufficient nation with a very, very high standard of living for its citizens.

(I'm not arguing for secession. Just an observation)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Super insightful, tell us more. 

It's beginning to feel like a lost insight.  Turn on the tv, listen to the news, peruse social media, and you'd think the middle and lower classes of the US were the most oppressed on earth.

We're so spoiled rotten it's really something to witness.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Population 6 million.  Capitalist, free market economy with extensive welfare provisions.

Poor comparison for the US with 330 mil.

The Scandinavian countries are actually are really strong argument for why Texas could be a self-sufficient nation with a very, very high standard of living for its citizens.

(I'm not arguing for secession. Just an observation)

But beers are almost 10 bucks.  So think twice, Texans.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Augustus said:

I've traveled throughout India and Nepal.

We don't have poverty in the USA.  Not compared to those places, nowhere close.

And we're as capitalist as it gets.  If there's a better solution I'm all for it, but no one's found it yet.

Puerto Rico is the poorest place I’ve been.  And I’ve been to Cambodia. 

The irony of someone named Augustus pontificating on what economic systems colonized people should adopt is amusing.

Regarding using South Korea as a comp, their education system is bad ass. But their job prospects, as depicted in this movie, are limited.

In Austin, for comparison, the public school system is not as robust, but the type of poverty depicted is about what nearly 60% of kids experience. Have cell phones and homes but are one bad day from catastrophe. Eat junk food. Scrape by. Priorities out of whack.

The movie resonates. I thought it depicted everyone as a parasite of each other. Depressing.

8 hours ago, DallasGatr said:

And my point is the abject poverty in America (or its territory’s) ain’t shit compared to the abject poverty in much of the rest of the world.

Well, it's poverty rate is 44.9%.  The major countries on either side in the world rankings according to the CIA (if it were it's own nation) would be Niger and Equatorial Guinea.  It has the 34th highest poverty rate in the world. 

But your point that there are in fact 33 poorer places is well put.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DallasGatr said:

And my point is the abject poverty in America (or its territory’s) ain’t shit compared to the abject poverty in much of the rest of the world.

again, yes.  we have plenty of relative poverty in america.  absolute poverty not so much.  basic human needs are available to most people if they seek them. 

• 3 months later...

Dammit, should have watched this sooner, but I'm anti-movie theater and netflix finally sent the fucker to me.

Damn finely crafted film.  If I hadn't known it was nominated for a best picture would have probably left it at that.   When I think about what got nominated, it certainly was more deserving than most of those nominees.  But didn't blow me away, and I was expecting that.

I liked it. Definitely worth free on Hulu. I don’t watch tv or movies for deep meaning so I’ll leave that to you guys.  No real heroes or anti heros In my opinion, just people with some likable and some despicable qualities. 

Two things I don’t fully understand. First, what was the plan when the friend came back? He’d surely be expecting to tutor the girl again or would at least in some way find that the family had taken over all the service roles. Second, probation for that? I know outside justice systems are really different than ours but damn two people died as a culmination of their fraud including a very important wealthy person. If wealth inequality is really a problem in South Korea I don’t see how they get off with fucking probation.

Edited by 'stache