Did a search and didn't find anything. Looking to purchase a set of AT truck tires. Been buying the BfGoodrich All-terrain T/A. Been getting around 40K on the last two pairs. Anyone running something they really like versus what I'm currently using. like to keep it around 1200 or less for a set. Thanks in advance.

I love my KO2’s, but damn they are expensive. Although Sams is having an $80 off per tire on BFG right now. Buddy was bragging he got 4 KO2s mounted for 750. Fucker.

Cooper makes a good tire. My last set was the AT3’s and they were great, I just wanted more aggressive. The ST Maxx I hear really good things about.

Nearly went Falken Wildpeak AT3’s, people rave about them, but nobody had stock in Austin. 

Im hearing good things about the new Generals, (ATX I think? Replacement for the AT2,) but they just came out like last week, so I might sit and wait.

2 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

I love my KO2’s, but damn they are expensive. Although Sams is having an $80 off per tire on BFG right now. Buddy was bragging he got 4 KO2s mounted for 750. Fucker.

Cooper makes a good tire. My last set was the AT3’s and they were great, I just wanted more aggressive. The ST Maxx I hear really good things about.

Nearly went Falken Wildpeak AT3’s, people rave about them, but nobody had stock in Austin. 

Im hearing good things about the new Generals, (ATX I think? Replacement for the AT2,) but they just came out like last week, so I might sit and wait.

thanks. what does a set of KO2's typically run? im okay with $1200 for a set of tires

13 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

lol. I just went out and checked my BFG and they are the KO2's Baja Champion. yea there around 1200 all in at discount tire. been running them last couple of sets. 

19 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

lol. I just went out and checked my BFG and they are the KO2's Baja Champion. yea there around 1200 all in at discount tire. been running them last couple of sets. 

I’d check Sams as well. Even if you had to buy a membership it might still be cheaper

Edited by UnivTex34

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Do whatever the guys at Discount Tire recommend, plus always buy the road hazard warranty.

Maybe for road tires, but when I got my BFGs I had 20 minutes of the salesman pushing their in house AT like it was the greatest thing ever, checked reviews and they were shit.

Theyre agressive, just not as aggressive as those hybrid Nittos.1c575aa8720888982f9c3701fd70fee6.jpg4ace2989d34ebfea0a6e25cfc00c124c.jpg

They have a warehouse in Dallas, so it will take 2 days to get them since Discount doesn't stock them.
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by Yarbr

25 minutes ago, Yarbr said:

Theyre agressive, just not as aggressive as those hybrid Nittos.1c575aa8720888982f9c3701fd70fee6.jpg4ace2989d34ebfea0a6e25cfc00c124c.jpg

They have a warehouse in Dallas, so it will take 2 days to get them since Discount doesn't stock them.

Yeah, like I said, heard great things. But I just got back from big bend, drove back on spare. Needed tires right now. Those will probably be my next.

27 minutes ago, Yarbr said:

those look good. thanks for the picture.

[mention=25]Anton Chigurh[/mention] anything to add? 

I feel like if mileage is a big concern, ATs may not be the best choice.

i did get 40k on my coopers before a rock fucked them in big bend. Easily had 25k more miles. Were not even half worn yet.

Holy hell you got 40K after you bought them from me? That’s a lot of driving.

I have KO2s now. I will stay with them or get Cooper ST Maxx in a “pizza cutter” size for my next set.

The advantage of the KO2 or ST Maxx is that they have a very tough sidewall, so they are great in rocky terrain.

25 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Holy hell you got 40K after you bought them from me? That’s a lot of driving.

I have KO2s now. I will stay with them or get Cooper ST Maxx in a “pizza cutter” size for my next set.

The advantage of the KO2 or ST Maxx is that they have a very tough sidewall, so they are great in rocky terrain.

Yeah. 

I've put almost 200k on 3 different sets of general grabber AT2's on 3 different vehicles and I won't look anywhere else. 50k treadwear warranty and they go through everything. 

Getting a set of the new AT X's mounted up on an old Rover I'm restoring. 

20 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Over on TexasBowHunter ive read of guys getting 65K on Nitto's Grappler. Kinda wanting to see if anyone else runs those

I’ve been through 2 sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers on a RAM 2500. 1st set I got 65K miles out of them before I swapped them out for 2nd set and just switched them out at 68K miles.   Rotated every 5-6k miles.   Lots and lots of highway miles between Houston and Uvalde.  At deer lease the tires saw lots of rough, rocky senderos and plenty of mud and a lots of heavy trailering. 

I was so pleased with the Nittos that I replaced them with Toyo which are slightly more expensive and rated for more miles.  Pleased with them so far.  

Getting a new F350 in June / July.  Going back to Nitto because Toyo doesn’t make a tire rated for F350s.  

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

I’ve been through 2 sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers on a RAM 2500. 1st set I got 65K miles out of them before I swapped them out for 2nd set and just switched them out at 68K miles.   Rotated every 5-6k miles.   Lots and lots of highway miles between Houston and Uvalde.  At deer lease the tires saw lots of rough, rocky senderos and plenty of mud and a lots of heavy trailering. 

I was so pleased with the Nittos that I replaced them with Toyo which are slightly more expensive and rated for more miles.  Pleased with them so far.  

Getting a new F350 in June / July.  Going back to Nitto because Toyo doesn’t make a tire rated for F350s.  

this is what i was reading on texasbowhunter. i currently have a Ram 3500 and a Ford 2500 both with the KO2's. 50/50 highway and dirt/washout/terrel rock.

Dang, just put in my truck specs for the 3500 and only 3 tires come up on discount's website. Nitto EXO Grappler, Nitto Ridge Grappler and BFG Mud terrain T/A KM2.  The NITO are the cheepest at 290 and the BFG are close to 400. They dont have the KO2's on there which is what I've been buying.

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Sounds like it's too late since you already bought them, but if mileage is a concern, it's hard to beat the Michelin LTX M/S2 

Solid tire, but I think the AT looks a little better.  Michelin for miles, though, no question. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2018 at 6:01 PM, Errestaurants said:

Over on TexasBowHunter ive read of guys getting 65K on Nitto's Grappler. Kinda wanting to see if anyone else runs those

Too late, but I've got a set of NItto Ridge Grapplers that I love.  Good traction, quiet for an AT... we will see what kind of mileage I get, but so far, so good.  I've only got about 13K miles on them now. 

I ran the KO2 on my truck and really liked them; they had a really tough sidewall which is handy filling up feeders and driving around in mesquite country. My previous set of tires were the Michelin AT 2's. They were great tires but definitely more of a highway tire than an all terrain. I ran Nitto's about 8 years ago and never liked them; they wore fast IMO.

I got 86,000 miles on my last set of Michelins.  It started to get a little unsettling the last week they were on my truck. I had no idea I had put that many miles on them until the Discount Tire guy started laughing when I asked how much I put on them and he looked it up.  86k on 70k tires. Nice!

I got 86,000 miles on my last set of Michelins.  It started to get a little unsettling the last week they were on my truck. I had no idea I had put that many miles on them until the Discount Tire guy started laughing when I asked how much I put on them and he looked it up.  86k on 70k tires. Nice!

Yep. Always Michelins. Always.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I hate to say it but Discount Tire failed me hard this week. Bought a used car about 6 months ago and started to feel a vibration like a tire out of balance. Went to DT in Decatur, told them about the vibration and asked for a balance and rotate, which they did free of charge (I didn't buy the tires there, but I'm a regular customer). The vibration gets worse and I can see movement in the steering wheel so I take it to my local shop tell them to check it out. Turns out my tires are shit. Cords are broken on 2 of them and I'm lucky they didn't blow while I'm cruising 75mph on the way to work. Bought 4 new Michelins from them. They were a little higher than DT, but the service was worth it.

Edited by RPM

Speaking of things that don't have to do with tires, I have a question about tires.

I have a 2007 GT, when purchased had (and still has) a set of Continentals from 2013.  The car has low mileage for its age (I got it at 71K) and the tires were and are in good shape treadwise.  

I have inspection/registration this month, so I ran it by my local wrench monkey and asked his opinion, since I'd likely get it inspected there.  I asked him to look at the tires and let me know what about it.  He said the tread is good, some sidewall rot, but the tires are from 2013 so they wouldn't pass.  Of course the guy who actually inspects the car is probably not the counter guy but one of the underlings.

I meandered down to Discount and talked to the guy there and he said that any shop is required to fail the tires after 10 years, but they shouldn't do it now for these (which are of course about 7-8).

What say you?  Ever had your tires fail inspection simply due to age and not condition?  

I have no problems about getting new ones but figure why bother now if not needed?  Thankyouverymuch.