Tires

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Confession: I’ve been buying tires for decades and I’ve long wondered if the differences between tires is not much more than marketing. The salespeople or websites love to show you the tread pattern. I don’t have a PhD is tread patterns. I can understand you may need a different tire in Phoenix as opposed to Seattle due to weather but most of us fall in the middle.

im in Houston so I need a tire that can handle freeways driving between 1-100 mph. Dry, hot condition or hurricanes. Brand new roads or pot holes that rattle the frame. What you got for me?

I also have noticed that manufacturers constantly eliminate top selling tires. You buy a new car with whatever tire brand/model. You’re satisfied with that tire but you can never find that exact tire 4 years later.  Disclaimer the sample size on my theory is 5 cars.

im comfortable working (attempting) to fix many things under the hood but tires are a mystery to me.

car?  costco? get:

23 hours ago, Okie State said:

I have Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons on both vehicles right now and they're great tires. Will probably stick with these going forward.

• Like 1

Every time I switch from Michelin I end up going back to them. Hopefully I’m done trying different

Discount tire + Michelin is the way to go. (Costco is good as well if it works for you. Definitely the place for car batteries)

Only downside I had was when I was on a road-trip in New Mexico and a fairly new tire got ruined on a Sunday. Discount tire isn’t open on Sunday so I had to buy an oddball tire at a pep boys

Also. How long do tires last? I have a 4 year old 4 runner with not many miles and tires in great shape. But I’m wondering if heat, age, rot etc makes them needing to be replaced before the usual causes. Seems like driving 80 mph on 5 year tires might not be a good idea even if they still look good.

I have no idea. Never had this issue before. They usually show their age

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

Also. How long do tires last? I have a 4 year old 4 runner with not many miles and tires in great shape. But I’m wondering if heat, age, rot etc makes them needing to be replaced before the usual causes. Seems like driving 80 mph on 5 year tires might not be a good idea even if they still look good.

I’ve put many years on vehicle tires.  Trailer tires are 3 years whether they have a mile or 50k on them.  It didn’t take me long to learn that lesson, and I’ve followed it with good results. 

10 hours ago, Updawg said:

Usually 5-6 years before dry rot sets in depending upon where you are - humidity slows dry rot a bit.  Check the tires for cracking along the sidewall and on the treads.  

I was running a set of 12 year old tires on my truck that had less than 10,000 miles on them.  No signs of dry rot and never had an issue, but it terrified me every time I was driving above 30 mph.  Replaced the tires and determined that the spare was 28 years old.  Kid working at Discount Tire said that was the oldest tire he'd ever seen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 8:16 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Usually 5-6 years before dry rot sets in depending upon where you are - humidity slows dry rot a bit.  Check the tires for cracking along the sidewall and on the treads.  

Happens a lot with Michelins.  If you are not putting significant miles/year on them, they will rot out before the tread wear warrants replacing them.  I had AT2's on my truck when I bought it and finally had to get a new pair @ 60K miles because of a flat at the ranch.  Still had a little bit of tread on them

image.png.24a989de5a45ba181cc19c532339b0bc.png

• Hook 'Em 1