2020 Texas Rangers Offseason

CowtownHorn

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I wonder how much? So Minor, Lynn, Gibson

Looks like 3 year, 30 mil.  Why not make a run at Bumgardner or someone and let the young guys battle for the 5th spot ( Allard, Burke, Hearne, ect. ).

Probably still need some bullpen help, do we even have a closer next year?

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like 3 year, 30 mil.  Why not make a run at Bumgardner or someone and let the young guys battle for the 5th spot ( Allard, Burke, Hearne, ect. ).

Probably still need some bullpen help, do we even have a closer next year?

I hope they still plan on making a run for Wheeler.

9 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Sigh....

So, Jake Diekman 2.0.........

Gibson showed real promise with a strong full season of work in 2015 before turning in matching 5.07 ERAs in both 2016 and 2017. He turned the corner in 2018, when he ran up a 3.62 ERA over 196 2/3 innings. His 2019 results are disappointing by comparison. After a late lull, he finished with a 4.84 ERA in 160 frames. Those results, it should be noted, can in some ways be attributed to recent health troubles — though none involving his arm. Rather, Gibson lost roughly 25 pounds last winter due to a bout of e-coli, and he was never fully able to put the weight back on and build up to full strength. Late in the season, he missed time due to further gastrointestinal issues when he diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/rangers-making-progress-on-deal-with-kyle-gibson.html

Edited by SurlyBDR

Not totally buying it yet, but this is what Evan Grant says.

By Evan Grant

8:14 PM on Nov 27, 2019

This has all the markings of Rangers’ winters of the recent past.

Yet is nothing like them.

On Wednesday, the Rangers jumped into the free agency market, agreeing to terms with right-hander Kyle Gibson on a three-year, $30 million contract, according to three MLB sources. The contract is still pending a physical exam. The Rangers will also have to create a spot on the 40-man roster for Gibson. It’s not likely the deal will become official until early next week.

If you are thinking this sounds a lot like the signing of Mike Minor following the 2017 season and Lance Lynn last year, you would be right. Both were considered middle-of-the-rotation starters with upside. Both received three-year deals in the same financial range; Lynn’s deal is identical, while Minor’s was for $28 million.

If the Rangers get from Gibson anything close to the production they’ve received from Minor and Lynn, it will be another successful mid-range free agent pitching signing.

And that is where the similarity ends.

Where Minor and Lynn represented the bulk of the Rangers’ offseason investments the last two years, Gibson represents only an ante. He is a hedge. The big bets are still in play.

Two weeks ago, general manager Jon Daniels kicked off the GM meetings by saying the Rangers would participate for upper-level free agents, contrary to the recent past.

“The last couple of years, we really haven’t explored it,” Daniels said then. “We didn’t feel it was the right time. This year, we are going to look at everything. Our goal is to get better, period. There are a couple of spots more [available] than others. We have signed [top free agents] before and at some point I have to suspect we will again.”

Gibson, 32, represents depth for the rotation. He’s averaged 173 innings over the last six years. He went 13-7 with a 4.84 ERA in 2019, but faded down the stretch, due, at least in part, to a flare up with ulcerative colitis. He lost 20 pounds over the course of the season. His condition appears to be well-managed at the moment. Still, his fastball did tick up to a career-best 93 mph average and his slider has always been considered above average. That is what you need to know about Gibson.

Well, that, and this: He never has been the primary target of the winter. Those remain third baseman Anthony Rendon and starter Zack Wheeler. I listed them alphabetically, not necessarily according to priority. I’m not sure there is any separation between them. The Rangers, according to sources, are pushing for both. They are expected to have a face-to-face meeting with Rendon before the winter meetings. It is believed Daniels has already met with Wheeler. If the Rangers don’t get one or either, there are other options, too.

To add both of them – in addition to Gibson – would require an investment in the range of $60 million per year, which is only about double what the initial rough estimates of the team’s willingness to add payroll for 2020 had been. Conventional wisdom has Rendon getting $30 million or more (emphasis on “or more”) and Wheeler, who has become the most popular pitcher on the market, pushing $20 million.

With the Rangers’ current payroll commitments for 2020, such an investment would drive the payroll back above $160 million and towards the top third of MLB, which is where it was before the Rangers started their rebuild. It would signify that ownership believes the team is ready to take a significant step forward as it moves into a new stadium that includes a $500 million subsidy from the City of Arlington.

It still wouldn’t solve all of the Rangers’ issues. There would still be questions about catcher, about three-fourths of the infield and about the back of the bullpen. We’ve said this before, but it bears repeating: It’s probably not really feasible to address all the team’s woes in a single offseason. No matter what the Rangers do, Houston, as long as MLB doesn’t scuttle the team with suspensions, is going to go into the 2020 season as the AL West favorite. Oakland isn’t far behind.

But the Rangers would have a top-tier rotation and could have a far deeper lineup. And it would signal to the rest of the division that they are coming.

That’s what makes the signing of a middle-of-the-rotation starter this winter look a lot different than the same type of signings the last two years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Digging the pant stripes surprisingly. 

official new park playing dimensions released too, but I don’t think anyone cares as there’s nothing crazy about them. 

The dimensions tipped the cap to Beltre, Pudge, Young, and Oates.   Pretty cool.

Paul Lukas at Uni-Watch with a review. 

I like them more than him but I think he's absolutely right when he says

Overall: The Rangers keep tinkering with their look, which keeps introducing more inconsistencies to a design that was never that strong to begin with. They need to blow it all up and start over. Lose the clunky font, decide whether you’re a blue team or a red team, cut down on the number of uniforms, and either go classic/retro or go modern. As it stands now, this team has seriously lost its way.

https://uni-watch.com/2019/12/05/whats-my-name-rangers-reclaim-identity-with-new-uni-set/

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Paul Lukas at Uni-Watch with a review. 

I like them more than him but I think he's absolutely right when he says

Overall: The Rangers keep tinkering with their look, which keeps introducing more inconsistencies to a design that was never that strong to begin with. They need to blow it all up and start over. Lose the clunky font, decide whether you’re a blue team or a red team, cut down on the number of uniforms, and either go classic/retro or go modern. As it stands now, this team has seriously lost its way.

https://uni-watch.com/2019/12/05/whats-my-name-rangers-reclaim-identity-with-new-uni-set/

I'm on board with the blow it up.  The look is so generic.

On 12/4/2019 at 1:35 PM, mdmost said:

Kinda like that all powder blue. Was hoping they'd switch the logo on the hat just a bit. Not that I dislike the T. I just like the older ones better.

So when the hell are the blues going to be worn?