2020 Texas Rangers Offseason

CowtownHorn

Unless it's for a great hall of starting pitching talent, trading Mazara could be a huge mistake. He's young, still developing in the right direction, one of their few power hitters that hits for decent average and likely to get better, and a great outfield arm.

Rumor is he's being traded for another outfielder.

White Sox To Acquire Nomar Mazara

By Connor Byrne | December 10, 2019 at 11:05pm CDT

The Rangers and White Sox have agreed on a trade that will send outfielder Nomar Mazara to Chicago, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reports. Outfielder Steele Walker is going to Texas in return, per MLB.com’s TR Sullivan (via Twitter).

More to come.

Steele Walker | Rank: 6 (Preseason: 11)

Team: Winston-Salem Dash (A Adv) ETA: 2021 Position: OF Age: 23 DOB: 07/30/1996 Bats: L Throws: L Height: 5' 11" Weight: 190 lb. Drafted: 2018, 2nd (46) - CWS

Watch

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 45 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50

The White Sox got the best college hitter in the 2018 Draft when they took Nick Madrigal with the fourth overall choice, and they may have gotten the second-best when Walker was unexpectedly available in the second round. He improved throughout his college career at Oklahoma, where he played alongside Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray in the outfield. Though he looked tired and struggled with his rhythm at the plate after signing for an over-slot $2 million, he has a track record of performing well with wood bats, leading the Northwoods League in hitting (.406) in 2016 and topping the the U.S. collegiate national team's regulars in OPS (.931) the next summer.

Walker has better hand-eye coordination and pitch recognition than most hitters, and he uses a controlled approach to drill line drives to all fields. While he's not big, his quick left-handed bat, deceptive strength and hitting prowess should give him at least average power. He also should post high on-base percentages as he continues to refine his plate discipline.

Walker's bat is his lone above-average tool, but his instincts help him play above his physical ability and his all-around game earns him some Mark Kotsay comparisons. Despite average speed and fringy arm strength, he proved capable of playing both center and right field for the Sooners. Chicago loves his makeup and thinks he can develop into a solid center fielder with more instruction.

How long are we going to endure Jon Daniels? Another fucking shitty trade. I know Mazara was not the bad ass we thought he would be but he could still get there. He's still young. He was trending in the right direction. We trade for someone worse and worse potential hasn't been past A Ball. Good job Daniels. Awesome.

But he is on his way to getting the Cowboys treatment. "Hey remember when we went to the WS a decade ago? Yeah well he is going to get a complete pass for everything after".

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

How long are we going to endure Jon Daniels? Another fucking shitty trade. I know Mazara was not the bad ass we thought he would be but he could still get there. He's still young. He was trending in the right direction. We trade for someone worse and worse potential hasn't been past A Ball. Good job Daniels. Awesome.

But he is on his way to getting the Cowboys treatment. "Hey remember when we went to the WS a decade ago? Yeah well he is going to get a complete pass for everything after".

He really was t trending in any direction.   His slash line has been stagnant for 4 big league seasons.   He’s basically a .260 hitter that will get you 20 HR and 70RBi per season.   He’s an awful outfielder and a baseclogger.   I wanted to see him improve and liked him, but when you have to improve outfield defense dramatically, he either needed to go or needed to learn to play 1B.   

21 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

He really was t trending in any direction.   His slash line has been stagnant for 4 big league seasons.   He’s basically a .260 hitter that will get you 20 HR and 70RBi per season.   He’s an awful outfielder and a base clogger.   I wanted to see him improve and liked him, but when you have to improve outfield defense dramatically, he either needed to go or needed to learn to play 1B.   

This is where I'm at.  I wanted things to be different with Nomar but they weren't.  

He has a career 1.7WAR.  Over 4 years. He was incredibly frustrating.  

Plus he was part of a logjam of outfielders.  Gallo needs to play RF.

I get hating on JD even though I don't totally agree with it but IMO this shouldn't be a reason to be mad.  

Maybe he'll break out in Chicago. I'm sure he will with my luck.  It was time to move on.  I want to find a way to give Willie and Solak as many at bats as possible next year.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Great hall indeed. 

college player, fine. But 23 and not projected to mlb until 2021 when he’s 25?

Probably AA ball player this year, which would be a step up for him. At least Steele is a center field candidate. I hope it pans out, but I have a feeling Mazara will eventually slide into beast mode, or at least become a steady rock regular for a contending team.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Probably AA ball player this year, which would be a step up for him. At least Steele is a center field candidate. I hope it pans out, but I have a feeling Mazara will eventually slide into beast mode, or at least become a steady rock regular for a contending team.

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

curious what makes you think that? 

Narrator: He won't.

Was reading on another forum and somebody said there are some thoughts that Mazara might actually be closer to 30 than his stated age of 24. I know the Dominicans were bad about this for awhile -- this still a thing? Are there age whispers about Mazara?

seems like a lot of fans are holding onto the "rangers let guys go and they blossom" narrative.  since JD who has done that?  Chris Davis?  that dude sucks.  Adrian Gonzales, that was a bad deal.  Kyle Hendricks?  Thats probably the best one.  Who else am i forgetting that we traded away or let walk that turned into a badass?

36 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

seems like a lot of fans are holding onto the "rangers let guys go and they blossom" narrative.  since JD who has done that?  Chris Davis?  that dude sucks.  Adrian Gonzales, that was a bad deal.  Kyle Hendricks?  Thats probably the best one.  Who else am i forgetting that we traded away or let walk that turned into a badass?

We let Nelson Cruz walk, and he's continued his HR rampage for 6 years...

Holy shit, didn't realize he was up to 401 career HR's.  

Edited by Trey3216

you talking about the nelson cruz that got popped for peds and chose to sit out instead of appealing in the middle of a playoff run because he wanted to get paid in the offseason, then didnt take our qualifying offer to sign a one year deal with the orioles?  AFTER he game 6'd us?  we didn't let him walk.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

you talking about the nelson cruz that got popped for peds and chose to sit out instead of appealing in the middle of a playoff run because he wanted to get paid in the offseason, then didnt take our qualifying offer to sign a one year deal with the orioles?  AFTER he game 6'd us?  we didn't let him walk.

Oh, I hear ya.  But, you know, we've been lacking a RH power bat for quite a while.  

2 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

We traded for a guy who is only one year younger and not even putting up stats that Mazara is doing and he's in Single A vs Mazara in the MLB. It's a stupid fucking trade. Want to trade Mazara? Cool. But getting this return? What is the point at all? We get a worse player and it's not like he is some very young player. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

We traded for a guy who is only one year younger and not even putting up stats that Mazara is doing and he's in Single A vs Mazara in the MLB. It's a stupid fucking trade. Want to trade Mazara? Cool. But getting this return? What is the point at all? We get a worse player and it's not like he is some very young player. 

not defending the trade.  

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

Do people not realize we had a 2 run lead AFTER Cruz's blunder? That cancelled it out. Why not mention everything after that. And before that. Like having Michael Young on the field, who was fucking terrible at defense. Ron Washington is the main reason for that loss. He let Cruz stay on the field instead of putting German in there. German was ready to go and running out to RF and Cruz called him off. Ron Washington being the loser he is allowed that happen.

Also, the Rangers dropped the ball so much on the Cruz situation. You want the guy to serve a 50 game suspension the season coming after his free agency? Then you take care of him right then and there. Give him a contract extension or the promise of one. Why would Cruz want that 50 game suspension hanging over his head in the offseason if he had no promise from his team they would take care of him for appealing? But nope, we let that shit linger and we made some bullshit QO. No shit he was going elsewhere after that. I don't blame him. He wanted out after that.Having Cruz for the long term here, especially 2015 and 2016 would have been beneficial. Dude is still light years better than anything we have currently. 

Edited by Vic Mackey

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Do people not realize we had a 2 run lead AFTER Cruz's blunder? That cancelled it out. Why not mention everything after that. And before that. Like having Michael Young on the field, who was fucking terrible at defense. Ron Washington is the main reason for that loss. He let Cruz stay on the field instead of putting German in there. German was ready to go and running out to RF and Cruz called him off. Ron Washington being the loser he is allowed that happen.

Also, the Rangers dropped the ball so much on the Cruz situation. You want the guy to serve a 50 game suspension the season coming after his free agency? Then you take care of him right then and there. Give him a contract extension or the promise of one. Why would Cruz want that 50 game suspension hanging over his head in the offseason if he had no promise from his team they would take care of him for appealing? But nope, we let that shit linger and we made some bullshit QO. No shit he was going elsewhere after that. I don't blame him. He wanted out after that.Having Cruz for the long term here, especially 2015 and 2016 would have been beneficial. Dude is still light years better than anything we have currently. 

wasnt that endy chavez?

19 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Age doesn't matter much. We'll have 4 years of control. We just saved 5M in salary. Mazara was going to ARB 3 eligible next year and looking a salary of 8M. If they use some of that savings to sign Rendon or Donaldson. Then I'm cool with it. 

I also think you'll see Walker or Heineman  get flipped in another trade this year. 

I'm not ready to judge Steele, who was a pretty highly touted prospect himself.  He very possibly will end up being very good, and more useful defensively. Maybe a change will be good for him and he starts to tear up the minors.

I just hate losing Mazara because he is one of the few young rangers with plate discipline and apparent maturity along with his natural power. He showed signs of being a real force the last two seasons, even carried the offense at times. He doesn't have the kinds of problems that sink young prospects. He had a lot of the most important things already under control. And the Rangers lineup is so full of Ks and wild swings they need a guy with some discipline with potential for good average that can also produce runs.

He may never have developed into anything but a mediocre hitter with flashes of big production, but I don't get wanting to be in such a hurry to get rid of a young guy that isn't one of the reasons you suck, and could still very well turn the corner, and get a return that's a punt down the road for another guy who has been somewhat disappointing.

We weren’t willing to go to 7 years for Rendon. A player of his caliber willing to go to a well below average team, you do what it takes to get him.
Jon Daniels has had zero success as a GM without Nolan holding his hand.
I'm not generally here for the JD bashing, we really don't know for instance what the actual trade offers were last year or what marching orders he is getting from ownership, but it is absurd if he went to Rendon with 5 years and thought it would be taken seriously. If ownership said no more than 5 then he never should have gotten involved in talks.

if we offered the guy 33 million a year but ownership didnt want to go to 7, not sure how that's JD's fault.  33 mil a year is a boatload of cash for the rangers to offer someone.  not sure when the the last time was they made an offer that big to anyone.

40 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

My HSO:  those powder blues are an abomination.  the font looks like a cereal box.  the tone is off.  probably why rendon said no.

You're not the only one who hates these new powder blues. And I fucking LOVE the mid-70's powder blues.

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

rangers subreddit clamoring for arenado.  we dont have nearly enough pieces to pull that off. 

next stop on the disappointment train is a Ryu/castellanos pairing i guess?

I think Ryu would be good here.  I'm hoping for Donaldson as a bridge to the younger guys.

I want no part of mortgaging the farm for Arrenado.  Plus he has an opt out after 21 (I think)